If Erdogan loses in the upcoming election in Turkey, what do you think will happen?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I just got finished reading an article about the upcoming election in Turkey, where Erdogan has increasingly cemented his hard line rule into more of a dictatorship since 2003. Most polls show him trailing the opposition candidate,
Kemal.

If the elections go as most polls are currently showing, and Erdogan loses, how do you think he reacts? Will he bow out gracefully, claim the elections were rigged and nullify them, or is it possible that his opposition candidate might just have an 'accident' leading up to election day?

What do you think is the most likely outcome? I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities I haven't even pondered yet, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts...

background info on the election

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Erdogan is the guy that thinks lowering interest rates will get you out of hyper inflation. This make me think he will claim the kurds in Sweden rigged the election and that he must stay in power to make sure elections are fair from now on.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Erdogan is the guy that thinks lowering interest rates will get you out of hyper inflation. This make me think he will claim the kurds in Sweden rigged the election and that he must stay in power to make sure elections are fair from now on.
I saw that - not sure how lowering interest rates would decrease inflation, especially since most countries end up raising interest rates to try to get inflation under control. I mean, higher interest rates on home loans inevitably leads to fewer people looking to buy a house, right? That seems like common sense to me.

Regarding the ballot stuffing, sadly, I'm worried that it is all too likely, unless there are outside observers at almost every polling place.

However, Erdogan came to power because of an earlier earthquake, and people were angry about all of the deaths and lack of response. I'm wondering if the recent earthquake may cause another 'changing of the guard' there again.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I fear and suspect that Erdogan corrupted and dismantled far too much of what made Turkey a European candidate in the first place.
Meaning, their elections may no longer have consequences and are simply a mask for whoever leads his party / military.

Reactions: Thump553

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I fear and suspect that Erdogan corrupted and dismantled far too much of what made Turkey a European candidate in the first place.
Meaning, their elections may no longer have consequences and are simply a mask for whoever leads his party / military.

For a second there I thought you were referring to Putin although following along with what Erdogan has been up to in Turkey it really does seem that he has been practicing the Putin model of remaining so "popular" with the people of his nation including how that Russian tyrant blessed himself with a non-expiring stay in office.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Maybe a national emergency that forces him to stay in power like a coup attempt.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Maybe a national emergency that forces him to stay in power like a coup attempt.
Possible, they had one of those not that long ago, and with inflation at 80% earlier this year, there are bound to be a lot of dissatisfied folks who would love a reset.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I don't know either but I want to keep an eye on it. Erdogan's opponent is campaigning on democratic reforms, on restoring the country to how it was before Erdogan. So everyone should be paying attention.

Let's see what happens if he loses. The surest sign of a being a dictator is refusing to leave after you lost an election. Sound familiar?

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
we haven't been above meddling in other countries elections tho it's been usually to the advantage of right-wind despots. like erdogon.
we could state assassinations using their own country folk and use non explosive weaponry to down their official planes. meddling is old school when there's easier avenues.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What seems an especially... uphill battle... Is that Erdogan seems to have had success with the narrative that all the deaths surrounding the earthquakes was "gods will", no one could have prevented these deaths, it is what it is.

Of course that is utter bs.

"Think of the corruption that developed out of this system: government contracts were given to people who were not necessarily the most competent, but the ones you owed favors to, to allow them some graft. There was just so much graft in the construction industry. The government, which had put out regulations about how buildings should be safely built after the 1999 earthquake, basically kept issuing amnesties. If a new building wasn’t up to code, instead of making them fix it, they would grant amnesty, or there was just a small punishment fee of some kind. These were favors that were given to people in the construction industry who were friends of the A.K.P.—they were saved from having to spend extra money. Many of those buildings collapsed. People are absolutely furious and talking about it in Turkey."

But it seems like Erdogan has had luck stuffing god down their throats and effectively quelled the uprising.

The fucking thing is its the same corruption we see crumbling Russia's military right now. Why the fuck would you subscribe to that?

Maybe we should have faith in humanity instead of magical constructs a figurines... Though I get it. Its hard. Its fucking hard.(to have faith in humanity that is..)