I'm a real gamer because...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
i know my m_yaw from my m_pitch QUAKE
i know the meaning of the word azimuth TAPE READER ON C64
coinop OLD-SKOOL CABINET GAMES
combat OLD-AS-DIRT ATARI GAME
bag of rocks APPLE IIC's MOST FAMOUS GAME, DARK CASTLE
i own a military laser ELITE
my playstation is upside down ANY PS1 WOULD NEED THIS - same as RROD
game speed locked to fsb frequency - MECHWARRIOR
the incredible machine CLASSIC EARLY PC
i can swear in pirate MONKEY ISLAND
i know the meaning of the phrase "work work" and "aroou?" WARCRAFT
i know the meaning of the phrase "i'm on it!" COMMAND & CONQUER
cpu .. pencil ... power AMD CPU PENCIL TRICK
all my games have their settings to LOW QUAKE& MANY OTHER FPS
i can open and clean a ball mouse in 3.4 seconds WHEN MICE HAD BALLS
all my services are set to disabled SAVING RAM ON XP
ladders are my greatest enemy HALF LIFE

Ah... nice!

I read the first few and since I wasn't familiar with any I thought they were all from one game :D

Now that I read through them closely I definitely recognized some. Definitely TIM and monkey island, but from C&C it was 'affirmative' to me, and I definitely also did the AMD pencil trick. It was a Duron, but I can't remember the speed.

Warsam71

Jul 29, 2013
(Great thread!)

....because I've been playing since the late 80s (Atari, Intellivision, Commodore, Playstations, XBox and most of all PCs)

...and because I've played every mode, every map, every hunting mission in Far Cry3

Warsam71

Jul 29, 2013
Ah... nice!

I read the first few and since I wasn't familiar with any I thought they were all from one game :D

Now that I read through them closely I definitely recognized some. Definitely TIM and monkey island, but from C&C it was 'affirmative' to me, and I definitely also did the AMD pencil trick. It was a Duron, but I can't remember the speed.

Oh wow, I can relate! Especially the "I'm on it".

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
"affirmative" was from any normal infantry; "i'm on it" was from the commando.
(which was super OP in multiplayer)

also in warcraft, when you clicked on your orc peons, they would either say "work work" or "aroou"?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i would say that people who have played videogames before the PlayStation, are gamers by default.
You had to do stuff to game. Either go to the arcade for coinop, or learn at least some basic computer skills + troubleshooting. And games were unforgiving and had zero tutorials.

These "obstacles" developed people into The Gamer. You learned a set of skills that still apply to "real games" (i.e. the ones you see in Dreamhack).

Of those who came after, some find the whole Gamer skillset fascinating and they learn it, and can call themselves gamers. The rest - people who "just want to play" aren't gamers. They are Target Practice. :biggrin:

NIGELG

Nov 4, 2009
i would say that people who have played videogames before the PlayStation, are gamers by default.
You had to do stuff to game. Either go to the arcade for coinop, or learn at least some basic computer skills + troubleshooting. And games were unforgiving and had zero tutorials.

These "obstacles" developed people into The Gamer. You learned a set of skills that still apply to "real games" (i.e. the ones you see in Dreamhack).

Of those who came after, some find the whole Gamer skillset fascinating and they learn it, and can call themselves gamers. The rest - people who "just want to play" aren't gamers. They are Target Practice. :biggrin:
Anyone who plays video games is a gamer....

Some people like to feel superior to others and come up with ''definitions'' of what a ''real'' gamer is....

quakeworld

Aug 5, 2009
.. been playing games before the term 'gamer' was created. if you played games you were a geek/nerd.

fixbsod

Jan 25, 2012
Yup, yup, I remember sneaking downstairs late at night when I was 7 to get a little more Zelda in. And when I say Zelda, I mean the first Legend of Zelda because it was the only Zelda out, hence the real gamer!!

I started gaming when I was 4, played an nes, and am pc gaming master race! :p

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Card carrying member of the PC gaming master race, but also a humble royal who plays with the unwashed console masses.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I'm a real gamer because I beat Tomb Raider on my first try, without consulting a walkthrough (didn't even have internet at the time).

I can't tell you how tight that was. I often had almost no medpacks when facing the tougher situations late in the game. And I solved every puzzle myself, dammit! The end of the game was one of the big bittersweet moments of my gaming life. This is finally it, isn't it?

I also finished Gothic on my fist playthrough. Even thought the controls are extremely awkward at first I decided I was going to master them instead of whining about them. The result? A rich, rewarding, HARD experience. I have to say - shortage of cash and supplies is definitely NOT a factor by the end of that game.

And finally - I finished Fallout with the stupid character on my first attempt. I couldn't even talk, only grunt and groan; I just kept hitting everything I encountered with my fists, and I got stronger and stronger. I was this big, hulking retard that could smash anything. It was oddly satisfying.

I remember finally having to give up on Dogmeat. *sniff* I had kept him alive for a while by replying battles until he made it through, but the moment came that I had to let him die.

One of the saddest gaming moments ever for me.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Im a Real gamer because i started on a commodore 64 and haven't quit yet, its only getting better year after year :)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
glorious-pc-gaming-master-race.png

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Because I convinced 6 of my friends to play Diplomacy. :colbert:

How many friends did you have left at the end of the game? :)

It's a limited game in a way, but if you find the right group of people to play it it really is a great experience.

I got screwed SO hard by my best fried in an epic game. He had some people come at me sideways, approached me in our "friendship comfort one", and told me exactly what the plan was. Only it wasn't.

Watching those moves unfold was one of the biggest surprises of my gaming life. I was one of those idiots on "Survivor" who thinks they have things figured out but don't, and I went from being sure that I had a good chance to win the whole thing to being out in one turn.

Good or bad, you live for those moments as a gamer.