If I Wanted America to Fail

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Good video. By good I mean, well done with solid production value and a real heart-stirring thing. I don't mean good as in accurate or relevant, which it isn't if we're honest with ourselves.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
If so, then he and I differ. I don't believe that's what Republicans want for America. I do think, however, that too many Republicans don't understand that actions have consequences and that regulations generally exist for good reason (even if the regulation itself is poorly implemented). There are many on the right who act as if regulation per se is bad. Those photos represent what would happen were America to indulge their partisan folly.

What twaddle, pure partisan nonsense. Countless Americans can and do start businesses all the time, even manufacturing businesses. Good God, there was a story on the news tonight about a new company in Michigan that is manufacturing LCD televisions. They are starting small, though they have big plans for growth.

It depends on the field, but starting a new business is often very easy. I've started a couple of businesses in my life, worked as an executive in several more, and worked with scores of small and mid-size businesses as a consultant and engagement manager. Regulation was often an inconvenience, but never a show-stopper. Not once. In my experience, those who cry about regulations killing their business are usually poor businessmen looking for a scapegoat to blame for their own incompetence or laziness.

Lulz! You embarrass yourself. Stop swilling the tripe you're fed through the nutter bubble and start getting your information from credible sources. While Jones did identify as communist in his younger days, as with so many idealists he eventually moved on. Yes, Glenn Beck repeatedly proclaimed he was an self-avowed communist ... but then again, Beck was butt-hurt because Jones launched a boycott campaign against Beck. Outside of Beck, Fox, and the nutter blogosphere who parrot their noise, I couldn't find any evidence Jones still had any communist inclinations. Indeed, based on information from PolitiFact, quite the opposite seems true:You can read more at the link. Bottom line is Beck, Fox, et al are liars. Only a fool accepts their blather without a bag of salt.

Yes, that's the wing-nut dogma, and no doubt it's true in isolated cases. Care to offer credible evidence it's true to any material extent?
Yes, Van Jones moved on - to the environmental movement. That was kind of my point. Since Obama booted Van Jones, obviously he too is a fool with a Morton's deficiency.

Marxists DO believe in jobs; they just believe that jobs should come from government. Even North Korea has a private sector; it does what government tells it to do and it does what government cannot yet be bothered to tell it it can't do. That's where the Van Jones of the world would have us go.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Bush and Cheney loved to dismantle environmental protection laws that cost their friends in the energy business money...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...e-30-years-of-environmental-laws-6156510.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/23/us/23coal.html
Things like this are why I think the Dems are on balance better for the environment than are the Pubbies. 100 feet isn't nearly enough of a buffer zone for most streams. A buttload of streams in the Appalachians are essentially dead because of acidity due to runoff through mine tailings - not that acidity doesn't happen naturally, greatly limiting production, but not generally to the degree that it kills everything. Siltation too can effectively kill a stream; combine the two and you have a stream with greatly altered fauna and flora, a stream where cladocerans and insect nymphs are replaced with tubificid worms and rat-tailed grubs or worse, just a barren desert of orange water.

The only time I've ever written letters to my Senators and Representative was over Bush I's plan to clear cut 40% of our National Forests over five years - five years of good jobs, hundreds of years to recover into old growth forests.

Good bunch of bullshit Boomerboy. How about this from a top official of the EPA where he wants to crucify his opponents. Yes crucify.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/craig-banni...-companies-crucify-them-just-romans-crucified
Things like this are why Republicans want to abolish the EPA. This behavior needs to be ruthlessly stamped out, but the EPA itself is necessary and desirable.

Whether you want to admit it or not, liberals do not hate America; we just see the bad things about it that need to be fixed. If you were to do a survey, you'd find citizens of all political persuasion that want to do that as well.

As much as you obviously get off on broad-brushing liberals as "hating America", it contains the same amount of truth as "freedom-hating" conservatives; which is none.

Hopefully you clean your screen after typing it.

alzan
Neither side hates America. Conservatives love America as they see it, which is sometimes through rose-colored glasses. Liberals love America as they feel they can remake it, as they sometimes see it through urine-colored glasses.

Obviously I am on balance a conservative; I try to see the country for what it is, but I wholeheartedly love my country and think it's the greatest country in the world as it is. I'm not denying that it can get better, I just think it's great the way it is. You can't deny though that liberals find a LOT more wrong with America than do conservatives.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The recent Supreme Court ruling about the couple in Idaho who wanted to build a house and the EPA claimed they were not compliant and fined them a large amount. The EPA wouldn't even let their ruling be contested in court. In a 9-0 ruling the SC overturned the bullshit tyrannical EPA ruling.

That damn EPA!!

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
That damn EPA!!

Yes, they actually thought they were above the law, that they didn't have to obey a law and allow a court hearing that everyone else in the country, including the President and Congress, has to obey. I'm fucking amazed that even a liberal such as yourself supports that kind of elitism.
To a liberal the end always justifies the means, always.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Yes, they actually thought they were above the law, that they didn't have to obey a law and allow a court hearing that everyone else in the country, including the President and Congress, has to obey. I'm fucking amazed that even a liberal such as yourself supports that kind of elitism.
To a liberal the end always justifies the means, always.

