If you think you have pressure in your life...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I will be surprised if she keeps her endorsement deals after the Olympics. If I was a business, I wouldn't want someone who quit to represent my brand. But Americans love redemption stories so maybe she can salvage her reputation with win at individual events.

Book deal and the talk show circuit will push her over the top as they eat this emotional shit up.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Getting 1st place in anything is pressure - whether you have 200 people watching or 200,000 does it really make that much of a difference at that point? The social pressure isn't the hard part, it's practicing the equivalent of all-day every-day to beat out the other individuals that are doing the same thing - except slightly more than you

Anyhow, newer generations seem to be too fragile since this is something that has exploded more recently. Same thing happened with Naomi Osaka on the tennis side.

😂 It's the system maaaaaan.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
yawn. That's great. But do you know what she's going to be remembered for in the future? Yes, people will say she won multiple gold. But she's also going to be remembered for quitting on her team when they counted on her to help them win. And that's sad way to go. This event going to haunt her for rest of her life. She had a chance to be a legend. But she blew it. Now, she's going to be just another former Olympic gold medalist who crumbled under pressure and quitted on her team. That quitting part is worse than plain failure.

If she is remembered by that it is not her flaw, it is the flaw of the schmucks that remember her that way and the society that encourages that kind of thinking.

Again, middle aged men keyboard warriors yawning at the accomplishments of the most medaled woman's gymnast in history. Pretty funny.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Again, middle aged men keyboard warriors yawning at the accomplishments of the most medaled woman's gymnast in history. Pretty funny.

Guarantee you anyone who is talking shit is either a fatass, out of shape, or both. People who work hard at something, anything physical tend to have a lot more respect for fellow athletes than some of the boomer keyboard warriors here.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Everybody has their breaking point, and she felt she would not be able to contribute to her team positively after that terrible start. And during qualifying she reportedly looked off as well.

She achieved more than any other gymnast in so many categories in history. I mean literally is arguably the pinnacle of her sport. If people want to dismiss that, that's their shortcoming.

Also, other gymnasts that are there as backups do take over her routines since this was a team all around competition. And they did exactly that, and Simone came right back to be with her teammates and cheered them on during the rest of the competition, she did not go sulk like a diva or whatever insult comes next from the Piers Morgan type crew (see his comments on Biles withdrawing), and teamUSA went on and won silver. A testament to the concept of teamwork. "Team USA performed admirably, despite being without the greatest gymnast in the world. Jordan Chiles, Sunisa Lee and Grace McCallum took on a monumental load, picking up Biles’ apparatus and still managing to win silver."

By knowing her breaking point, letting her teammates take over, arguably TeamUSA had a better finish than if she stayed in.

Reactions: herm0016

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
She's worth $5million plus and has 7-figure endorsement deals in her future. She has teams of trainers, coaches, nutrionalists, facilities and the like at her disposal.

The poor schlub who has a broke down car, needs to get to work and has rent due in 4-days faces more "pressure".

Idolizing athletes who make $40M to dribble or swing a bat is beyond pale.
It takes while before eviction takes place.

Also, many people who mention those types of stories are fakers who know all the social cues to fool suckers like you.

Reactions: herm0016

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I will be surprised if she keeps her endorsement deals after the Olympics. If I was a business, I wouldn't want someone who quit to represent my brand.
But Americans love redemption stories so maybe she can salvage her reputation with win at individual events.
she could come back to compete in the individuals and win gold in at least 1 event would suffice for a redemption story.

bonus points:
especially if it was in the event (Vault) which caused her to quit.

Last edited:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
She has so much stress... you guiz, you don't understand....

View attachment 47867

I suppose if you've never done anything athletic, you probably don't understand. These people put forth a level of commitment, training, and raw talent that makes people like you seem like such underachievers it ain't funny. They sacrifice plenty, and if there was not an audience for sports, we wouldn't need them. Try training for and running and winning an ultramarathon, and then come back and tell us how easy it was.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah, she was propped up WAY too much.

On a side note- does anyone else feel like they're watching the Olympics because they're supposed to rather than they want to? :confused:

Actually I DID get that feeling ... so I 99% tuned out. ;)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Nobody is going to drop Simone Biles as a spokesperson for their brand. So many athletes in history didn't quit while they were ahead and yet they are still lionized in so many ways and spoken about in hushed tones of reverence.

