Illinois government meltdown

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
He really doesn't care about Souther Ill. All he needs is for Chicago to vote for him, so why would he bother trying to implement another set of programs for the very different communities located outside of the City? I hate it. I sincerely hope that we manage to get him out of office soon.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
"As you are probably aware, this has been an extremely difficult budget year for the State of Illinois. On a positive note, the Governor signed the State budget yesterday afternoon; however, overall the State budget was reduced over $463 million dollars. The community college system lost the entire Student Success Grant and the additional $7 million that was added to the Base Operating Grants by the General Assembly.

Due to the losses mentioned above, LCCC is not going to receive revenues at the FY08 budgeted level approved by the Board of Trustees earlier this summer. In light of this fact, I ask that you monitor your spending carefully. With your vigilance, LCCC can end the current fiscal year in a balanced position."

This is from the President of our Community College.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: piasabird

(1.) So the rest of the state is in slavery to a few counties around chicago whether we want to be or not.

(2.) It is like everyone's vote in southern Illinois is worthless and irrelevent.

1. If you don't want to be in "slavery" any more how about you and all the people in your county get off your collective asses and generate some f$cking wealth (and therefore tax revenue / power / influence / etc....). You act like you're helpless to do anything and the people in "a few counties in/around chicago" just got lucky to be where they are at and have the influence that they do. WRONG. The reason people in those counties have more influence is because they work their asses off for it. You don't like being a slave? Guess what, I don't like subsidizing you. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

2. Southern IL votes are neither worthless nor irrelevant. They are just completely overshadowed by a huge majority, something that will likely never change. Such things happen in Democracy. Think about being a die-hard Democrat in the traditionally very Red state of Utah (or Texas, or any other very Red state). That's basically what you are, except you are a die hard conservative in a very Blue state. If you don't like it, move to Indiana, which has been known to go either way. Maybe your vote will feel more important.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
I have seen Blogoyovich talk and I dont trust him. Being from southern Illinois, I dont trust people from Chicago. I have lived through 2 periods following horrible storms where the electricity was out for around 10 days to 2 weeks and we did not get any help from the state of Illinois. So as far as I am concerned the Governor does not care about southern Illinois. In other states they practically gave away generators to help people out in the winter, but we just tried to stick it out. They could have at least been able to afford some free ice when it was 90 degrees and we had no electricity. Hell after 3 days you could not even buy a battery. All I can say is hold on to those old kerosene heaters and your Hurricane Lamps, and keep some dry goods on hand to survive when your civilization crumbles.

1. So you openly admit to being a bigot (and your comment about Obama a few posts up only confirms this), and you expect to get any kind of respect from anyone else? FVCK THAT.

2. The governor should rightfully split his care/interest/focus in approximately a 75:25 ratio between Chicago and the rest of the state. Governing is not about square mileage, it's about people. The whole state has an estimated 12.83 Million people as of y2k. Chicago has 9.5 Million. You have 3.33 Million. Deal with it.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

In the case of living in Southern Illinois rather than Cook county you get to win on both counts.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: GenHoth
He really doesn't care about Souther Ill. All he needs is for Chicago to vote for him, so why would he bother trying to implement another set of programs for the very different communities located outside of the City? I hate it. I sincerely hope that we manage to get him out of office soon.

Lots of people in Chicago don't like him either. He is done after this term, Lisa Madigan will likely run for the office next election and trounce Elvis jr handily.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: 308nato
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

In the case of living in Southern Illinois rather than Cook county you get to win on both counts.

Yes I agree, Cook county is lame. DuPage is where it's at.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ebaycj

Yes I agree, Cook county is lame. DuPage is where it's at.

I don't know of many people that live outside Cook county that would mind much if Cook county was just made another US state...and I live in Cook county... :)

Chuck

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ebaycj

(1.) So the rest of the state is in slavery to a few counties around chicago whether we want to be or not.

(2.) It is like everyone's vote in southern Illinois is worthless and irrelevent.

1. If you don't want to be in "slavery" any more how about you and all the people in your county get off your collective asses and generate some f$cking wealth (and therefore tax revenue / power / influence / etc....). You act like you're helpless to do anything and the people in "a few counties in/around chicago" just got lucky to be where they are at and have the influence that they do. WRONG. The reason people in those counties have more influence is because they work their asses off for it. You don't like being a slave? Guess what, I don't like subsidizing you. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

2. Southern IL votes are neither worthless nor irrelevant. They are just completely overshadowed by a huge majority, something that will likely never change. Such things happen in Democracy. Think about being a die-hard Democrat in the traditionally very Red state of Utah (or Texas, or any other very Red state). That's basically what you are, except you are a die hard conservative in a very Blue state. If you don't like it, move to Indiana, which has been known to go either way. Maybe your vote will feel more important.

:thumbsup: :laugh:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I gave examples and showed you that the Governor of IL does not care about people in Southern Illinois or education, and for that I get labeled a Bigot. I gave you examples that proved my point. In St Louis, MO accross the border they called out the National guard to help people. It is not like I expect to be waited on hand and foot. Any effort on behalf of the Governor of Illinois or the state of Illinois to show that they actually even knew we were suffering would have been nice. I do not know who is worse the Electric Company or those people that run the state. I feel if that for half the month my electricicty is cut off and then the same thing happens again, that Someone at least needs to force the electric company to give us some free electricity or something to make up the difference. I think we need a law that states if you electricity is cut off for over 5 days then that month it is free. There is an expectation of a contract where the electric company is expected to provide timely service. However, they can break that contract and the homeowner either freezes to death or sweats to death without any recourse. This is an abuse of power by a monopoly.

If you think you can call be a bigot to want what I am paying for you can go straight to hell you asshole.