If you think you have pressure in your life...

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Imagine that you are Simone Biles right now. Of course everyone is understanding, but...

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Yeah, she was propped up WAY too much.

On a side note- does anyone else feel like they're watching the Olympics because they're supposed to rather than they want to? :confused:

Nov 8, 2012
Getting 1st place in anything is pressure - whether you have 200 people watching or 200,000 does it really make that much of a difference at that point? The social pressure isn't the hard part, it's practicing the equivalent of all-day every-day to beat out the other individuals that are doing the same thing - except slightly more than you

Anyhow, newer generations seem to be too fragile since this is something that has exploded more recently. Same thing happened with Naomi Osaka on the tennis side.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
When I was 6 years old my father used to beat me any time he tried to sober up, which was weekly.
This did not stop until I entered a weights and conditioning class when I was 16.

She's 24.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Getting 1st place in anything is pressure - whether you have 200 people watching or 200,000 does it really make that much of a difference at that point?

Yeah what matters is how much abuse and harassment and stress you are allowed to absorb. Many celebs have a staff of people that sometimes includes security whose job is to keep them insulated from the bullshit so life doesn't drag them down. This Olympian probably just has a coach and that coaches job may not include isolating her from rabid fans and social media.

I'll tell you one thing, if somethin ever happens that makes me famous and all of a sudden people start bombarding me with comments or questions or harassment, I'm deleting all my accounts and getting a giant dog in the house. I'll also have to be very selective in what news I watch and how I filter it.
The mental abuse from being bombarded constantly just isnt worth it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Getting 1st place in anything is pressure - whether you have 200 people watching or 200,000 does it really make that much of a difference at that point? The social pressure isn't the hard part, it's practicing the equivalent of all-day every-day to beat out the other individuals that are doing the same thing - except slightly more than you

Anyhow, newer generations seem to be too fragile since this is something that has exploded more recently. Same thing happened with Naomi Osaka on the tennis side.

lolol simone biles fragile? she is one of the more accomplished gymnasts of all time. her accomplishments are easy to look up so I won't post them. she has multiple moves NAMED AFTER HER BECAUSE SHE IS THE ONLY ONE IN HISTORY TO HAVE DONE THEM. Literally, four elements named after her https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_elements_named_after_Simone_Biles

imagine some sexist dude on the internet calling someone who has performed at the top of their craft for multiple years calling them fragile. holy shit batman.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Yea I wouldn't say she is fragile. And of course all of us have pressure in our lives involving things that are very important to us. But I've never been in a position to feel the weight of an entire country rooting for me to succeed, whether it is real or imagined. It's how we handle the pressure. My father drank because he thought he had pressure in his life, but I realize now that he was just being a pussy.

I hope she gets herself in a better place mentally and can return to competition, because she is freaking awesome.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
and the whole scoring thing is BS. not scoring her hardest stuff because it may be dangerous for others to try it? if that were the historical way to score there would never be any innovation in the sport. also, F russia. it seems to me they have a lot of undue influence after being banned as a country from participating.

Reactions: Zorba
Feb 4, 2009

On a side note- does anyone else feel like they're watching the Olympics because they're supposed to rather than they want to? :confused:

Nope, I tapped out of watching Olympic events around 2000.
Nearly all the events are crap and boring.

Reactions: Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
she may have been trying to attempt this vault that nobody has done in competition and is quite risky. she had wanted to do it in Tokyo.

after her injury, she came back on the floor in trainers and kept encouraging her teammates. just seems like an athlete breaking new ground that just fell short and kept her chin up and tried to encourage her team to continue to do well.

Nope, I tapped out of watching Olympic events around 2000.
Nearly all the events are crap and boring.

i do like some of the faster track and field events. but yeah i'm with you, have barely watched in quite a while.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
She cracked under pressure. Unfortunate but reality is she didn't have what it takes mentally.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
lolol simone biles fragile? she is one of the more accomplished gymnasts of all time. her accomplishments are easy to look up so I won't post them. she has multiple moves NAMED AFTER HER BECAUSE SHE IS THE ONLY ONE IN HISTORY TO HAVE DONE THEM. Literally, four elements named after her https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_elements_named_after_Simone_Biles

imagine some sexist dude on the internet calling someone who has performed at the top of their craft for multiple years calling them fragile. holy shit batman.

Lol I got a kick out of that too. No skills internet loser calls the best gymnast of all time fragile for one mistake. Okay buddy!

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

For some reason, I find that I just don't care anymore.
I never cared for pro sports because it's entirely about money, once they decided to toss politics in as well it became nothing but a nuisance.
Full disclosure: I'm a cranky old fart that doesn't like people in general.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Another no skills internet dude who apparently doesn’t realize she has like four golds at the olympics already.

At this point I think it just shows a total lack of judgement that they even let Simone Biles on the team this year. We are the USA, no room for fragile young girls.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
av8vPQO_700bwp.webp

Feb 4, 2009
I am so out of it I wouldn’t know who Simone Biles is without Obama.
Thanks Obama
And I have little idea of what you guys are talking about with Her. I did see a headline that I sort of forgot about leaving the team.
Also I have zero interest in learning about what happened.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Well, I didn't even know this was about the Olympics until I saw this post...

Reactions: pmv

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I was going to make a meme about a generation of people who think that pasting some trite words on a stock photo is a substitute for making a cogent argument but I didn't because reasons! 🤔
She quit on her team. You can sugarcoat it all you want but that's how I read the story.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/27/sim...om-team-gymnastics-as-russians-defeat-us.html

"Biles later told NBC’s “TODAY” she is “in shape” and feels “good” physically. She said she felt increased pressure as one of the most well-known athletes at the games."

I would have more respect for her if she tried and failed. She essentially gave up on her team and teammates. You can make excuses for her. I'm sure she appreciates it.