If you think you have pressure in your life...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The vault seems like one of those things where if your head isn't in the game for whatever reason you could quite easily end up paralyzing yourself.

This happened. It was some Russian girl.
She had an injury and she didn't feel quite ready to compete but her coaches said she was ready and pushed her.
She fucked up a landing and ended up paraplegic and died in her early 40s.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or despair about the fat middle aged guys that have never stood on a beam but seem to feel that they are qualified to judge this girl.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so for simone biles, it was the case of the 'Twisties' where she didnt know up from down while in the air.

i guess kinda like vertigo?

if so, is Twisties a mental thing or a physical problem?

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
She couldn’t control her body. Scared the f outta her. She’s flying up in the air and a mental lapse could cause a life changing injury. Good for her. Take care of ya self.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
She couldn’t control her body. Scared the f outta her. She’s flying up in the air and a mental lapse could cause a life changing injury. Good for her. Take care of ya self.

seems like the wisest choice

even if it makes half of the internet A N G E R Y

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
seems like the wisest choice

even if it makes half of the internet A N G E R Y

it really really pisses of conservative men the most

Charlie Kirk talking about the most medaled US woman's gymnast in history who has the most gymnastic movements named just after her:

“We are raising a generation of weak people like Simone Biles,” he said. “If she’s got all these mental health problems: don’t show up.”

“She’s totally a sociopath,”

Pretty amazing Charlie Kirk calls someone a sociopath while basically showing the world he is, indeed, a sociopath.

Piers Morgan also attacked her, like he has Naomi Osaka, and Meghan Markle - he really has a thing for non-white women in the spotlight doesn't he, but has defended a male athlete from his own mental struggles:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
it really really pisses of conservative men the most

Charlie Kirk talking about the most medaled US woman's gymnast in history who has the most gymnastic movements named just after her:

“We are raising a generation of weak people like Simone Biles,” he said. “If she’s got all these mental health problems: don’t show up.”

“She’s totally a sociopath,”

Pretty amazing Charlie Kirk calls someone a sociopath while basically showing the world he is, indeed, a sociopath.

Piers Morgan also attacked her, like he has Naomi Osaka, and Meghan Markle - he really has a thing for non-white women in the spotlight doesn't he, but has defended a male athlete from his own mental struggles:

Like all normal decent people, I despise Piers Morgan.

But I can think of a case for the defence there - Paul Gasgoigne is no longer an 'athlete'. He hasn't invoked 'mental health' as an argument for sympathy while still competing at an elite level and enjoying the status and income that goes with that. He's an old, washed-up former-footballer and very minor celeb with a serious alcohol problem. Defending a not-particularly-high-status-or-wealthy sad case who was being mocked by the tabloid press is different from being cynical about someone like Meghan Markle, or even the others who are young and in good health and currently engaged in an elite career.

Personally I'm pretty tired of hearing about the 'mental health' struggles of very-well-off ultra-elite people like Harry and Meghan. You have to understand that the UK media pretty much never shuts up about the Royals. They shove their teidous lives in everybody's faces, constantly. Prince Phillip's death involved all BBC services shutting down for an entire day and doing nothing but broadcasting 'solomn music' and wall-to-wall 'tributes' to the most unremarkable man in a pretty dreary family.

It's especially irritating to hear about the 'mental health' struggles of a couple of multi-millionaires who own palaces, now, when all mental health services have basically shut down for the pandemic, and I know many people who are both broke and struggling with serious mental health conditions with very little support.

Maybe Piers Morgan is racist and sexist (he quite possibly is, on his past record) and I don't care for his faux-macho posturing about 'strong role models' - I don't agree with that tweet, as I said, I'm not bothered either way about whether this gymnast drops out or not - but I also don't think you can say Gasgoigne is in the same situation as those others cited, so I don't think that comparison demonstrates racism and/or sexism.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This happened. It was some Russian girl.
She had an injury and she didn't feel quite ready to compete but her coaches said she was ready and pushed her.
She fucked up a landing and ended up paraplegic and died in her early 40s.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or despair about the fat middle aged guys that have never stood on a beam but seem to feel that they are qualified to judge this girl.
Remembered!

Gymnastics at the level these people do it is really dangerous if they aren't on their game!

• Wow
Reactions: pmv
Nov 8, 2012
Andrew Luck quit football for similar reasons as the season was fast approaching, and while he did get some criticism, nothing remotely close to the sheer vile hatred that Biles is getting.

I wonder why?

Probably because it wasn't mid-season and is an entirely different concept?

Crazy, I know right? Comparing the two as if they are similar is laughably stupid.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Probably because it wasn't mid-season and is an entirely different concept?

Crazy, I know right? Comparing the two as if they are similar is laughably stupid.

As usual you show you are ignorant in most subjects. Andrew Luck retired in August. The regular season of football starts in September. You don't just pick up really good starting QB's in the NFL pretty much any time of the year, let alone right before the regular season starts and everyone is finalizing their starting lineup. You draft or trade for them. It definitely left the Colts in a pickle. This is a QB driven league and sport. Yes everyone has a backup QB, but losing your true starter as the season is approaching? Huge loss to the team, which is why they went from 10--6 to 7-9.

As has been discussed, in the gymnastics world in the all-around, it's next man/or girl, up. A very highly talented gymnast was immediately available to take her place. And rather than Biles getting crappy scores and potentially taking the US out of medal contention, the next gymnast came in and held the US to a very respectable Silver medal.

Anyone who posts in P&N knows why you hold white and male Andrew Luck to different standards than black and female Simone Biles. I just can't put my finger on it.

Mar 11, 2004
As usual you show you are ignorant in most subjects. Andrew Luck retired in August. The regular season of football starts in September. You don't just pick up really good starting QB's in the NFL pretty much any time of the year, let alone right before the regular season starts and everyone is finalizing their starting lineup. You draft or trade for them. It definitely left the Colts in a pickle. This is a QB driven league and sport. Yes everyone has a backup QB, but losing your true starter as the season is approaching? Huge loss to the team, which is why they went from 10--6 to 7-9.

As has been discussed, in the gymnastics world in the all-around, it's next man/or girl, up. A very highly talented gymnast was immediately available to take her place. And rather than Biles getting crappy scores and potentially taking the US out of medal contention, the next gymnast came in and held the US to a very respectable Silver medal.

Anyone who posts in P&N knows why you hold white and male Andrew Luck to different standards than black and female Simone Biles. I just can't put my finger on it.

Cause he likes sucking white dude dick? Which, he can't have the job of sucking Luck's dick, that's already the job of the president of the "boycott Madden" club that couldn't even manage to do that because it'd get in the way of him worshiping athletes.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Andrew Luck quit football for similar reasons as the season was fast approaching, and while he did get some criticism, nothing remotely close to the sheer vile hatred that Biles is getting.

I wonder why?
I think if you want to compare the two situations, it would be more like if Luck quit during the Super Bowl.

But anyway, i don't have a problem with Biles stepping down as she did. It sucks for the team & for her but if you're not on your game whether it's physically or mentally then it's better to step aside & let someone else take your place.
Usually it's the coaches that pull players when they aren't on their game but players know when they're "off", she just did it herself.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
And Simone said she will compete in the final individual event: The Balance Beam.

I think she should just sit it out?
there's soooooooo much more downside than upside if she doesnt medal.

it's not like there's another event left to redeem her.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
And Simone said she will compete in the final individual event: The Balance Beam.

Competitors don't like sitting back. She also probably still wants to show something to the top cats in US gymnastics for the scandal.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think if you want to compare the two situations, it would be more like if Luck quit during the Super Bowl.

But anyway, i don't have a problem with Biles stepping down as she did. It sucks for the team & for her but if you're not on your game whether it's physically or mentally then it's better to step aside & let someone else take your place.
Usually it's the coaches that pull players when they aren't on their game but players know when they're "off", she just did it herself.

Andrew Luck never achieved the pinnacles of his sport like Simone Biles has. At the end of the day, leaving your NFL team without a starting QB right before the regular season starts is essentially knocking them out of contention for the year by default. You literally have no true plan B. To have the draft capital and situation to trade for a true starting QB is one in a million. A backup QB in the NFL is just that, a backup for a game here or there, but carrying you to a top result? Rarer than rare. Hell a bunch of starting QB's don't have the mettle to carry a team to the playoffs, let alone a backup. I think Biles leaving her team with an adequate backup, and cheering them on, is far superior to Luck leaving his team with pretty much nothing, and I respect Luck's decision, but if we want to debate the situations, let's go for it. As is evidenced by the result - America got silver, the colts didn't even have a .500 season and never had a chance.

