Ike is going to be bad

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Look at the wall of water that is being projected to hit Ron Pauls district. Galveston, TX is really in trouble. 15-20 feet! That is just unreal. Ike is still 100 miles offshore and already they are having to rescue people in coastal areas. Only a CAT 2 but Ike is massive. Hope most of you Texans in the path of this monster are safe.
Galveston, Texas has experienced this nitemare before.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Yep, I can receive KHOU-TV from here and their video shows what a mess things are already. I'm glad it isn't hitting me but don't wish this on anyone.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

The seawalls are supposedly at 17ft
If they holds then there is 3-5 ft of water coming in along with the rain coming down what is the effect?

If the seawalls fail, then you have the full force heading inland - how far?

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

If they holds then there is 3-5 ft of water coming in along with the rain coming down what is the effect?

I don't think there's any question this will be devastating for Galviston and the other coastal areas. Last I heard 40% of Galviston has decided to stay.
Just imagining how this will go down at night in the dark...
Scary.
There will be stories to tell tomorrow and unfortunately many will undoubtedly lose their lives.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Perry404

I don't think there's any question this will be devastating for Galviston and the other coastal areas. Last I heard 40% of Galviston has decided to stay.
Scary.
There will be stories to tell tomorrow and unfortunately many will undoubtedly lose their lives.

History repeats itself

Camille Part II

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I'm actually in San Antonio, TX, at the moment. I can tell you this much: the entire state is going nuts preparing for this thing. The pre-staging of the emergency supplies, rescue equipment, and personnel is actually pretty amazing to watch.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse
I'm actually in San Antonio, TX, at the moment. I can tell you this much: the entire state is going nuts preparing for this thing. The pre-staging of the emergency supplies, rescue equipment, and personnel is actually pretty amazing to watch.

Great city, San Antonio .... spent some time there this summer.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

Well they have to get the trailers ready 8 months in advance you see...

...is this FEMA you're speaking of or state government?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Scary.
If they actually decided and had options, this is clear evidence that 40% of Galviston is fvcking stupid.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000

From what I've heard on San Antonio TV it is a joint effort. They said FEMA is paying for the charter buses (some 2,500 I think) that have been and will be used to transport people who want to evacuate. So far everything seems to be going fairly well all things considered.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

I heard a weather geek say with the expected storm surge water could travel inland as far as a mile at a depth of ten feet ...

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
They are expecting post-storm flooding 40 miles inland according to relatives down there. Texas is so damn flat its going to be a mess way past Galveston.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Scary.
If they actually decided and had options, this is clear evidence that 40% of Galviston is fvcking stupid.

Yes they are. There are many pictures of people just hanging out watching it come in.

It would be tempting to witness it but it will be dark when the shit starts to hit the fan. So why stay?

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
Jesus guys its GALVESTON !!!

Oops. :eek:

Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

I heard a weather geek say with the expected storm surge water could travel inland as far as a mile at a depth of ten feet ...

The breakwater is 17' and they are expecting a stormsurge of between 15-20'. As far as I know GALVESTON :)D) is preety much all at sea level.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
:music:
Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea winds blowin'
I still see her dark eyes glowin'
She was 21 when I left Galveston

Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea waves crashing
While I watch the cannons flashing
I clean my gun and dream of Galveston

I still see her standing by the water
Standing there lookin' out to sea
And is she waiting there for me?
On the beach where we used to run

Galveston, oh Galveston, I am so afraid of dying
Before I dry the tears she's crying
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
At Galveston, at Galveston

You Tube
You Tube

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea winds blowin'
I still see her dark eyes glowin'
She was 21 when I left Galveston

Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea waves crashing
While I watch the cannons flashing
I clean my gun and dream of Galveston

I still see her standing by the water
Standing there lookin' out to sea
And is she waiting there for me?
On the beach where we used to run

Galveston, oh Galveston, I am so afraid of dying
Before I dry the tears she's crying
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
At Galveston, at Galveston

You Tube
You Tube

Very nice.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006

The breakwater is 17' and they are expecting a stormsurge of between 15-20'. As far as I know GALVESTON :)D) is preety much all at sea level.

I believe the city was raised along with the seawall. Does this make sense? They graded the whole damn island after 1900.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

I believe the city was raised along with the seawall. Does this make sense? They graded the whole damn island after 1900.

From Wiki:
To prevent future storms from causing destruction like that of the 1900 hurricane, many improvements to the island were made. The first 3 mi (4.8 km) of the 17-foot (5 m) high Galveston Seawall were built beginning in 1902 under the direction of Henry Martyn Robert. An all-weather bridge was constructed to the mainland to replace the ones destroyed in the storm.

The most dramatic effort to protect the city was its raising. Dredged sand was used to raise the city of Galveston by as much as 17 ft (5.2 m) above its previous elevation.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Well they have to get the trailers ready 8 months in advance you see...

Its been mostly the state. The Feds have freed up money and some resources, but most are from Texas.

Texas is home to some of the best search and rescue teams in the country(they've worked Katrina, and other natural disasters). Texas is well equipped to handel natural disasters.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

What is the Port of Houston used to be land. They used that sand they excuvated and raised most of the island by a "floor". All the remaing buildings after the 1900 storm have a "basement."

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

From Wiki:
To prevent future storms from causing destruction like that of the 1900 hurricane, many improvements to the island were made. The first 3 mi (4.8 km) of the 17-foot (5 m) high Galveston Seawall were built beginning in 1902 under the direction of Henry Martyn Robert. An all-weather bridge was constructed to the mainland to replace the ones destroyed in the storm.

The most dramatic effort to protect the city was its raising. Dredged sand was used to raise the city of Galveston by as much as 17 ft (5.2 m) above its previous elevation.

Bascially most of the island is the exact same height as the seawall. Ive been there, if the storm surge is over 17 feet, the whole island will be underwater.