Question [Idea] Ryzen Black Edition - 3D V-cache for Zen4?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just thinking of some marketing. When AMD get around to adding the 3D V-cache treatment to Zen4, they should resurrect the "Black" moniker from the FX CPUs.

Ryzen Black Edition

Has kind of a ring to it really.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
I think there's zero chance of a new black edition CPU. Simply because they have released kinda bad BE cpus, but they have only released one X3D cpu, and it is already building a very strong word of mouth reputation in many communities (simulators, emulators, etc). You don't throw away that kind of free marketing.

Which imho is a shame, because I think that X3D is noisy branding, and that BE was better.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I will be THAT guy and make it weird.

I think of Ryzen as a portmanteau of Rising and Zen. Conjuring images of the sun rising in the East, combined with the Zen principle of enlightenment. More fittingly, sitting in seiza, calmly meditating as the sun comes up. Bringing light where there was darkness. Black edition is the darkness it is disspelling. Sun Ryzen comes, and with it, Gandalf and the Rohirrim! Wait, what are we talking about again?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Black Edition is associated with the old FX marketing program. AMD killed that off years ago. They are not likely to resurrect it.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Black Edition is associated with the old FX marketing program. AMD killed that off years ago. They are not likely to resurrect it.
Black Edition is more associated with AMD's competing against Intel's OC-focused black boxes. Which started with Phenom/Athlon 64 X2 not FX.

AMD's greyish~black Ryzen boxes are basically the same thing. Using the old style of denoting black edition(Unlocked for Overclocking) without labeling it such.

Calling it black edition, implies overclocking, so X3D which has reduced overhead of overclocking should not be black edition.

---
If it needs a color edition, wouldn't it be the Green or Teal colored boxes?

Green/Teal => Larger L2/L3 w/o black edition
Purple => Cut-down L2 and potentially no L3, etc or as well as lower clocks in Phenom era.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Great deal. I guess you must be really pleased with it. Matching Geforce 1080 Ti and more VRAM for custom high-res texture mods. Not bad.

I would have been more pleased with it had I extra to sell for over $2k last year. They were hard to get though, so, whatever. Now people are dumping them for $700 on eBay. It's quite amusing.

Jul 27, 2020
I bet there are now a class of gamers that buy two of the same type of GPU in the hope that they might be able to sell off the extra one to essentially get a free GPU and even make a little extra on top.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
If you didn't sell your Radeon VII to some crazed miner for at least $1,000 more than you paid, I'm not sure what more you could ask for. That thing basically experienced a hidden unlock that would let you upgrade to a new top of the line AMD GPU for free.