So many of the all-time greats, and just amazing athletes that were on the A list tier of their position/sport - from Jordan to Ali, to Pippen and Shaquille, to Iverson and Kobe. They all stuck around way too long kinda dragging their teams down with their subpar performances. Whether it was a combo of their heads not being in it enough in sync with their bodies, their bodies just not being strong enough, or whatever, not knowing when to quit is a mental mistake. Biles is at the end stage age for female gymnasts and even from the qualifying rounds she was performing subpar. If she knew she wasn't all there, we should respect her decision, as one of the, if not THE, greatest athlete in her sport, ever, to let her teammates take over, and get the team a silver.

I think for a lot of people, not all, it's part misogyny. For a lot of Fox News viewers, it's not just gonna be misogyny, it's racism too. And for the rest, they are just a-holes. Let them be at the pinnacle of a sport in that kind of dominant fashion, a sport that is purely focused on your individual performance with all eyes on you, and then talk shit like that. What a joke people are. The effort her and other athletes on her level put to maintain that level of athletic performance is pretty nuts.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The trouble is the OP set it up with the implication that she somehow has it worse than everybody else in this world, which is ludicrous.

Fundamentally I don't care either way. From what I gather she's done well in her chosen line of work but had a bad day and wasn't feeling up to it in this instance. Can happen to anyone. It's a set-back for her, I guess, but I'm sure she'll be fine overall and it really doesn't make much difference to anything in the grand scheme of things.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Speaking of overhype, Naomi Osaka out in 3rd round of the Olympics. Yeah her career is over.

You don't know shit about tennis. I haven't followed it in some years, but a shit ton of very good players get upset in many earlier rounds in tons of tournaments, have bad years, then good ones. Just a quick search on Serena's career, and I bolded some highly relevant parts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serena_Williams

"At the 2005 Australian Open, Williams rejected suggestions that she and sister Venus were a declining force in tennis, following Venus's early exit.[103] Williams saved three match points to defeat Sharapova 8–6 in the third of their semifinal. In the final, Williams defeated top seed Davenport to win her second Australian Open and seventh Grand Slam singles title, winning 12 of the last 15 games.[104] The win moved Williams back to No. 2 but stated she was targeting the top spot.[105]

Williams completed just two tournaments between the Australian Open and Wimbledon, losing to Venus in Miami and at Internazionali BNL d'Italia to Francesca Schiavone as Williams suffered a series of retirements and withdraws.[106][107] A reoccurring ankle injury causing her to miss the French Open.[108] She returned for Wimbledon as the 4th-seeded player, but was defeated in the third round by No. 85, Jill Craybas. At the US Open, Williams lost to her sister Venus in the fourth round. This was the earliest the sisters had met in a Grand Slam tournament since their first meeting, at the 1998 Australian Open. Williams played just one more match that fall, a loss to No. 127 Sun Tiantian at the tournament in Beijing. She failed to qualify for the year-end championship for the first time since 1998 and she finished the year 2005 ranked No. 11, her first time finishing the season outside the top 10 since 1998.[citation needed]

Williams made her 2006 debut at the Australian Open. Defending the title, Williams lost to Daniela Hantuchová in the third round.[109] After the tournament, she told the press that she was injured, blaming a lack of fitness and a knee injury for keeping her off the court.[110] In her biography, Williams claims that she was actually suffering from depression. She stayed away from pro tennis for six months during the 2006 season. After she had shut herself off from the world for a period, Williams saw a therapist daily.[111] After a chance meeting with a young girl who idolized Williams and believed that she could still win, Williams signed up to play in Cincinnati,[112] her first tournament since Melbourne. Williams had slipped to No. 139, the lowest ranking she had held since 1997. On her return, Williams defeated Myskina and Bethanie Mattek,[113][114] before losing in the semifinals to Vera Zvonareva.[115] She also reached the semifinals in Los Angeles, losing to Janković in straight sets. At the US Open, Williams needed a wildcard to enter the tournament, as her ranking at the cut-off time was No. 139, outside the automatic 102. Her ranking had improved to 79th by the time the tournament came around.[116] She lost to top-seeded Mauresmo in the fourth round.[117] Following the US Open, she did not play again in 2006, ending the year ranked No. 95, her lowest year-end ranking since 1997.[citation needed]

Williams began 2007 with renewed confidence, stating her intention to return to the top of the rankings,[118] a comment 1987 Wimbledon men's singles champion and commentator Pat Cash branded "deluded".[119]"

This is just a small sample of Serena's career. So many ups and downs in just a few years, people calling her a 'declining' force in tennis as far back as 2005, and then a men's tennis commentator calling her deluded in 2007 for saying she would get back to the top of the rankings, Serena admitting she was suffering from 'depression', quit for 6 months seeing a therapist, basically mental stress, during some of her losses, needing wildcards to get in, losing in early rounds, and on and on. Do you have a damn clue what Serena did since 2005-2007 in tennis?

Not saying Osaka will be the next Serena by any means, though she does have the athletic talent to be a very good top player in the sport, what I do know for sure is her career could go anywhere from here.

Last edited:
Reactions: pete6032

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
on the plus side, this should demonstrate to the rest of the US team that they're already in a good spot for the next olympics even though she won't be there

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Johnathan Drouin cracked under pressure and left the Montreal Canadiens in the middle of the season.

Whatever really happened remains a secret. But fans are salty about the trade that got him to Montreal.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
eh.. dont think her competing would have helped with the scores in her current mental shape.
i think the scoring is best 3 scores out of the 4 person team.

You pick 3 to compete out of 4 gymnasts for each event, but all scores count (unlike qualifying where it was best 3). If Simone competed and bombed, it's worse then not competing. The vault cost the team somewhere around a point compared to if Suni Lee had taken it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Johnathan Drouin cracked under pressure and left the Montreal Canadiens in the middle of the season.

Whatever really happened remains a secret. But fans are salty about the trade that got him to Montreal.

Andre Agassi admitted in his autobiography he threw a match because he didn't want to face Boris Becker in the Final Round of the Australian Openin 1996. He did eventually have a strong winning record against Becker, but throwing a match to not face a guy earlier on in your career, kinda messed up. He also cracked and did white person crack, meth. Got caught by a drug test, bullshitted that his friend spiked a drink, and I think got away without a suspension or at least a big one.

Last edited:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
The trouble is the OP set it up with the implication that she somehow has it worse than everybody else in this world, which is ludicrous.

Fundamentally I don't care either way. From what I gather she's done well in her chosen line of work but had a bad day and wasn't feeling up to it in this instance. Can happen to anyone. It's a set-back for her, I guess, but I'm sure she'll be fine overall and it really doesn't make much difference to anything in the grand scheme of things.

Of course she doesn't have it worse than anyone else in the world lol, I did it to spark conversation is all. Many sports have players that figure out they aren't going to win on a particular day, so they just quit and make an excuse because they don't want to be seen coming in 12th. Not a particularly sporting thing to do I agree.

Reactions: ultimatebob

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The vault seems like one of those things where if your head isn't in the game for whatever reason you could quite easily end up paralyzing yourself. I think it's possible to be ok with her decision while not lionizing or denigrating her. She's been pretty open about the mental and physical toll the sport has taken on her so I wasn't particularly shocked. Most athletes keeps stuff like that inside until they simply implode under the right conditions and everybody wonders why. To a non insignificant proportion of the public athletes as people are basically disposable besides their sporting accomplishments which I think should cause a bit of self reflection.

Mar 11, 2004
ITT: Boomers angry about...something?

Pretty much. Add in racists/right wingers mad and oblivious to their own hypocrisy, like a guy that idolizes musicians saying people idolizing athletes is beyond pale (liked by someone that worshipped multiple male athletes while he argues who cares if she failed it didn't affect anyone despite him being basically suicidal when two of the athletes he worshipped left the team he's a fan of). Unfortunately the depths of cesspit that some people will sink to in order to show how covered in shit they can be no longer amuses me, just makes me sad how pathetic it is to be trying to insult someone that in every measurable way has dealt with more and accomplished more than them. I'm not entirely sure why some people have to be so insistent on showing how full of shit they are, but sadly that is the case.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
av8vPQO_700bwp.webp

That is more describing Christianity than a generation. Every generation thinks the next generation sucks. I mean the boomers were huge disappointments and now most of what they do is complain about the generation they raised.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Considering the Russians just blatantly cheat at everything I wouldn't go against them. They should have been banned permanently and they should have to play against themselves to an empty crowd.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/sports/russia-doping-sochi-olympics-2014.html

They murdered the people that exposed the scandal except for one guy that went into witness protection in the US.
Putin sure considers sports serious business....

I hope the dude's family he left behind isn't harmed...but you know, if Putin has an ax to grind....he might set an example

Artemi Panarin also had to take a leave due to the very threat Russia poses to countrymen who say the wrong things.