If they somehow proved there was a god, what religion would you be?

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
If somehow it were scientifically proven that at least one god exists (no proof or disproof of the idea of multiple gods) but nothing else was known about god (that is, no particular religion was proven right by this discovery) what religion, if any, would you choose to be and why?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I wouldn't choose a religion, other than being nice and fair.

I believe it's wrong to worship an omnipotent being.

"I created you, worship me or I will make you suffer for all eternity," doesn't seem like somthing a fair and just God would say.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
If somehow they (whoever "they" are) "proved" there was a god, I would wonder who the hell gave them their scientific credentials.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I believe in God, in a way, but I don't believe in religion, so it really wouldn't change anything on that score.

A more interesting question would be, if a christian god were proven to exist and the bible's teachings about life after death were true, would you convert? I'd have to think that one over. An eternity in hell is not something to look forward to. :p

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: jjones
I believe in God, in a way, but I don't believe in religion, so it really wouldn't change anything on that score.

I feel the same way.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
umm...well if it was like some hindu god or something, wouldn't we worship that religion?
whats the point in praying to the christian god when he isn't the right god?

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I sure as hell (no pun intended) wouldn't start playing roulette with religions hoping the right number came up. If there was no way to know which religion it was, then I simply wouldn't pick one. If there was a god, there's nothing that says he has to be one that's described in any of the major religions. There might one guy named Steve in Mozambique who has the only accurate picture of what god expects from us. Or there might be no one who has an accurate picture and every living person could be going to hell. Or the true god might be like "i don't know what this hell thing is.... after you guys die you're consumed by the earth and cease to exist, just like all the other animals."

I already live my life in a way that i'm proud of, and happens to be in agreement with how the major religions say I should act. If god has a major problem with me because I didn't guess right what religion he wanted me to be and sing enough songs to him, then I couldn't care less.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
"They" will never prove or disprove the existence of god.

thread over...

..only an infidel would say such a blasphemies thing.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
While I DO believe in a God, I still don't know what I believe about him. So I guess I'm still where I started off at. :(

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Whichever one offers free breast implants and liposuction for all 40 of my virgins.

Nov 7, 2000
if god was proven and not attributed to any of the known worldly religions, the lesat logical thing to do would be to start ascribing to one

hopefully, the existence of a god would actually dissolve religion as we know it

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
umm...well if it was like some hindu god or something, wouldn't we worship that religion?

That was the point to specifying that the discovery of a god wouldn't lean towards one religion or another, so I don't understand your question.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: HotChic

That was the point to specifying that the discovery of a god wouldn't lean towards one religion or another, so I don't understand your question.

If thats true then why would we adopt any religion based upon the discovery?

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: randay

Probably because that specific religion is what you believe that this God wants out of you.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto
Refresh me: which religions are okay with polygamy? :D

HE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: randay

You wouldn't necessarily. However, if there was a god, it would mean that it would be feasible for one religion or another to be true, so there might be incentive to start searching for which one might be right, whereas you had no incentive to look for that before.