If Americans paid as much attention to their Government as they do to the death of Michael Jackson....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
we wouldn't be in such a mess.

Agree?

But then The Dems couldn't sneak in legislation as easy... I'm kidding to some degree... Remember Dems don't like to waste a disaster.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: AreaCode707
Eh, I do disagree. Americans don't have to have any cogent thought about the death of Michael Jackson, and their hero-worship or demonizing can be completely irrational without making one whit of difference. Attention alone does not an educated populace make.

Yes, it would help, but it would take a lot more training in logic, cause and effect, economic and social theory, systems of government, voting bias, poll bias, and media bias before you'd have a populace that could keep the country from becoming a mess. Not to mention integrity and selflessness, two things which cannot be taught in school.
This. I'm agreeing more and more with you lately and this scares me...

Most people have their political biases implanted by their family or other role model. It takes a lot of thought and fortitude to go against this. Most pick the news outlet of their liking to occaissionally reinforce their preconceptions.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Eh, I do disagree. Americans don't have to have any cogent thought about the death of Michael Jackson, and their hero-worship or demonizing can be completely irrational without making one whit of difference. Attention alone does not an educated populace make.

Yes, it would help, but it would take a lot more training in logic, cause and effect, economic and social theory, systems of government, voting bias, poll bias, and media bias before you'd have a populace that could keep the country from becoming a mess. Not to mention integrity and selflessness, two things which cannot be taught in school.
b]This. I'm agreeing more and more with you lately and this scares me...[/b]

Most people have their political biases implanted by their family or other role model. It takes a lot of thought and fortitude to go against this. Most pick the news outlet of their liking to occaissionally reinforce their preconceptions.

:D I'm not a conservative extremist nutjob, I promise. I debate with my family about that at least as often as I debate with liberal dems. I *like* not fitting into a particular box! Welcome to the outside, where our votes will probably never count. :)

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

:D I'm not a conservative extremist nutjob, I promise. I debate with my family about that at least as often as I debate with liberal dems. I *like* not fitting into a particular box! Welcome to the outside, where our votes will probably never count. :)
Never said you were.

Well ... maybe a nut.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I think part of the problem is most don't see the government as working for them, but for the large campain contributors and lobbiest. they tend to feel no matter what they do, their reps. and senators no long cares what the voter thinks once the they get past the election.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001

Never said you were.

Well ... maybe a nut.

I resent that! I'm a freak, pure and simple! :p

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

Never said you were.

Well ... maybe a nut.

I resent that! I'm a freak, pure and simple! :p
Can't agree without evidence. Freak is something you must earn.

Jun 27, 2005

Agree?

You could replace MJ with Brittany Spears... John and Kate... Brad and Angelina... *....

and you would be correct.

The fact that congress could pass a multi-trillion dollar bailout with NO review by anybody is mind boggling. The environment bill that just got passed... same thing. 1200 pages with 300 more that show up right before the vote? Are you kidding me? Anybody read that? Fuck... how can you write that in time to vote on it much less read it? Seriously

Do the authors (whoever they are... 'cause they are not congresspeople) even know what is in those bills?

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Likely true and the reason there should be a basic test of competency/knowledge before being allowed to vote. e.g. if you don't know any difference between russia and the soviet union but you know britney spears' birthday, no vote!

QFT!!!

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..jackson was nothing more then a singing/dancing sight gag. but he's a magnet for cult adoring pop culture americans which also explains "the obama" cultism. He exhaults the deranged so they feel comfortable with their drangement. You guys that worship jackson and his ilk, I hope your kids grow up and become the reckless,broke hollow man that jackson was. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
It makes me sick to think that MJ's death has overshadowed Neda's.

I hope our media gets real again by Monday.

Neda who? What musical group was she part of? :p

One thing you have to realize, Americans rarely care about anything/anyone that we're not told to care about...and if we DO start to care about something outside the "approved compassion list," our attentions are quickly diverted to something else...:roll:

Between the political machines and the media, (too often heavily intertwined) our attentions are usually focused on things that are less important than the things they want our attentions diverted away from...it's more like a game of smoke & mirrors...

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
Originally posted by: alchemize
For once, I'll agree with you!

Seconded, and I'll raise you.

If Americans were able to muster the excitement for knowledge about the world / languages / cultures that they have for Michael Jackson lyrics and trivia, we would have a lot fewer morons running around spewing hate speech and idiocy.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

Agree?

I cannot believe that I actually agree with techs, but I do agree with this.

It's sad to realize that more people can recite all of MJ's songs, his vital statistics, life story, etc., but they can't even name their representative or what their rep stands for.

Think of all the good that would be accomplished if we had a voter base that actually paid attention and held their politicians accountable.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
It makes me sick to think that MJ's death has overshadowed Neda's.
:roll: Take some Pepto Bismal, you'll feel better in the morning.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
seriously, who the hell cares about Michael Jackson?

I like some of his music, but thats where it ends. I don't know him.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
seriously, who the hell cares about Michael Jackson?

I like some of his music, but thats where it ends. I don't know him.
It's like driving by a wreck on the freeway, you can't help but look.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: IGBT
..jackson was nothing more then a singing/dancing sight gag. but he's a magnet for cult adoring pop culture americans which also explains "the obama" cultism. He exhaults the deranged so they feel comfortable with their drangement. You guys that worship jackson and his ilk, I hope your kids grow up and become the reckless,broke hollow man that jackson was. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Thanks for proving you're a nutcase once again.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Bitter much?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Americans are trained from birth to be morons so they will spend. Oh it's easy for me to see what a moron you are but the fact is I am too. It's not so easy to escape ones brainwashing. It happened before we could even think.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor

Thanks for proving you're a nutcase once again.

I'll bet your a good song and dance type.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001

I have no love lost for MJ, but judging from your post, it sounds like you are the deranged one.