Who said they don't allow a court hearing? You can sue the EPA if you want to.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

If this is the case I remember. The EPA lost in court. Then proceeded to disregard the ruling and fined them anyways and barred them from doing anything with their own land.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

Sorry, I thought you knew about the case.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/22/scotus-hits-epa-with-an-epic-smackdown-on-sackett/

As things stand now, however, the Supreme Court has changed the manner in which agencies have to act when issuing compliance orders, which now — despite the Obama administration’s best legal efforts — have to be subject to judicial review before the EPA can start levying massive fines as an extortive device to keep from having their orders challenged.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/21/nation/la-na-0322-court-epa-20120322

The Supreme Court strengthened the rights of property owners who are confronted by federal environmental regulators, ruling Wednesday that landowners are entitled to a hearing to challenge the government's threats to fine them for alleged Clean Water Act violations.

The 9-0 decision revolved around procedural matters and did not resolve questions about the reach of the act, which has been the subject of different legal interpretations.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
So you are claiming the EPA doesn't allow a court hearing, and then 3 posts down posting links to exactly the types of court hearings you are saying EPA doesn't allow. Good one.
Sounds like Mitt Romney is a perfect candidate for you. He'd probably flip flop faster, but you are getting there.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So you are claiming the EPA doesn't allow a court hearing, and then 3 posts down posting links to exactly the types of court hearings you are saying EPA doesn't allow. Good one.
Sounds like Mitt Romney is a perfect candidate for you. He'd probably flip flop faster, but you are getting there.

You are such a lying fucking douche bag it's not surprising that even fairly leftist Democrats in this forum think you're a stooge and a shill.

Personal attacks are not permitted. You know that. -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
If I wanted America to fail, I'd vote GOP. But I don't want America to fail.

This if I wanted America to fail I'd put every far right politician we could find...

Or every Far left politician we could find...

However that is sort of a false equivalency because there are more conservative democrats that could be considered moderate in the Democratic Party... there are almost no (or perhaps none whatsoever) equivalent members of the Republican Party as they have been purged or voluntarily decided not to seek re-election.

========================edit=========================================vvvvv==========

Actually if I really wanted America to fail I'd make sure the video the OP linked to was shown in every classroom across the nation.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Democrats shouldn't count their chickens yet. Neither should Republicans. The attacks have yet to really begin. They soon will. By the time it's over most Americans will wonder if Satan is not one entity but two, one with a (D) after his name and the other with an (R).

Not only that but Karl Rove hasn't begun to bring his Super-PAC into action in this general campaign yet. He learned well from Lee Atwater.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
So your answer is to not keep the giants from polluting. No thanks. Not giving up my health so someone else can profit.

My answer is, don't squeeze out the small guy by trying to regulate the big guy which is what you and every other idiot who supports stupid ass regulations like such want. Ya put fines and regulations on polluting! Oh but the multi-billion dollar corporation doesn't care that it has to pay 200k every now and then in fines, big fucking whoop. Small time corp can't afford that 200k fine and gets shut down and squashed. Oops sorry small guy. You idiot, how about you create jobs to clean up the mess instead of bitching about it? For every job that creates a mess there's a job being created in order to clean the mess. Think smart, not scared.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
My answer is, don't squeeze out the small guy by trying to regulate the big guy which is what you and every other idiot who supports stupid ass regulations like such want. Ya put fines and regulations on polluting! Oh but the multi-billion dollar corporation doesn't care that it has to pay 200k every now and then in fines, big fucking whoop. Small time corp can't afford that 200k fine and gets shut down and squashed. Oops sorry small guy. You idiot, how about you create jobs to clean up the mess instead of bitching about it? For every job that creates a mess there's a job being created in order to clean the mess. Think smart, not scared.

You know what's funny is they do this on purpose. They sell it to their supporters as 'we are going to make the big companies pay' and it ends up being much like what you mentioned here.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
lol. I forgot how "funny" you were.

and i'd forgotten what a whiny little bed wetter you are. Thanks for reminding me.

It's been pretty obvious that the changes that Idontcare was working for have been abandoned so I didn't really see any reason to reign myself in when no one else was going to limit themselves.

Personal attacks, and mod callouts, are NOT permitted. You know that. - Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
and i'd forgotten what a whiny little bed wetter you are. Thanks for reminding me.

It's been pretty obvious that the changes that Idontcare was working for have been abandoned so I didn't really see any reason to reign myself in when no one else was going to limit themselves.

Maybe but Cybersage disappeared. Maybe the rules are quietly enforced.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Big corporations are people too, just as SCOTUS. And if they are people, we shouldn't treat them any different from the small guy.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

Right you're a troll, we know. That's what losers do on the Internet.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
2/10, troll.

You made a single contributory post in this thread and the rest of the time you've been whining about trolls. Maybe if you contributed more and cried less people would give a rats ass about what you post.