If the FDA approves it, would you use the male birthcontrol shot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
it will be interesting to see how many men actually go for their own form of birth control ...

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Nope, I absolutely hate shots and would not get one every 6 weeks, there are other effective things I can do on my end that are non-invasive that I mind less :)

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
There is no way in hell I would let my man do that. Probably some kind of unknown side effect that will appear in the future that won't allow them to ummmmmm...... perform :(

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Cover your willy before you get silly and you don't gotta worry about kids or diseases.

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
Fettsbabe, perform? what does he put on a little outfit and do circus tricks? Just kidding :)

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< I believe that semen only makes up part of the &quot;payload&quot; so to speak. Only the semen would be abscent. >>

Do you mean sperm only makes up part of the semen and that only the sperm would be absent? Cause if what you said is literally correct, one would indeed have &quot;dry heaves.&quot;

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
If there are no *negative* side effects, and it is reasonably priced, hell yeah. I guess they wouldn't produce it for self-injection (like insulin shots) though, huh? That would be easier than driving to the doctor every 6 weeks.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
i]&quot;Do you mean sperm only makes up part of the semen and that only the sperm would be absent? Cause if what you said is literally correct, one would indeed have 'dry heaves.' &quot;[/i]

No, semen is part of sperm. Even if the semen is suppressed, there will still be stuff....no &quot;dry heaves&quot;.

...according to what I remember from the last 2 years of health classes (which doesn't guarantee anything (but I'm 99.97% sure that I'm right)).

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No freaking way... It's taken 30 years and millions of users for them to figure out some of the side effects of birth control pills. No way in heck would I try any such product until maybe 30 years from now when it's been perfected.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Yeah, why not? The only problem I can see with all men taking it is that:

a) if a woman gets pregnant (out of marraige), she's stuck with the kid anyway, however he really has no reason to worry about conception occuring. Although with DNA testing, &quot;I'm not it's father&quot; will be vanishing from the english language

b) Some men are wimps and cant stand the feel of a prick in the side of their arm, yet would gladly get into a bar brawl. I don't understand this group of people, but they do exist and confuse the hell outta me.

c) Men are lazy, or scared that it will cause perminant damage to them or their ability to produce sperm, or make them less masculine.

Once again I believe the male ego will prevent most except the married men to go along with this.

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Sigh - it's amazing how little men actually know about their own anatomy.

Sperm is only a small portion of the ejaculate. So, if something suppresses the production of sperm, you can still ejaculate just fine. Just like when men get a vasectomy.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
shots for men? Hell no. They're too pissy anyway. My friend Melissa went on the fem shots for a couple of months. Even she noted that she could go from completely happy and laughing to screaming her fool head off and throwing things in a matter of second.

She said that it really screwed with her emotions. No way in hell I'd go on those shots. No way.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
FFM...

Women's emotional state is MUCH more closely tied to their reproductive cycle than men's. Most likely there would NOT be similar side-effects with male birth control.

Viper GTS

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Nobody no-how is sticking any needle into me for any reason whatsoever unless I am unconscious. Abstenance is a much better alternative in my mind. Needles are very unwelcome here. (If you had a spinal tap at age 6 you'd be afraid of needles too.)

Zenmervolt

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< No, semen is part of sperm. >>

God dammit people, do you guys even know what you are talking about? Dammit, even toolgirl knows more about this then everyone else. But then again, I guess I shouldn't expect a bunch of computer nerds to know stuff about sex.

&quot;sperm n : the male reproductive cell&quot;

definition of sperm

&quot;semen n : the thick white fluid containing spermatozoa that is ejaculated by the male genital tract&quot;

defintion of semen

Multi

Jan 22, 2001
toolgirl

<< Sigh - it's amazing how little men actually know about their own anatomy >>

outersquare

<< I guess I shouldn't expect a bunch of computer nerds to know stuff about sex. >>

Actually I'm sure that we do know a lot about sex. Not just anatomy ;)

Anyway I'm assuming this shot works by cutting the production of semen therefore basically not giving the sperm not enough food/energy to reach the egg? Also, semen is a LARGE percentage of what you ejaculate, so wouldn't the &quot;load&quot; be rather....dissatisfying? :eek:

Or of course I could be way off and maybe should have studied harder for class last quarter :)

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Nobody has mentioned *where* you have to get the shot!! I wouldn't mind as long as it doesn't have to be administered into my johnson rod!:D

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Don't worry sacotool.

from original post.

<< Basically, it would be a shot that you would get in your arm every 6 weeks >>

CQuinn

Golden Member
May 31, 2000
IMO the shot won't work, not because men fear it, but because it is less convenient
than a pill.

On the other hand, there's really nothing to stop them coming out with a patch.

If the side effects are half as worse as the ones my GF has gotten from her birth control shot, then i would not come within 3 miles of that shot.
Not worth it.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If this could be provided with minimal side effects and a high success rate, I would jump on it. Shots in my arm do not bother me at all. This would allow me to be 'bare' with my significant other, save her from side effects, and keep the pregnancy worries away. I'm all for this if it can be done right. Of course, there are idiots out there that would likely think this is as safe as a condom in prevented pregnance AND disease.
-DAGTA