But Luck was a white dude, and Biles is a black woman. This is why we see the conservative base so rabid about attacking a woman that represented American woman's gymnastics as the best of the best, while being the face of a sexual abuse scandal that minimized female gymnasts, for more medals in international competition in the entire history of the sport, with more unique movements than any other gymnast in history. Because they are shit people.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

It's smart move by her and her team. There's no downside for Simone if she doesn't medal at the beam. If she doesn't medal, she can blame her condition and say she was still not 100%. And people will love her and say it was so courageous for Simone to even attempt the Balance Beam given her condition. So she gets free pass and massive love even if she doesn't medal.

But if she does well and medal? Especially gold? Well, that's the fairy tale redemption story the advertisers and Hollywood want and will pay for. Everything will be forgiven, and we'll be bombarded with how awesome, courageous, and brave Simone is. The media and the public will have an orgy about the greatness of Simone and how she overcame her disability despite all odds. Mega dollars will roll in.

So there's no real downside for her competing at the Balance Beam other than if she physically hurts herself by falling off and landing wrong. As long as she competes and doesn't injury herself, she wins. Regardless of her medal placement. She and her team know this. It's why she's competing in the Balance Beam.

My question to you is, why can't you see this obvious path? What made you think there was more downside than upside if she doesn't medal? What's your thought process?

Nov 8, 2012
He's still comparing to Andrew Luck, who left with a month notice to the start of the NFL preseason lol.

Some people, it's like they are queens of the oppression olympics as they attempt to paint a narrative that because a = b, then that means d = z(mx + b)/2

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
He's still comparing to Andrew Luck, who left with a month notice to the start of the NFL preseason lol.

Some people, it's like they are queens of the oppression olympics as they attempt to paint a narrative that because a = b, then that means d = z(mx + b)/2

All you are proving is you don't know jack shit about football, like literally jack shit, and that you are demeaning the accomplishments of the most accomplished female gymnast in international competition history because you are a racist and a misogynist.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I have much respect for Andrew Luck. He played hurt and through major physical injuries while being killed by opposing defense linemen. He rehabbed and came back from major career threatening injuries and excelled. Andrew Luck could've phoned it in and went through the motion and collected his massive salary and paycheck until his physical skills declined. But he chose to give up all that money and fame while he could still play elite. He walked away from the game on his own terms and didn't let money or the media control him.

It's not about gender or race issue like some shit posters are trying change this discussion to. They're sick in the head and need more mental help than Simone.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

He announced his retirement on the day of the third preseason game of the preseason. That's usually the game the starters get a full half and the next game would be be backups only. Free Agency and the draft are months earlier and the only thing left is to cut players that are deemed not worth it. Everyone, from management to players had prepped expecting Luck would be able to start the season.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have much respect for Andrew Luck. He played hurt and through major physical injuries while being killed by opposing defense linemen. He rehabbed and came back from major career threatening injuries and excelled. Andrew Luck could've phoned it in and went through the motion and collected his massive salary and paycheck until his physical skills declined. But he chose to give up all that money and fame while he could still play elite. He walked away from the game on his own terms and didn't let money or the media control him.

It's not about gender or race issue like some shit posters are trying change this discussion to. They're sick in the head and need more mental help than Simone.

You don't know shit about football if you are going to give Andrew Luck a pass, and not just a pass but commend him like you just have done, and rail on Simone Biles as you have done in this thread. He quit on his team at a point in the season that it is impossible to recuperate from in a QB driven league, and here you revere him. I won't claim to know exactly why, though I'm pretty sure of why. It's not a good reason.

Did you have pork for dinner btw?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson both walked away still in their prime. They also left huge amount of money on the table. And I respect them for that.

Jim Brown did as well but he was before my time so I don't know about that as well as I do with others.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
He announced his retirement on the day of the third preseason game of the preseason. That's usually the game the starters get a full half and the next game would be be backups only. Free Agency and the draft are months earlier and the only thing left is to cut players that are deemed not worth it. Everyone, from management to players had prepped expecting Luck would be able to start the season.

He and Ponyo have no clue about sport. We all know where their roots of applauding Andrew Luck come from while destroying Simone Biles at the same time.

I'm gonna go eat some pork ribs.