Ike is going to be bad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
Originally posted by: Perry404
Jesus guys its GALVESTON !!!

Oops. :eek:

Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

The seawalls are supposedly at 17ft
If they holds then there is 3-5 ft of water coming in along with the rain coming down what is the effect?

If the seawalls fail, then you have the full force heading inland - how far?

I heard a weather geek say with the expected storm surge water could travel inland as far as a mile at a depth of ten feet ...

The breakwater is 17' and they are expecting a stormsurge of between 15-20'. As far as I know GALVESTON :)D) is preety much all at sea level.

I believe the city was raised along with the seawall. Does this make sense? They graded the whole damn island after 1900.

What is the Port of Houston used to be land. They used that sand they excuvated and raised most of the island by a "floor". All the remaing buildings after the 1900 storm have a "basement."

Thats some cool feats for some old ancient technology.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Just think, all the changes that were done to Galveston were done without government help.
I don't think they could have imagined a dead on hit from a 60 mile wide monster eye a hundred and eight years ago however.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
and within 4 days of the actual date.

You would also think that the locals would have seen over the past years that they might be a little low for a big one.

Sep 12, 2004
If Galveston really gets devastated it'll be interesting to see if the Katrina handwringers are as concerned now. Personally I feel that any fool that decided to ride it out deserves their fate, which is identical to how I felt during Katrina.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
If Galveston really gets devastated it'll be interesting to see if the Katrina handwringers are as concerned now. Personally I feel that any fool that decided to ride it out deserves their fate, which is identical to how I felt during Katrina.

Large population centers near coastlines that get hurricanes are a bad idea. Even the Aztecs knew that.

OokiiNeko

Jun 14, 2003
SO I am waiting at my credit union to see a rep, and CNN coverage of "Ike, the aftermath" is on in the waiting area.
While I may be cynical, it seemed to me that the reporters were a little crestfallen not to be able to film dead bodies floating in the street. They had the General of New Orleans fame on as guest commentator. That dude is trying his bayou darndest to make this seem like a really big deal, but it just wasn't working for me. The pool helo footage was just not showing MASSIVE damage.
The news helo showed some debris washed up and the comment was, "There you can see some debris and what may be some collapsed houses there."
Yea, there were collapsed houses in there like there was a plane in that hole in Pennsylvania.
Another shot was of an area with flood water, but all the houses were intact on stilts, and the reporter says, "You can see the devastation there."
To me, devastation is no house left standing.
So I asked myself, why. Why are they trying so desperately to pump up Ike. And just as I was asking myself this question, they started talking about refinery damage, and it all clicked.

Whew, rant over. Hey, what price is gas now?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
So we learned one thing from this.

The engineers of 1900 are badass. lol

And the populations of 2000+ are dumbasses

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
So we learned one thing from this.

The engineers of 1900 are badass. lol

And the populations of 2000+ are dumbasses

lucky as hell they are

Yup, you don't gamble with hurricanes. Some of them are also saying that the next time they won't stay behind...