I'm being robbed by the cleaning crew at work

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Most everyone at work leaves at 5:30. At around 6 to 6:30 the cleaning crew arrives and does their thing. Going from cube to cube vacuming and cleaning out the trash bins. On the 15th of last week I purchased a game at Gamestop during my lunch break when I made a reserve for BioShock. It was a $12 copy of Area 51. Not a particularly great game, but it was cheap. I left work that day at 5:30 and realized when I got home that I had forgotten the game. After a while I left home and made it to work at around 6:45. When I arrived at my desk it was gone! Nobody where I work with would take it. They are mostly 40+ year old people with far more interesting lives than my own. What would they want a computer game for? I immediatly suspected the cleaning crew, they are the only other people in the building after 5:30. If it were a better game I would have been pissed, but I let this one slide.

It wasn't until today that I noticed every single check in my check book had been taken out! It's not my primary checking account. It's an account that usually only has $150 in it for food and gas for that pay period. I rarely ever use checks from that account, so I didn't spot it until now. I thought back to who could have had possible access to it. Then I rememberd about a week and 1/2 ago I accidently left my folder at work. It's a folder I keep notes and papers from work in along with my checkbook in the side pocket. I left it there overnight since I knew nobody I work with would touch it. Now that I think back to the game and look at the empty check book I came to the conclusion it was one of the cleaning crew.

I need to catch this person! There was a $20 check issued to me for overpayment on fees for a car I had purchased. I've been thinking about setting up a camera and placing the check on my desk before leaving for the day. Either that or just plain paper money. Then have the camera record and catch the dirty bastard! Any other suggestions?

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Have you talked to your supervisors to see if there is any security surveillance videos of your area after hours?
I think a camera set up with bait is probably a good idea but I would clear it with your management first.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
How about letting people know at work and calling the cops?

I have no evidence. I already canceled the checks. The checks were most likely taken a week and 1/2 ago when I had forgotten my folder. That would be the only possible opportunity for someone to rummage through the folder. I can't call the cops on them for something I think they may have done a week and 1/2 ago. I need to catch them with solid evidence.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: funkymatt
what if they steal your camera? :shocked:

It would be a simple easy to hide webcam. I doubt they would steal the PC it was recording to.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
Have you talked to your supervisors to see if there is any security surveillance videos of your area after hours?
I think a camera set up with bait is probably a good idea but I would clear it with your management first.

There are no video recording devices in our office... at least that's what they tell me.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Thank god for budget cuts: my company no longer has money to hire a leaning staff to clean everyone's desk. It's personal responsibility now. Oh, and I leave my $200 cell phone on my desk during lunch; if someone stole it, I'd bring back a $30 baseball bat the next day.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Originally posted by: AdamK47
Originally posted by: funkymatt
what if they steal your camera? :shocked:

It would be a simple easy to hide webcam. I doubt they would steal the PC it was recording to.

Set up the camera, and report back to us. Also find out if your work is already recording the office.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
My co-worker had the same problem. Lucky he locks and puts all his things in draws at night. Do this install a camera right above your monitor and put a $10.00 on top of your keyboard. point the camera there and have software recording setup at night. That should catch them.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: binister
I would cancel that checking account ASAP.

It will be. I don't even know why I had the check book in there. It use to be my primary account before I got married, but since then we have a joint account all the bills come out of. There really is no need for it. The gas and lunch money can go into our primary account. It will be canceled tomorrow.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
Everyone where I work takes their valuables home or at least locks them in their desk. If I left something out and it got stolen they'd probably say I got what I deserved for being careless and naive.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
My co-worker had the same problem. Lucky he locks and puts all his things in draws at night. Do this install a camera right above your monitor and put a $10.00 on top of your keyboard. point the camera there and have software recording setup at night. That should catch them.

Yeah, and put a sign next to that $10 that reads: "NO, YOU'RE NOT BEING WATCHED! PROMISE!"

If he's gonna catch them in the act, he's gonna need his set-up to be a little less obvious than $10 just laying on the keyboard.

darthsidious

Jul 13, 2005
If something like this happened where I worked, people would go apeshit. Not because they are about my losses, but because they take security fairly seriously. You should contact management. Most companies are paranoid enough of stolen documents/ IP that they will do something to take care of such a problem quickly - even if it involves spending more money than the value of the items lost. It may just be a couple of small things now, but corruptible staff like that can be a goldmine for stolen IP.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Get some proof that it's the cleaning crew stealing then present the evidence to management in your company. If they don't/can't do anything, go to the police.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: AdamK47
I've been thinking about setting up a camera and placing the check on my desk before leaving for the day. Either that or just plain paper money. Then have the camera record and catch the dirty bastard! Any other suggestions?

Oh for the love of God, do it! Seriously, that would totally rock.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ImpOh, and I leave my $200 cell phone on my desk during lunch; if someone stole it, I'd bring back a $30 baseball bat the next day.
"Can you hit me now? Good!" :D

dsity

Jan 5, 2005
leaving money on the keyboard might give the cleaning crew an excuse that it was a "tip" to do a better job.

leave half of a bill visible under papers or folders. leave the camera somewhere not easily visible.

when all is complete. YOUTUBE it.

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: tranceport
Webcam + motion recording software + computer = thief caught!

I did that the last time I was out on vacation. Alas, not once did anyone come into my office, not even the cleaning lady!

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's stuff like this that makes me glad I sit in the IT support monkey room. Locked keycard door that only 5 IT support people have access to. :thumbsup:

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
So did you setup the webcam yet? Set it up, put it behind something so it's partially hidden, leave something on the desk like a movie or something, then see what happens. After you catch them, give a copy to the management of your building (not just a supervisor), call the cops and let them know you have video of someone stealing and ask what you should do, and post one on youtube so the rest of us can watch. :)

You can get the cheapie Creative Webcams for FAR lots of time so it's not like you'd be out much money...