If cannabis becomes legal in California whats the odds that other states will follow?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pollock

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2004
I think it's an interesting commentary on how referendums seem like a good idea in theory (i.e. direct democracy) but often end up being disastrous or pointless because the common voter doesn't think about consequences.

Just like how most laws end up being disastrous or pointless because the common congressman doesn't think about consequences.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What is going to be amusing is the reaction of the folks who so loudly stated that Prop 8 was THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE and should therefore stand. I somehow doubt they'll be quite as insistent this time around despite it being THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

totally unrelated. The existence of Prop 8 is completely illegal. Meaning, it violated California Law simply by being on the ballot. Hilarious.

The civil rights of a minority group is not comparable to the private habits that effect all groups and all classes.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I suspect the feds will go after the big grow operations first...if their corporate masters will allow them to do so...then, they'll go after the resellers, and even the street corner "pot stores" before they go after "Dick and Jane" who grow 1-2 plants for personal consumption.

I think you are overestimating "the feds" and the level of resources they have available to them.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I think you are overestimating "the feds" and the level of resources they have available to them.

Nope. Under Bush, they went after several "medical marijuana co-ops"...and won.

It was judged that the jurors couldn't be told nor could they consider that medical marijuana was legal in Kahleeforneeya. I expect the same will happen if/when they go after the big corporate grow operations as well.

Federal law trumps state law.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Hawaii was the last hold out when every other state went to a drinking age of 21. Even though it is an Island they still have interstates and funding was threatened.. then bam. Now you have to be 21 to drink in Hawaii.

I thought Louisiana was the last holdout. The roads there are farking awful because of it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's basically what I'm asking. Where will you be allowed to smoke pot? People are rabid about tobacco smoke, to the point of making rules about smoking in your own home or apartment because other residents can smell it, and the smell lingers in other people's homes as well. There have been lawsuits.

this is already in the bill. No public smoking. It is to be treated almost equal with alcohol. believe me, this is an issue, for smokers, that will be easy to follow, lol.

I can see neighbors complaining about others smoking in their backyards and such, and as with other related cases, they should learn to deal with this privately. it's amazing how reasonable people are when you actually talk to them, as apposed to calling the cops or taking your war to the internet, or whatever.

And no, it doesn't linger. Even if you smoke all day, (which even for the heaviest of stoners, is nothing like the amounts a serious chain smoker would produce), the smell doesn't linger more than a day, even within the house.

As a neighbor, you'd likely have little to worry about.

If your neighbor starts growing...you'd certainly know when harvest time is approaching. If someone is unwilling to go through the steps to reduce the odor form their crop, or their smoking, and is seriously getting pissy saying "It's legal now, bitch! try to loosen up, whatever," ...then just call the feds. :D

There is nothing inherently different from a smoker from a drinker from a pot smoker from a piano player...whatever. If a certain individual is just as reasonable as the next person, it can and should be dealt with privately.

an asshole is an asshole. If, after exhausting normal approaches that are generally encouraged in all well-meaning societies, then treat the asshole as they should be treated: with the full force of law available to you. I guarantee you there will be some Feds chomping at the bit to clamp down on anyone. ;)

Just remember that there are and will be assholes on both sides of this issue. Try not to be one of them.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
Personally, I think this is going to turn out better than everyone thinks, and could be legal nationwide within the next few years. Go ahead and flame away, but, this is my opinion.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I would think that Colorado and Oregon would probably be next.

definitely. Colorado is chomping at the bit. Their industry has been growing at some 300% clip over the previous year. Of course, a lot of thinning out has occurred with these upstarts.

if CA passes it, CO will probably jump on this for the next election, if they can mobilize fast enough.

Oregon probably doesn't even need to make it official, lol. They'll just assume it's legal there, after CA, and no one will bother much enforcing it state-wide. :D

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Personally, I think this is going to turn out better than everyone thinks, and could be legal nationwide within the next few years. Go ahead and flame away, but, this is my opinion.

I would agree with you. It really depends on how much the Fed throws a temper-tantrum about it. They could get really aggressive. They could also pass a law that says any state that legalizes Marijuana loses federal funding for xyz etc. This could scare away other states. Basically they would make a example of California. If you legalize Marijuana we will kick you A$%.

Personally I hope the prop passes. I voted yes for it and I have already mailed in my ballot. However the proposition is trailing in the polls and people seem to be buying into the doom and gloom for Law Enforcement and the Fed.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
If your neighbor starts growing...you'd certainly know when harvest time is approaching.

That phrase give me visions of roving gypsy gangs of cannabis harvesters in VW transporters that will harvest your weed for a small portion of what you have grown. It would be like a whole new cottage industry.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
definitely. Colorado is chomping at the bit. Their industry has been growing at some 300% clip over the previous year. Of course, a lot of thinning out has occurred with these upstarts.

if CA passes it, CO will probably jump on this for the next election, if they can mobilize fast enough.

Oregon probably doesn't even need to make it official, lol. They'll just assume it's legal there, after CA, and no one will bother much enforcing it state-wide. :D

Still, if it passes in any of those states, I'm moving there!

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Pot will be legalized one day. Once all the old farts die out and the new generation takes over. Almost everyone I know 25 and under thinks pot should be legal.

that's because people 25 and under are stupid and don't consider real world consequences.