If cannabis becomes legal in California whats the odds that other states will follow?

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
None, not many want to sign up for the 800 pound gorilla that is the federal government raping them in court for the next 2 decades.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
I'd love to see it happen in CA. Then maybe all the lazy pot heads will flock to that state. That's the beauty of allowing states to do their own thing.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'd love to see it happen in CA. Then maybe all the lazy pot heads will flock to that state. That's the beauty of allowing states to do their own thing.

Never gonna happen. It's too easy to get weed in any state you're in.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
California will legalize it, then they will get owned by the feds, no other state will try after that.

I am pro-legalization of marijuana, fwiw, despite the fact I have never touched the stuff and do not plan on trying it even it was legal.

Not sure if feelings are strong enough for this to become another nullification crisis.

My advice, do what the feds tell you to do, the last time my state tried to "stick it to the man," soldiers came and burned all the major cities. It does not matter how much wealth you have, the feds can still own you. Remember, at the onset of The Civil War, The Confederacy was the fourth wealthiest country in the world. California, if considered an independent entity, would only be eighth.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Civil War was already fought, the States lost. Federal government and its laws stomp on the States, so unless a court overturns the last 150 years changing a state law won't do you all much good.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
I think it's an interesting commentary on how referendums seem like a good idea in theory (i.e. direct democracy) but often end up being disastrous or pointless because the common voter doesn't think about consequences.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
How many potheads do we have on AT? It seems like every other thread is about legalization.

Umm because if you haven't heard, there's this Proposition going on in Cali on legalization which is the first in the country. Kind of a big deal fyi.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Other states will follow for sure, but it will probably take time just like it has with medical marijuana.

IMO, even if it doesn't pass this time, it's only a matter of time. Hopefully facts and truth will win out, as they should, in the long run.

Of course, people have probably been saying that since the 70s.... :(:(

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
If CA passes I think Mass. will be next and then the more liberal states will follow.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Civil War was already fought, the States lost. Federal government and its laws stomp on the States, so unless a court overturns the last 150 years changing a state law won't do you all much good.

This is true, but what is your point?

It hasn't stopped the medical marijuana movement. There's no way it would stop full legalization. It's already a losing battle, and it's illegal. I mean, something like 45% of the population admits to trying or smoking marijuana.

Do you think we should have another civil war? How ironic would that be? The People Vs. The Feds because of marijuana...:biggrin:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
This is true, but what is your point?

It hasn't stopped the medical marijuana movement. There's no way it would stop full legalization. It's already a losing battle, and it's illegal. I mean, something like 45% of the population admits to trying or smoking marijuana.

Do you think we should have another civil war? How ironic would that be? The People Vs. The Feds because of marijuana...:biggrin:

Would be funny to see a new "civil war" of sorts to strip some of the power away from the Federal government again and give issues like drug legalization etc. back to the States.

No point beyond the futility ultimately of these movements unless it's done at a federal level. Electing representatives/senators rather than going through state houses is where the real change needs to happen.

Maybe the state movement is a small step in changing the overall landscape, but it'll be small and not some sweeping world is going to change kind of thing I think some are hoping for.

I do foresee a day when you can pick up a pack of Marijuana cigarettes right next to Tobacco ones in a store.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
If you potheads can blow your second hand smoke everywhere, then so can the nicotine fiends, right?

Maybe not. I'd wager that people aren't going to like second hand pot smoke any more than they like tobacco smoke.

I await the legalization of pot so I can see if pot smoke is given a pass or demonized.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
header.jpg

New logo for AT?

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Would be funny to see a new "civil war" of sorts to strip some of the power away from the Federal government again and give issues like drug legalization etc. back to the States.

No point beyond the futility ultimately of these movements unless it's done at a federal level. Electing representatives/senators rather than going through state houses is where the real change needs to happen.

Maybe the state movement is a small step in changing the overall landscape, but it'll be small and not some sweeping world is going to change kind of thing I think some are hoping for.

I do foresee a day when you can pick up a pack of Marijuana cigarettes right next to Tobacco ones in a store.

I agree. I think it's a bigger step than you're giving it credit for, though. I think it would only take a relative few states jumping on board for the Fed to realize it's just pointless. Especially in this environment. I don't think it would be hard for any sane, level headed person to look at the books and realize what a waste of money it is. I think the idea of taxing an "evil" rather than spending money in a failed attempt to control it would be very appealing to just about every state right about now.

Are there any reliable, conservative numbers out there showing the least California could net? Including gross taxes and savings in enforcement resources.

I hope law enforcement doesn't try and say that it will be bad for their people because of layoffs, etc. That's nonsense. If anything, they need to keep every head they have. It should increase productivity overall, since resources are less spread out. They need to focus on drugs that actually matter, like meth and crack. But even then there is a fine line... I think the use of any drug should be decriminalized, but the manufacture and dealing of drugs we deem undesirable in society should carry more hefty, criminal penalties.

Last edited:

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
If you potheads can blow your second hand smoke everywhere, then so can the nicotine fiends, right?

Maybe not. I'd wager that people aren't going to like second hand pot smoke any more than they like tobacco smoke.

I await the legalization of pot so I can see if pot smoke is given a pass or demonized.

Where in the bill does it say you can smoke it anywhere? Smoking is smoking. No smoking = no smoking of anything in public

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
Pot will be legalized one day. Once all the old farts die out and the new generation takes over. Almost everyone I know 25 and under thinks pot should be legal.

fantolay

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2009
Every pothead would move to California and their financial problem would be even worse.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
It won't be legalized in other states until the Supreme Court doesn't have conservative puppets.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
even if this passes, will is stop the DEA from coming in and busting people?