I'm leaving Chicago, and I'm never coming back

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Do you know how many cans a large residential building would need to put out on a garbage night for example? Or a large mixed use building? You gotta remember, NYC is a very vertical city. They would completely block the sidewalks and/or streets for quite a bit of length. Bags can get piled up on top of each other. I think on the more residential areas of the city, where it's mostly townhouses, brownstones and other buildings usually not more than 4-5 stories high, they use cans.

Yeah it's not like New York hasn't heard of garbage cans, there is just way, way too much of it to work that way.

My building has about 50 units. We store garbage in the building and then on garbage days move it all to the curb. It's usually a garbage mountain.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Why leave? The next mayoral election will have a Democrat winner that will make it all better. I mean, all those promises throughout the preceding decades didn't come to fruition because the right team wasn't in place. This shit is proven to work when the right people are in place. Right?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Yeah it's not like New York hasn't heard of garbage cans, there is just way, way too much of it to work that way.

My building has about 50 units. We store garbage in the building and then on garbage days move it all to the curb. It's usually a garbage mountain.

I sure as hell didn't see mountains of trash when I was walking around HK, an equally vertical city...

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
That's pretty funny that a guy who doesn't live in Chicago ranted about leaving the city he doesn't live in and people bought it.

I love Chicago, I loved there for a year quite a long time ago and just went back recently. Amazing city.

As for the NYC garbage stench though, Jesus. I'm always amazed that condos in SoHo cost a million+ and if you open your window all you smell is hot diapers.

Yeah, we have friends who recently moved and bought in Chicago. Love the city. We walk all around at night, take the subway, go to the Cubs games and never had an issue. Love how the OP posted a single person's perspective then adds a link of the state of Illinois and ignores everything in that article on why people are leaving which was a huge 6,000 people leaving Chicago the first decline since 1990.

"In general, I think the (slowed growth) is a combination of lower births and higher deaths," he said. "The lower births can be chalked up to the recession and post-recession period, as young people and millennials are putting off having kids. The question is, 'Will they have them?' "

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Trash_bins_in_Regensburg.jpg

Unfortunately, I think the design of the city does not leave much room for the storage of trash and recycle totes like above.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Unfortunately, I think the design of the city does not leave much room for the storage of trash and recycle totes like above.

I'm not saying it's the solution. It's a solution. I mean how the hell does Hong Kong do it?

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Blame anybody you want, but for the love of God don't blame the migratory nature of Job Creator Capitalism.

The job creators are just doing their part in providing the cheap goods and services that Americans demand but are not willing to pay for an American to do it, because our liberal college educated corporate types tell them so.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I'm not saying it's the solution. It's a solution. I mean how the hell does Hong Kong do it?

I was in NYC in November and there are some streets more well kept than others. I did notice that a number of tenant buildings had little fenced in area in the front of the building running along it that was all trash and recycling totes. I think between culture and fiscal priorities clean sidewalks and streets is low on the priority list. Just got back from dinner with friends who were in NYC for NYE and they were telling me that they saw lots of drunk people walking the streets barefoot. Probably ended up with shards of glass in their feet.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I was in NYC in November and there are some streets more well kept than others. I did notice that a number of tenant buildings had little fenced in area in the front of the building running along it that was all trash and recycling totes. I think between culture and fiscal priorities clean sidewalks and streets is low on the priority list. Just got back from dinner with friends who were in NYC for NYE and they were telling me that they saw lots of drunk people walking the streets barefoot. Probably ended up with shards of glass in their feet.

It's not that they are low on the priority list, it's that the city has massively more trash and other things than most cities.

I wouldn't walk barefoot either but I'm not sure if people who don't live here understand how it works.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Chicago has been a Democratic mess from the get go. So many people die there its outlandish. Marshall law should have been declared and daylight curfews imposed. You can thank liberals like Bronco Bama and "feel good" policies that do not work.

If you want to see its future, look no further than Detroit. Mostly vacant and crime ridden the majority population is of a single race. Perhaps we should start bussing people into Detroit to have more diversity.

detroit.JPG

Marshall law? You're a good little bootlicker aren't you?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Chicago has been a Democratic mess from the get go. So many people die there its outlandish. Marshall law should have been declared and daylight curfews imposed. You can thank liberals like Bronco Bama and "feel good" policies that do not work.

If you want to see its future, look no further than Detroit. Mostly vacant and crime ridden the majority population is of a single race. Perhaps we should start bussing people into Detroit to have more diversity.

detroit.JPG
It's "Martial Law" you dope.

Reactions: MongGrel and jman19

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I will leave this link from a well know source here, look at the data from the largest 15 cities in the US and see which large city is the ONLY one that loses people - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ago-losing-population-met-20160518-story.html

You are aware that manufacturing used to be centered in the midwest aren't you? We who live here are. There are only a fraction of the manufacturing jobs left. We are left with McJobs sitting on a system based on middle class jobs. If you are going to have a McJob, better to live in the South where the economies are based on an impoverished working class.

hmm2-thumb.png

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You are aware that manufacturing used to be centered in the midwest aren't you? We who live here are. There are only a fraction of the manufacturing jobs left. We are left with McJobs sitting on a system based on middle class jobs. If you are going to have a McJob, better to live in the South where the economies are based on an impoverished working class.

The South = impoverished working class?

Really? You mean people work in automotive plants in Arlington, TX (GM); San Antonio, TX (Toyota) ; Marysville, KY (Honda); and then automotive plants in AL, SC, MS, GA, TN, and on and on = impoverished class? Do you know that most, if not all of the new auto plants build in the US in the last 20-25 years are in the South? A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Texas has one of the fastest growing population in the US. People must love to get here to be impoverished, right ?

Keep insert foot into your mouth and show everyone your true color.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So this is an article written by someone who never lived in the city? Seems totally legit, OP did you get scammed?

From the article posted in the very first post of the thread:

I eventually went to college downtown and lived in the city, off and on, for another three years

Never you said? Scammed eh? :D

Reading skill is good to have.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I wouldn't live in Chicago due to the weather. An NYC winter is doable, Chicago is not. If I had to move to Chicago for work I'd move out as fast as possible.

From the OP's article "West Virginia had the greatest decline rate this year."

I guess that bastion of a red state sucks the worst.

People aren't leaving West Virginia because of high taxes. Not sure if you have been paying attention to the state of the coal industry at the moment.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
From the article posted in the very first post of the thread:

Never you said? Scammed eh? :D

Reading skill is good to have.

You know what, I'm busted. :) Carry on with your Chicago sucks crusade that seems to generate a woody among conservatives around here.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
People aren't leaving West Virginia because of high taxes. Not sure if you have been paying attention to the state of the coal industry at the moment.

But Trump is going to wave a magic wand and fix that. Well except for the fact the energy markets don't want more coal, and many jobs are being lost to automation. Even if production went up its an industry that is more automated all the time and needs significantly fewer workers than it did even 20-25 years ago. The coal industry is never to going to be what it was in the 50s-80s in WV.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The South = impoverished working class?

Really? You mean people work in automotive plants in Arlington, TX (GM); San Antonio, TX (Toyota) ; Marysville, KY (Honda); and then automotive plants in AL, SC, MS, GA, TN, and on and on = impoverished class? Do you know that most, if not all of the new auto plants build in the US in the last 20-25 years are in the South? A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Texas has one of the fastest growing population in the US. People must love to get here to be impoverished, right ?

Keep insert foot into your mouth and show everyone your true color.

Keep telling yourself that-

http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_poverty.html