If you could buy any laptop you wanted... what would you get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Commodus
I have to admit: if it had to be my only system, I'd get a 17-inch MacBook Pro with the 1920x1200 screen, 4GB of memory, and the 7200RPM drive option. It's a desktop replacement, but it's still thin and light enough to fit in a (long) notebook bag.

As a companion system... I'll admit it: I'd want a MacBook Air with the SSD and all the add-ons to make sure I can use it for some functions in a pinch. It's not as expansion-rich as the X300, but it has a terrific keyboard and trackpad, as well as features Windows still can't match yet (near-instant sleep/wake, for instance). That and all the rational thoughts about Ethernet and optical drives leave your brain when you see just how thin and slick the Air is.

you sound like an infomercial

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Originally posted by: clandren
Originally posted by: Commodus
I have to admit: if it had to be my only system, I'd get a 17-inch MacBook Pro with the 1920x1200 screen, 4GB of memory, and the 7200RPM drive option. It's a desktop replacement, but it's still thin and light enough to fit in a (long) notebook bag.

As a companion system... I'll admit it: I'd want a MacBook Air with the SSD and all the add-ons to make sure I can use it for some functions in a pinch. It's not as expansion-rich as the X300, but it has a terrific keyboard and trackpad, as well as features Windows still can't match yet (near-instant sleep/wake, for instance). That and all the rational thoughts about Ethernet and optical drives leave your brain when you see just how thin and slick the Air is.

you sound like an infomercial

And a redundant one, at that. :)

Part of it is that I'm already using a Mac, so the software ecosystem is there. But Apple does seem to focus on things most other companies gloss over, like thinness, backlit keyboards, six-pin Firewire, and so on.

On the Windows side? For portability, the Lenovo ThinkPad X300 with the DVD drive built in. For a desktop replacement: one of Gateway's higher-end FX-series notebook models. A 2.5GHz Penryn-based Core 2 Duo with an 8800M GTS for video, all at a semi-reasonable price tag? Sold.