I'm buying a handgun

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: dmw16
I saw you said you know a lot of people the glock jammed up on. I don't know what those people are doing. Maybe they limp wrist it, but Glocks are established as some of the most reliable weapons out there. Cops, special forces, air force pilots, many organizations that need weapons that just work rely on a Glock firearm.

Also, the only way to avoid the 6 month wait is to buy from another person if such a sale is legal in your state.

Also, a few things on conceal carry. It is very important to continue to train. WHen you draw your weapon and plan to use it you better hit what you are aiming at and KNOW YOUR BACKSTOP. Regular continued instruction and range time are a must. Also, be prepared to eat asphalt or hood if you are pulled over and the officer discovers you have a permit to carry. Regardless of what you did or didnt do they will likely consider you a serious threat. Just a warning we were given in our conceal carry class...goes along with the territory.

Another reason to love Texas. Most cops don't even ask you to get out of the car and disarm you when they see the CHL.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If the grip angle of a Glock doesn't suit you, then a Springfield XD is your next best choice in the ~$500 market, IMO. Available in 9mm, .40, and .45, with 4 or 5 inch barrels, compact or full size, and the compacts you can buy a magazine extender to make it feel like a full size. The thing that I really like about the XD over the M&P, when you take the two apart, the M&P has more moving parts, more nooks and crannies, more difficult to clean. And the M&P to me, just felt very cheap. The XD feels substantial, like a quality handgun.

H&K is overpriced, but I can't say much about that because I own and love two Sigs. :)

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Triumph
If the grip angle of a Glock doesn't suit you, then a Springfield XD is your next best choice in the ~$500 market, IMO. Available in 9mm, .40, and .45, with 4 or 5 inch barrels, compact or full size, and the compacts you can buy a magazine extender to make it feel like a full size. The thing that I really like about the XD over the M&P, when you take the two apart, the M&P has more moving parts, more nooks and crannies, more difficult to clean. And the M&P to me, just felt very cheap. The XD feels substantial, like a quality handgun.

H&K is overpriced, but I can't say much about that because I own and love two Sigs. :)

the compacts have 3" barrels, so when you put the extended mag on it's a better feel but still the shorter barrel so harder to handle.

I have the xD-9 (standard is 4" barrel, 5" is "tactical" model) and love it.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
i get to pick up my new handgun on Sunday, i'm pretty excited about that! It's a Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model 9mm. I tried glocks on numerous visits to the range when i rented, and also the XD lineup, both in 9mm and .40. The XD just fit me soo much better. I'll maybe apply for CCW next year once i feel comfortable with my sidearm. It's gotten excellent reviews online as well. I suppose i'll post a review when i get back from the range.

May 31, 2001
I have an H&K USP-40 I am trying to sell. I like it, but I want the Compact. Need to put up some ads for it, as I haven't had any luck moving it on Tradio.

The one thing I dislike about it is the trigger. I would have upgraded it if I was planning to keep it.

Mine.

Those of you that keep calling H&K's overpriced... what price range do you usually see them listed in? I am just curious, as I have never paid MSRP and have a tendency to assume that others do not either.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Shotgun, I've only seen them in passing and always at MSRP. Having fired an HK and my Glock 19, I don't feel like an HK offers anything to justify the price difference.

That said, I think they're great weapons. But that said, I still think a Glock is a great choice as they are VERY reliable (not to say HK isnt).

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
the XD is just a knock off of the Glock. Most of it's added features are marginal at best. I would rather stick with the original rather than a knock off.

