If you can't stand noisy mouse clicks...

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
I bought a logitech RX1500 for $13 shipped on a newegg deal last week and was annoyed at the "tocking" sound it made - loud hollow tocks instead of subtle ticks...anyhow, I yanked it apart and found a better solution than I saw online, and one not involving soldering.

Many mice use this type of switch, so it can be done on many brands.

Take a peak at the fix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpNdK4BcIks

My mouse is now almost dead silent except for an extremely faint tick, and it retains some tactile feedback. Web browsing is not almost "invisible" now you float through pages instead of clicking and ticking. I find myself having clicked on the links without thinking about it now. Anyhow, its a free solution to an annoying problem - at least for me - anyone else hate mouse clicks?

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
The pointing and laughing will now begin. :D

Sorry, I've never understood the obsession with making a computer 'silent.' I liken it to people getting all anal about someone touching the monitor or not meticulously cleaning the keyboard once a week. To each their own, I'd rather spend energy and time on the people around me.

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
The pointing and laughing will now begin. :D

Sorry, I've never understood the obsession with making a computer 'silent.' I liken it to people getting all anal about someone touching the monitor or not meticulously cleaning the keyboard once a week. To each their own, I'd rather spend energy and time on the people around me.

People around you...you mean like me? Thanks, I feel precious. Your post on a Saturday afternoon, buried in an anandtech peripherals forum, shows me that you must really lavish your "energy and time" on the people around you (offline?). EDIT: I just searched your recent posts. Seriously? I'm getting heat from a guy who posts constantly, throughout the day about Monopoly, Ronald McDonald TV commercials! and dating Chinese girls?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thank you for posting that, OP, as I'm sure it will be helpful to some people.

Personally, I like "clickyness". I like my mice clicky, and my keyboards too.

When my mouse stops clicking, it means that the switch is wearing out, and has to be replaced. Don't want to hasten that demise.

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
Well, now I do. I didn't even notice it before you said something, but now the clicking won't stop. *sigh*

heheh, well then the video will help you. Cleaning dust off the LCD will come next week (you're welcome Maggie).

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
eh, only clicky keyboards bother me, but those u have to buy on purpose these days

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Great links, thanks for the work!

I heard rumors MS is working on porting project natal to Windows OS platform. Keep your eyes peeled for that

The only downside is that I can only assume the hardware or processing requirements for it will be huge; minimum of an octo-core cpu(s), a FAST openCL GPU, and tons of ram.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Great post.. absolutely agree on loud mice, don't like them (but not many choices sometimes).

Bull Dog

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2005
I heard rumors MS is working on porting project natal to Windows OS platform. Keep your eyes peeled for that

The only downside is that I can only assume the hardware or processing requirements for it will be huge; minimum of an octo-core cpu(s), a FAST openCL GPU, and tons of ram.

Why would it need an 8-core CPU, tons of ram and a stupid fast GPGPU?

Remember 'Project Natal' has been designed for an Xbox 360. Triple Core IBM Power architecture CPU, 512MB of total ram, and an R500 GPU that an X1950XTX could outpace.

Midrange offerings from Intel/AMD - ATI/NVIDIA can stomp current gen consoles into the ground.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Why would it need an 8-core CPU, tons of ram and a stupid fast GPGPU?

Remember 'Project Natal' has been designed for an Xbox 360. Triple Core IBM Power architecture CPU, 512MB of total ram, and an R500 GPU that an X1950XTX could outpace.

Midrange offerings from Intel/AMD - ATI/NVIDIA can stomp current gen consoles into the ground.
Because console gaming has less overhead compared to the same game on a PC. It's one reason why most consoles still have less than a GB of ram; despite the low cost of the stuff.

ChaiBabbaChai

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2005
People around you...you mean like me? Thanks, I feel precious. Your post on a Saturday afternoon, buried in an anandtech peripherals forum, shows me that you must really lavish your "energy and time" on the people around you (offline?). EDIT: I just searched your recent posts. Seriously? I'm getting heat from a guy who posts constantly, throughout the day about Monopoly, Ronald McDonald TV commercials! and dating Chinese girls?

QFT - sick burn brooooo!

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
QFT - sick burn brooooo!

LOL, Its funny, I wasn't out to get the guy, but he made it seem like I was completely crazy and he was a tourist here and living a completely offline life...so I had to look at all of his posts (which was the first time I used that search feature) and found that he posted like crazy on topics just *a bit* more useless than this one.

inspiron

Feb 6, 2010
I don't care about clicky noises, I just want my mouse to be wireless and be accurate... try this if you are like me: logitech v450

logitech-v450-nano.jpg

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
I don't care about clicky noises, I just want my mouse to be wireless and be accurate... try this if you are like me: logitech v450

logitech-v450-nano.jpg

I use the exact mouse for my laptop - it is awesome - precise, clean and accurate.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
How do I do this on a MX Revolution? I don't even know how to open the thing.

Edit: I opened it up and it looks like this. The white slits are the left and right clicks. I don't think it's possible to make this mouse quiet.

img5914r.jpg

Edit 2: Didn't know I was suppose to take out the switch. I'm gonna try again.

Last edited:

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
How do I do this on a MX Revolution? I don't even know how to open the thing.

Edit: I opened it up and it looks like this. The white slits are the left and right clicks. I don't think it's possible to make this mouse quiet.

img5914r.jpg

Edit 2: Didn't know I was suppose to take out the switch. I'm gonna try again.

Just remove the covers from the switches and perform the needed work per the video

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I think that the click is important because that way I know if I clicked the button well enough.
I get a double confirmation.
And since it's me doing the action, I don't mind the noise.
I mean, it's like complaining because you make a walking noise when you walk.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Just remove the covers from the switches and perform the needed work per the video

I did it and it's definitely less noisy, but it's way too sensitive now. I'll have to revert it back. Getting that bronze thingy back in the metal holder is a bitch.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Hmmmm! Neither of my VX Nanos or my Wacom Graphire click. They are quiet as mice!)

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
I did it and it's definitely less noisy, but it's way too sensitive now. I'll have to revert it back. Getting that bronze thingy back in the metal holder is a bitch.

LOL, I forgot about that. I was able to a few without dislodging it...only after the first screw up.