I'm leaving Chicago, and I'm never coming back

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
For some people the cons of heavy traffic and higher crime are more than outweighed by the other amenities the City provides that you would not find in a suburban or rural area.
There is no reason to overwork yourself trying to fit in where you don't belong. Most people in cities are just chumps who aren't really part of the hustle and bustle of the city.

You? I don't know. But most, anyway.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
There is no reason to overwork yourself trying to fit in where you don't belong. Most people in cities are just chumps who aren't really part of the hustle and bustle of the city.

You? I don't know. But most, anyway.
I find Chicago to be a nice city. Everything is within walking distance and I can get downtown to work within 30 minutes day in and day out regardless of weather and traffic. I have a car and drive it occasionally. It's true that there's really bad traffic here, but virtually everything I need is within a 10 minute walk radius of my apartment - multiple grocery stores, liquor store, my bank, library, multiple coffee shops, post office, etc. Once I get older I could see myself moving back to a suburban area, but for now I am happy living in the city.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Before anyone says "but that was just one person, let him leave".

Look here -
"For the third consecutive year, Illinois has lost more residents than any other state, losing 37,508 people in 2016, which puts its population at the lowest it has been in nearly a decade, according to U.S. census data released Tuesday."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...is-population-decline-met-20161220-story.html
thought NJ lost the most residents?

anyway, doesn't look good for Chicago.
white flight usually means the neighborhood (in this case the entire city) will be in the dumpsters for decades.
look at Detroit.

then there will be anti-blight program put into place where $millions$ will be pumped in for Gentrification.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
anyway, doesn't look good for Chicago.
white flight usually means the neighborhood (in this case the entire city) will be in the dumpsters for decades.
look at Detroit.

then there will be anti-blight program put into place where $millions$ will be pumped in for Gentrification.

It's not "white flight". The city has lost like 200k African Americans in the larger national trend of them leaving the north for the south. Actual population in the city has been more or less stable lately.

Chicago will never be Detroit because it isn't reliant on any single industry.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
It's not "white flight". The city has lost like 200k African Americans in the larger national trend of them leaving the north for the south. Actual population in the city has been more or less stable lately.

The same is true in the Houston area, most of the minorities that live in the neighborhoods where I live moved from Houston proper to here.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004

I'm pretty sure Detroit thought they were too big to fail as well.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
It's not about size, it's about economic diversification. Detroit suffered the fate of the many company towns before it.
Detroit was a failure in leadership at all levels not, the failure of one industry. The car companies don't get a free ride as they eagerly helped that failure along while thanking them for all the fish.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Detroit was a failure in leadership at all levels not, the failure of one industry. The car companies don't get a free ride as they eagerly helped that failure along while thanking them for all the fish.

You mean pumped & dumped by the Jerb Creators & the rent collectors? Say it ain't so!