I'm being robbed by the cleaning crew at work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
Booby trap that shit.

Just kidding, don't kill the cleaning crew.

yeah. who is going to clean up the bodies?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is what I'm going to do tomorrow. Bring in my Logitech webcam and set it up behind my monitor. Place three potential goodies in unsuspecting positions on my desk. A DVD movie, a check, and a $10 bill. What I need is some freeware video capturing software that would be compatible with the webcam. Any suggestions?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: tranceport
Webcam + motion recording software + computer = thief caught!

True dat. Our floor had a bunch of stuff missing... like expensive picture frames and such so I fired up my webcam w/ motion detector.

About 2 days later I caught one of the night guards trying to go through my desk. (almost said drawers).

However, I know the night cleaning crew cleaned out all my lollipops.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I would set up a camera in your office. Leave a few bills out in the open, maybe 2 $20 bills and 1 $10 bill. Put them in a place where it wouldnt seem suspicious but the thief would definetly see it. I would run it by management first to see if they have procedures they would like to follow in this type of situation.

Also, close that bank account.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: AdamK47
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
How about letting people know at work and calling the cops?

I have no evidence. I already canceled the checks. The checks were most likely taken a week and 1/2 ago when I had forgotten my folder. That would be the only possible opportunity for someone to rummage through the folder. I can't call the cops on them for something I think they may have done a week and 1/2 ago. I need to catch them with solid evidence.

A cancelled check can still be cleared I hope you realize. It's a false sense of security.

Also only a dope would attempt to fraud checks by taking all the checks. They would have either taken the whole book or just a random few.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: captains
tell management and coworkers. If you havent yet your pretty stupid.

I can always get a good understanding of how someones day is going based on a comment like that. That and this is Anandtech afterall. Just to calm your extreme fears and deep concern for me and my coworkers I would like to annouce that I have indeed informed my immediate manager.

TrukinDave

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2005
Set up a cheap camera and VCR when you leave.. Just hide it where they cant see it.. GREAT Evidence..

TrukinDave

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2005
Also if you are good with the internet.. You can put up a web cam and use that on the internet ... When they are cleaning watch them from your house :)

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: captains
tell management and coworkers. If you havent yet your pretty stupid.

:thumbsup:

If the cleaning crew is a outside company. The cleaning crew and company is probably bonded. The owners of the company will be concerned about their contnued earning ability and insurance premiums if one of their employees is stealing.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Why are you so sure that it is the cleaning crew. How can you "know" that the people you work with aren't to blame? As unlikely as you may think it is, it's still a possibility. Be careful who you blame before having any proof or facts.

Nobody where I work with would take it.
Why not? Maybe they are playing a practical joke.

I left it there overnight since I knew nobody I work with would touch it.
So you left it there on purpose? Again, how do you know nobody you work with would touch it?

Now that I think back to the game and look at the empty check book I came to the conclusion it was one of the cleaning crew.
And how exactly did you come to this conclusion? Based on what facts? Evidence?

Dont get me wrong, it very well could be the cleaning crew. But it could just as well be someone else that you work with.

From what I can tell though, you have already tried and convicted the cleaning crew. How would you feel if it turned out that it wasn't them?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
Booby trap that shit.

Just kidding, don't kill the cleaning crew.

How about a Victor mouse trap with a five placed on top of it???Cha-ching
broken finger. Serves the thieving bastards right...

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: akshatp
Why are you so sure that it is the cleaning crew. How can you "know" that the people you work with aren't to blame? As unlikely as you may think it is, it's still a possibility. Be careful who you blame before having any proof or facts.

Nobody where I work with would take it.
Why not? Maybe they are playing a practical joke.
uhhh by taking cheques?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
My co-worker had the same problem. Lucky he locks and puts all his things in draws at night. Do this install a camera right above your monitor and put a $10.00 on top of your keyboard. point the camera there and have software recording setup at night. That should catch them.

Yeah that will work if the thief is a moron and can't realize that the combination of a bill on a keyboard and a brand new webcam is a trap

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Just buy a cheap webcam and set up something that would attract the attention of the thief (or thieves), record them in the act, then present the evidence to the proper authorities.