If Americans paid as much attention to their Government as they do to the death of Michael Jackson....

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
On the other hand, it could be even messier with all the egos needing attention - too many cooks in the kitchen. Just being the devils advocate...

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
http://tinyurl.com/n4tv2d

Although it is sad that MJ is now dead, people tend to focus waaay too much on celebrities' lives and deaths than things that have a more direct affect on their everyday lives - like, say, their governments. The media has gotten even worse these past few decades in that they are run more like a business with less focus on the public service aspect. Hence, they tend to milk anything and everything for ratings. As far as MJ is concerned, they may as well have told their actual investigative reporters to take the next week off.

Oct 16, 1999
:thumbsup:

It really baffles me how something like this that's so unimportant to people's everyday lives garners so much attention vs. how something that affects nearly every aspect gets so very little. MJ's death is just one of a thousand things that people seem to care about at the expense of things that actually matter.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
"I just heard on the news that my state Senator had a gay affair. I think we need to....Hey, LOOK! American Idol's about to start!"

It seems like interest in the policial scene for the average American is as short-lived as the attention span of the MTV generation...they can stand it for brief flashes...but no longer...then on to something else for a brief flash, then...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: techs
Title: If Americans paid as much attention to their Government as they do to the death of Michael Jackson....
we wouldn't be in such a mess.

Agree?

Nero fiddled while Rome burned. As do we.

I agree very much. We could be in a mess, certainly, but we might care enough to hold our incumbents accountable.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Likely true and the reason there should be a basic test of competency/knowledge before being allowed to vote. e.g. if you don't know any difference between russia and the soviet union but you know britney spears' birthday, no vote!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is nothing. America was disfunctional for months following the death of Elvis....at least the women here were. :roll:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Couldn't agree more. The American Idol syndrome makes me want to punch a baby.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Originally posted by: kage69

you mean how it means more to most Americans who wins that shit than who becomes president and such?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Gothgar
Originally posted by: kage69

you mean how it means more to most Americans who wins that shit than who becomes president and such?

Yeah, and probably the fact the most americans WANT politics to be "exciting" like American Idol. The more news I watch, the more I start to question my belief that eugenics is immoral.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
unfortunately this is who we are, who we have been and who we will continue to be.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
For once I agree with techs. If people spent nearly as much time looking at actual important issues rather than who Lindsey Lohan dated last week, we'd be in great shape.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

In a word, yes. It applies to wide range of apathetic and odd behavior though. I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people who complain about government and politicians do their best to insulate themselves from a better understanding of both. It's shameful that such a large chunk of this country considers tabloid-esque gossip and celebrity worship more topical and relevant than say, immigration and healthcare reform, stamping out AQ, fixing Social Security, the list goes on...

/rant

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
It makes me sick to think that MJ's death has overshadowed Neda's.

I hope our media gets real again by Monday.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
It makes me sick to think that MJ's death has overshadowed Neda's.

I hope our media gets real again by Monday.

MJ is more important than Neda.

MJ, decades of art. Neda, died...very recently. In Iran.

Why would American's care more about someone they never knew in a country not many of them care about than an artist many of them grew up listening to?

I care about politics and the direction of our country more than most, but the level of smug on that post is off the charts.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Gee, I'll have to ponder that right after I finish my case of beer and pork rinds and watch the wrestling finals. Then, there is the 24 hour marathon WOW tournament, and the football and baseball games I have to finish, then Entertainment Tonight is having an a 4 hour special about dead pop stars, then its Survivor, and Dancing with the Stars is on, and ESPN is having an all day steroids and athletes special, then.........

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
All the fucking idiots, morons, and trolls in this forum, and we're all 100X more educated than the average american when it comes to politics.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: alchemize
All the fucking idiots, morons, and trolls in this forum, and we're all 100X more educated than the average american when it comes to politics.
Almost correct. The repuggies are 50x and the democrits are 150x.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Eh, I do disagree. Americans don't have to have any cogent thought about the death of Michael Jackson, and their hero-worship or demonizing can be completely irrational without making one whit of difference. Attention alone does not an educated populace make.

Yes, it would help, but it would take a lot more training in logic, cause and effect, economic and social theory, systems of government, voting bias, poll bias, and media bias before you'd have a populace that could keep the country from becoming a mess. Not to mention integrity and selflessness, two things which cannot be taught in school.