I'm leaving Chicago, and I'm never coming back

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So much for paradise under Democrat/Progressive rule for years, eh?

Crime, stupidity, racism, conformity and the lowest common denominator across the entire spectrum of life have become normalized in Chicago. This has become an insane, dangerous, soul-destroying place, and I’ve had enough. I’m leaving Chicago, and I’m never coming back.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...and-i-m-never-coming-back-20170110-story.html

Before anyone says "but that was just one person, let him leave".

Look here -

For the third consecutive year, Illinois has lost more residents than any other state, losing 37,508 people in 2016, which puts its population at the lowest it has been in nearly a decade, according to U.S. census data released Tuesday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...is-population-decline-met-20161220-story.html

Last edited:

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
The problem is that the rich in Chicago don't pay enough taxes. More taxes would keep people there. Everyone knows this.

Reactions: Phynaz

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm sure the gang bangers doing the killing are doing a lot of soul searching today.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Lived in Indiana (not Chicago), now lives in Texas, and moving to Austin to be free of evil liberals.

Please.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...-destroying-chicago-unites-annoyed-chicagoans

125dfbbb1bdf15ba7f2b4461641d7903902eca47d82a45dba756579b0164cc3d.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I wouldn't live in Chicago due to the weather. An NYC winter is doable, Chicago is not. If I had to move to Chicago for work I'd move out as fast as possible.

From the OP's article "West Virginia had the greatest decline rate this year."

I guess that bastion of a red state sucks the worst.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I wouldn't live in Chicago due to the weather. An NYC winter is doable, Chicago is not. If I had to move to Chicago for work I'd move out as fast as possible.

Personally, I love summer time in NYC when the rotting piles of sidewalk garbage come into bloom. ;)

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

When half the state of wv is desperately seeking their next opioid hit I would want to bale to. WV also has major transportation issues due to geography that limit its appeal to other industries outside of mining.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004

Didn't click on the link until you posted that...

While other Midwestern states also are losing population, Lucci said the "pattern is on steroids for Illinois." This past year, just 27,839 residents left Michigan, 12,395 residents left Wisconsin and about 12,135 left Indiana, according to census data. About 6,250 residents left Missouri while Iowa had 3,392 residents leave the state.

Yeah, if you take these numbers and make them per capita it doesn't look as bad. Still bad, but can't blame Chicago politics alone.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Blame anybody you want, but for the love of God don't blame the migratory nature of Job Creator Capitalism.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Didn't click on the link until you posted that...

Yeah, if you take these numbers and make them per capita it doesn't look as bad. Still bad, but can't blame Chicago politics alone.

The article does also say that a large part of the exodus is black families going to warm sun belt states, where there are job opportunities now, leaving both the weather and high crime in their communities behind. I don't blame them.

Chicago clearly needs to get their crime rate under control. Can't control the weather but you can do something about the crime.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Blame anybody you want, but for the love of God don't blame the migratory nature of Job Creator Capitalism.

How do you propose to keep job creators from migrating?

The article does also say that a large part of the exodus is black families going to warm sun belt states, where there are job opportunities now, leaving both the weather and high crime in their communities behind. I don't blame them.

Chicago clearly needs to get their crime rate under control. Can't control the weather but you can do something about the crime.

Overlooked that, thanks, I assumed it was largely white flight tbh. I couldn't believe the first time I went through Wikipedia's list of Chicago mayors and saw how many of them went to jail for various kinds of corruption. Place has a lot of problems, and the money doesn't go where it needs to.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

It's really a confluence of factors. Fewer immigrants coming into the area, lower birth rates, boomers heading out for the sun belt, rural depopulation, and African-americans basically doing a reverse Great Migration from the north to the south. Population is shifting around inside the state as well.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
An interesting point but, I wonder if the government stats back it up. I miss having easy access to a government depository.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Chicago has been a Democratic mess from the get go. So many people die there its outlandish. Marshall law should have been declared and daylight curfews imposed. You can thank liberals like Bronco Bama and "feel good" policies that do not work.

If you want to see its future, look no further than Detroit. Mostly vacant and crime ridden the majority population is of a single race. Perhaps we should start bussing people into Detroit to have more diversity.

detroit.JPG

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Chicago has been a Democratic mess from the get go. So many people die there its outlandish. Marshall law should have been declared and daylight curfews imposed. You can thank liberals like Bronco Bama and "feel good" policies that do not work.

If you want to its future, look no further than Detroit. Mostly vacant and crime ridden the majority population is of a single race. Perhaps we should start bussing people into Detroit to have more diversity.

The Job Creators dumped 'em hard, huh?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
An interesting point but, I wonder if the government stats back it up. I miss having easy access to a government depository.

I include migration to greater automation & business consolidation in that. A Job Creator doesn't have to actually go away to not be there in terms of maintaining employment.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Personally, I love summer time in NYC when the rotting piles of sidewalk garbage come into bloom. ;)

Even with some stinky garbage, that is the exception rather than the norm, it's still the greatest city in the country :cool:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That's pretty funny that a guy who doesn't live in Chicago ranted about leaving the city he doesn't live in and people bought it.

I love Chicago, I loved there for a year quite a long time ago and just went back recently. Amazing city.

As for the NYC garbage stench though, Jesus. I'm always amazed that condos in SoHo cost a million+ and if you open your window all you smell is hot diapers.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
No seriously NYC, what is up with trashbags on sidewalks? That's Mumbai-level stuff.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Do you know how many cans a large residential building would need to put out on a garbage night for example? Or a large mixed use building? You gotta remember, NYC is a very vertical city. They would completely block the sidewalks and/or streets for quite a bit of length. Bags can get piled up on top of each other. I think on the more residential areas of the city, where it's mostly townhouses, brownstones and other buildings usually not more than 4-5 stories high, they use cans.