Jan 22, 2008
If you want to buy best handgun that will last and fire accuratey buy a Springfield, especially if you are buying a .45 (and that is what I recommend). Colts are good however you'll have to get them worked on after 1000 rounds, re-sell price will drop too.
A springfield you can fire 10 000+ and if you clean it it should be fine, re-sell price doesn't drop. Standard issue to for the military, .45, when they used it was made by springfield. Check them out, a very good buy.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
jericho 941 fs baby. small, compact, variable rounds. single action. good gun

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
.45 is not a great carry weapon. They are heavy and carry fewer rounds. Also over penetration can be an issue. read up on ballistics before dismissing the 9mm.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Another vote for XD series, amazing guns for the price. Feels worlds better in my hand than a Glock, and about as nice as a Sig, at half the price.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I wonder how all these people with jamming glocks are. Are you sure it's not just wanting to avoid the brand to justify a higher end purchase? HK and Sig are great guns though.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
I shot my friend's brand-new .45 USP Tactical the other day at the range and it was a blast! The grip might take a little getting use to, but it is an impeccable firearm. I have wanted one for a long time, but I can't really justify it. I bought my first gun, a DPMS AR-15, earlier this year for shits 'n giggles when I use it for deer hunting. (yes, .223 is legal in my state) It has also been a lot of fun and enjoyment for myself and my friends. Plus, it just looks incredible on the wall! :D

How about the Para 18.9 as an alternative?

Boo Boo

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
since you seem to not know much about weapons, i think you should just stick with airsoft and let the men carry the pistols

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Lithium381
i get to pick up my new handgun on Sunday, i'm pretty excited about that! It's a Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model 9mm. I tried glocks on numerous visits to the range when i rented, and also the XD lineup, both in 9mm and .40. The XD just fit me soo much better. I'll maybe apply for CCW next year once i feel comfortable with my sidearm. It's gotten excellent reviews online as well. I suppose i'll post a review when i get back from the range.

You are going to love that gun. I would not part with mine for anything. I have a carry gun (Ruger LCP) for my CHL since I need something tiny (live in TX where you don't wear a suit much) but if you said to take ANY handgun for multipurpose it would be the xD-9.

the XD is just a knock off of the Glock. Most of it's added features are marginal at best. I would rather stick with the original rather than a knock off.

Have you ever shot one?

So if anyone makes something similar you don't even try it out, you automatically assume it's worse?

I have shot 3 Glocks but I own an xD-9. I couldn't be happier.

Added features: included holster, palm safety, chambered round indicator, cocking indicator (I think Glocks hace the round but not sure).

Those are not trivial. Just the palm safety alone makes me feel a lot better about carrying the xD over a Glock.

Glocks are GREAT guns but dismissing something because it's a "knock off" is just plain stupid.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you're that concerned about jams you could always get a nice little 357 magnum snub revolver :)

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: thepd7

Have you ever shot one?

So if anyone makes something similar you don't even try it out, you automatically assume it's worse?

Added features: included holster, palm safety, chambered round indicator, cocking indicator (I think Glocks hace the round but not sure).

Those are not trivial. Just the palm safety alone makes me feel a lot better about carrying the xD over a Glock.

Glocks are GREAT guns but dismissing something because it's a "knock off" is just plain stupid.

This story is making me want to get an XD...
http://springfield-armory.prim...oors.com/SPstory11.php

May 31, 2001
Shotgun, I've only seen them in passing and always at MSRP. Having fired an HK and my Glock 19, I don't feel like an HK offers anything to justify the price difference.

That said, I think they're great weapons. But that said, I still think a Glock is a great choice as they are VERY reliable (not to say HK isnt).

I got my H&K USP-40 for about the same price I usually see Glock 19's for. I like Glocks, H&K's, and XD's, so I just solve the dilemma by buying all three varieties. ;)

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
Originally posted by: thepd7

Have you ever shot one?

This story is making me want to get an XD...
http://springfield-armory.prim...oors.com/SPstory11.php

never seen that but it doesn't surprise me. awesome.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
.45 is not a great carry weapon. They are heavy and carry fewer rounds. Also over penetration can be an issue. read up on ballistics before dismissing the 9mm.

Overpenetration can be an issue with anything. In fact, it's something that FMJ 9mm is known for.

ZV

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

Uh, what?

Away

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: spacejamz
Originally posted by: Away
You might want to consider a Kahr as well. They make awesome carry guns and the P40 is right up your alley. They also have the CW and PM series if you are looking for something smaller.

My Kahr MK9 and Beretta 92FS

Nice MK9. I currently have a K9 and was thinking about getting one of the smaller models in the near future.