If they somehow proved there was a god, what religion would you be?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
Originally posted by: randay
Originally posted by: HotChic
Originally posted by: pontifex
umm...well if it was like some hindu god or something, wouldn't we worship that religion?
whats the point in praying to the christian god when he isn't the right god?

That was the point to specifying that the discovery of a god wouldn't lean towards one religion or another, so I don't understand your question.

If thats true then why would we adopt any religion based upon the discovery?

Probably because that specific religion is what you believe that this God wants out of you.

How can someone discover a god with no link to any existing religions? How would "it" even be considered "God". To clarify, is the question: "If someone somehow proved that there was a God, but the God wasn't anyone's(religion's) God, what religion would you be?". If so then that makes no sense whatsoever.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
umm...well if it was like some hindu god or something, wouldn't we worship that religion?

That was the point to specifying that the discovery of a god wouldn't lean towards one religion or another, so I don't understand your question.

You wouldn't necessarily. However, if there was a god, it would mean that it would be feasible for one religion or another to be true, so there might be incentive to start searching for which one might be right, whereas you had no incentive to look for that before.

Ok hypothetically or theoretically, the question is way too hard to answer. But if you assume that the "God" would have been discovered by an act of god-like-ness, then someone somewhere will attribute that act to some religion. It would be pretty much impossible for that not to happen. In fact probably multiple religions would claim that god as thier god. The discovery of just "a" god would probably throw the world into chaos.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: DainBramaged

Probably because that specific religion is what you believe that this God wants out of you.

How can someone discover a god with no link to any existing religions? How would "it" even be considered "God". To clarify, is the question: "If someone somehow proved that there was a God, but the God wasn't anyone's(religion's) God, what religion would you be?". If so then that makes no sense whatsoever.

The god wasn't PROVED to be any religion's god. The potential would exist.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
With regard to facts about external reality, things are never "proven." Proof, as they say, is for mathematics and alcohol. For that reason, your "hypothetical" question is a bit like asking what the color of fun is, or what a geometric circle sounds like. You've made a category error, in other words.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The god wasn't PROVED to be any religion's god. The potential would exist.
The potential would equally exist that every single extant religion was wrong, every single one.

Except, of course, Perknosianism. Bwahahahahahahaha!

Kiss my ring, mortal!

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
If God was somehow proven to exist, what would be the point in religion? There would be no need for "belief", since it would simply be accepted that God exists. As for "worshipping" such a God... Why?

IMO, religion is a complete waste of time and energy.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
"They" will never prove or disprove the existence of god.

thread over...
You have missed the point of this thought exercise.

ZV

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Garth
With regard to facts about external reality, things are never "proven." Proof, as they say, is for mathematics and alcohol. For that reason, your "hypothetical" question is a bit like asking what the color of fun is, or what a geometric circle sounds like. You've made a category error, in other words.

Still yields interesting answers. :) I know the question is meaningless, both by logic and in terms of value (other than entertainment value).

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
If God was somehow proven to exist, what would be the point in religion? There would be no need for "belief", since it would simply be accepted that God exists. As for "worshipping" such a God... Why?

IMO, religion is a complete waste of time and energy.

Well in theory if you weren't living by the rules of the correct god you're going to be damned to a eternity of suffering or something along those lines.

Personally I wouldn't expect any religions held by man to be true to the origin any longer so I would continue to live the life I currently live and just assume that living in a way I deem good to be sufficient. If not, well such is eternity.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
If somehow it were scientifically proven that at least one god exists (no proof or disproof of the idea of multiple gods) but nothing else was known about god (that is, no particular religion was proven right by this discovery) what religion, if any, would you choose to be and why?

How could a god be discovered without identifying which god it is?

Let's assume that a god was discovered. I would continue to do what I do today. Live my life as moral as I can and try to be the best person I can. Your discovery hasn't indicated whether this god demands to be worshiped, and if so, what kind of god would that be? One we should worship from fear? What will happen if we don't? All of this would be very important.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Where's M4H? I figured he'd want some prime real estate in a YART.

Deism maybe?

Gautama2

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
Buddhist, still.

He created the world, so what? Im here for happiness, I'd rather find that myself then just have it bestowed upon me.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
If they actually proved without any doubt that there was just one true God out there, I wouldn't need to be Agnostic anymore!

That's the difference between being Agnostic and Atheist... Atheists don't believe that there is ANY god, whereas Agnostics aren't sure what "god" really is. With so many conflicting opinions out there, I can't see how anyone can be certain that their belief system is the truly the "right" one.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
That's the difference between being Agnostic and Atheist... Atheists don't believe that there is ANY god, whereas Agnostics aren't sure what "god" really is. With so many conflicting opinions out there, I can't see how anyone can be certain that their belief system is the truly the "right" one.
I don't think its that big of a stretch. Do you ever say anything doesn't exist? Witches, ghosts, leprechauns, unicorns, boba fett, etc? Personally I find it quite easy to say based on currently available evidence there is no evidence of any supernatural beings including a god. I'm open to the possibility if new evidence comes to light but until then I can use probabilty to say there is probably no such thing.

Nov 21, 2006
If somehow it were scientifically proven that at least one god exists (no proof or disproof of the idea of multiple gods) but nothing else was known about god (that is, no particular religion was proven right by this discovery) what religion, if any, would you choose to be and why?

Religion's purpose is to idolize or worship a god (or gods). Proving the existence of a god would not necessitate the worshipping of that god. People have humanized god(s) to the point they feel it is directly influencing their life. They have gone to the extreme as to say where/how/when/why the god must be worshipped. People feel that by setting these artificial guidelines, they somehow have control over the the influence this god's role plays in their lives.

So to answer your question, I'd not choose a religion, rather I'd reflect on the exact nature of this god: its intent, its purpose, its influence on my life. In other words, I would continue as I already am... as true Agnostics already do this when considering the possibility that god exists.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Soybomb
I don't think its that big of a stretch. Do you ever say anything doesn't exist? Witches, ghosts, leprechauns, unicorns, boba fett, etc? Personally I find it quite easy to say based on currently available evidence there is no evidence of any supernatural beings including a god. I'm open to the possibility if new evidence comes to light but until then I can use probabilty to say there is probably no such thing.

Hey now... How do you know that there isn't some distant planet out there that doesn't have Unicorns and Boba Fett on it? You gotta be a bit more open minded, man :)

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Perkonianism has answers to questions you haven't even asked yet.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Whichever one offers free breast implants and liposuction for all 40 of my virgins.

Randay dies and gets 40 Bony Raisins with breasts.