I'm leaving Chicago, and I'm never coming back

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I sure as hell didn't see mountains of trash when I was walking around HK, an equally vertical city...

Hong Kong is very vertical, not sure how long you were there for. Perhaps their trash pickup is better. But they'd have to pick it up like every day to compete with the mounds of it. When you are talking 20 story plus buildings all over the places, that's a lot of trash. Cans would just take up too much space.

I live in what's considered practically a neighborhood of Manhattan, in NJ. Some people use all cans, some use bags. It's never been a quality of life issue. Never smells like trash either. It's a temporary eyesore, but just part of urban living.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
It's "Martial Law" you dope.

Oops, you're right. I meant martial law and daylight curfews to control all the citizens who feel the need to rob and kill each other. But even then "marshal" law might also work nicely in Chicago.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Hong Kong is very vertical, not sure how long you were there for. Perhaps their trash pickup is better. But they'd have to pick it up like every day to compete with the mounds of it. When you are talking 20 story plus buildings all over the places, that's a lot of trash. Cans would just take up too much space.

I live in what's considered practically a neighborhood of Manhattan, in NJ. Some people use all cans, some use bags. It's never been a quality of life issue. Never smells like trash either. It's a temporary eyesore, but just part of urban living.

It seems HK's pickup scheme is a lot more efficient/aggressive than NYC. That said, apparently there is a major problem with the volume of garbage and low recycling rate causing a landfill crisis.

NYC probably needs to build a large scale pneumatic system in Manhattan to handle waste. These are more common in Europe and Roosevelt Island in NYC actually has one in operation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/nyregion/garbage-collection-without-the-noise-or-the-smell.html

A side benefit is also you can get rid of garbage trucks for anything but oversize or construction waste.

Nov 8, 2012
The problem is that the rich in Chicago don't pay enough taxes. More taxes would keep people there. Everyone knows this.

They are... #1 for Sales Tax. Plus they have a 3.75% income tax.... AND some of the highest property taxes in the land. It is indeed true that they are kings of trying to tax the rich more - and it's clearly not working.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They are... #1 for Sales Tax. Plus they have a 3.75% income tax.... AND some of the highest property taxes in the land. It is indeed true that they are kings of trying to tax the rich more - and it's clearly not working.

The state imposed income tax is 3.75%, the city doesn't have one.

Overall the local/state tax burden is comparable to places like NJ, NY, CA, etc.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You know what, I'm busted. :) Carry on with your Chicago sucks crusade that seems to generate a woody among conservatives around here.

Hey, at least you are man enough to admit that you were wrong, I like that. Chicago sucks crusade? Not me. I bash all cities/people equally if they did wrong, from Detroit to Chicago to New Orleans and such and support them fully when they did the right thing or truly were victims. Facts are facts.

Conservatives? Me? Nope, not a chance. Can't stand their stance about abortion and obsession about sex, just to name a few. And I can't stand liberals about their ILLEGAL immigration stance.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Hi! I am one of those people that left Illinois. I did so in 2014. Tax burden was certainly one of the factors. Property taxes are absolutely crazy. I was paying almost $10,000 a year for a house in the country, on a well and septic system in a small, modest school system. That same house 20 minutes in a larger city with a bigger school system would have been close to $16,000. I saw my income taxes go up by 50% (although they have gone back down since I left) and I saw tons of crazy sales taxes. The larger city near where I lived (Peoria, IL) had a 10% sales tax on food and "entertainment". Movies, restaurants, bars, ect. 10% tax. It was insane.

No question there is an issue with money in IL. It's some of the worst politics in the country with something like 4 out of the last 7 governors in jail. Woohoo! We sure could pick 'em!. I lived in the flattest, most boring part of the state and was also tired of the weather and total lack of anything interesting. I also lived near a place almost entirely propped up by Caterpillar manufacturing. If they finally made good on their threats to leave it'd be another rust belt victim overnight. I was just done with it.

That being said, no real ill will towards Chicago. It's one of the nicest large cities in the country with an amazing combination of downtown atmosphere, community and overall decent place to visit. I've been there a ton of times with my wife and my wife and kids and have never had any of the problems this guy talks about. Most of Chicago is very friendly and safe. There's pockets that indeed warzones, but stay out of them and it's not a big deal. Same goes for many cities I've lived in.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Did you see what I was replying to?

This is what the other poster said:

Not about if more poor people in the South or not. Apple =! orange.

It is my understanding that standard housing in the south looks like something like this:

washletter2-Jim%20West.jpg

That type of housing is not typically available in the North. If that is how you are living in the South, then a McJob could easily pay for the housing.

While the above may be the South's present, it represents the North's future. We are in the decline of the Western civilization, perhaps we will live long enough to see its fall.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I bash all cities/people equally if they did wrong, from Detroit to Chicago to New Orleans and such and support them fully when they did the right thing or truly were victims. Facts are facts.

Well your OP mentions Democrats/Progressives specifically so I don't think an unreasonable assumption was made. That said, what exactly is it that upsets you about cites?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It is my understanding that standard housing in the south looks like something like this:

That type of housing is not typically available in the North. If that is how you are living in the South, then a McJob could easily pay for the housing.

While the above may be the South's present, it represents the North's future. We are in the decline of the Western civilization, perhaps we will live long enough to see its fall.

Funny you say that this type of housing is typically not available in the north while posting a skyline of Detroit. Is that not the Mariott center in the background?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

See now you are trolling and making sweeping stereotyping statements. I will reply more when you are serious.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Funny you say that this type of housing is typically not available in the north while posting a skyline of Detroit. Is that not the Mariott center in the background?

Damn I think you are right. I guess the North is following the South down the drain faster than I previously thought. The future of America has arrived for all of us....

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
See now you are trolling and making sweeping stereotyping statements. I will reply more when you are serious.

If I don't let my inner troll out from time to time he gets upset.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Brave of you to post pictures of your home here. I would say sabbath mode on the stove is the least of your wife's problems.

Feb 16, 2005

to be fair, we have some shit-shacks here in the cornfields.
many look like meth labs pre-explosion

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I kinda wish people really were leaving the Chicago area, it's totally packed around here. Despite what people say though there are a lot of good companies and jobs to be had around here so people seem to be constantly moving out here. Plus despite what people keep saying about the city itself it's really quite segregated so it's pretty easy to avoid the "warzone" that people keep describing it as.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I kinda wish people really were leaving the Chicago area, it's totally packed around here. Despite what people say though there are a lot of good companies and jobs to be had around here so people seem to be constantly moving out here. Plus despite what people keep saying about the city itself it's really quite segregated so it's pretty easy to avoid the "warzone" that people keep describing it as.

I hate going to Chicago because of the traffic. It is a nightmare. Is there any greater waste of a life than one spent in gridlock? For that reason alone I would never live there.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I hate going to Chicago because of the traffic. It is a nightmare. Is there any greater waste of a life than one spent in gridlock? For that reason alone I would never live there.

It sucks to drive there, for sure. Particularly downtown. That's why you bus/train/walk most places. Most large cities have traffic issues though. Chicago isn't bad as a lot of them.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Chicago traffic is way better than this shithole that is DC metro area D: