Question I'd like your advice on Dell G15 5520 vs HP Omen 17-ck1111nr

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
These specs are very similar between these two laptops and both are in stock at the local Microcenter. The main difference, that I'm aware of, is the display and the keyboard. Maybe some of you have experience with these two systems.

Dell G15 5520 15.6" Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7 12th Gen 12700H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6
16GB DDR5-4800 RAM
1TB PCIe Gen4 M.2 SSD
15.6" FHD WVA Anti-Glare LED-backlit Narrow Border 165Hz Display
Bluetooth 5.2
2x2 Wireless LAN Wifi 6 (Gig+) 802.11ax
3 x USB 3.2 (Gen 1 Type-A)
Thunderbolt 4 x1
DOLBY Audio w/Stereo Speakers
240 Watt AC Adapter
Battery 6-Cell Lithium-Ion
Weight 5.5 lbs

$1,399.99
HP OMEN 17-ck1111nr 17.3" Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7 12th Gen 12700H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6
16GB DDR5-4800 RAM
1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD (Gen?)
17.3" Full HD IPS Micro-Edge Anti-Glare Low Blue Light 144Hz Display
Bluetooth 5.2
2x2 Wireless LAN Wifi 6E 802.11ax
3 x USB 3.1 (Gen 1 Type-A)
1 Thunderbolt 4
Audio by Bang & Olufsen; DTS:X Ultra; Dual speakers; HP Audio Boost
330 Watt Smart AC Adapter
Battery 6-Cell Li-ion Polymer
Weight 6.15 lbs

$1,299.99

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Having just ventured down this road of upgrading to 12700H it depends on what you plan on doing with it and what you plan on upgrading right off the bat or if you have drives / wifi / etc on hand already.

I went with a NP70PNP from Clevo for $1300 shipped barebones no RAM / drives installed. I'm working on finishing up the project with a newer / better panel though and have it narrowed down to a 4K120 AUO option for ~$300. The thing about most laptops is they come with the cheapest possible options to get them into peoples hands. Taking the time to put in higher end drives / ram ($250-$300) instead of paying for the cheap stuff in the box from the OEM makes for a better experience.

I had drives from prior laptops and put in a SN850 1TB + PNY CS3030 1TB since the laptop has a Gen 3 and Gen 4 slot for drives. I moved over my AX210 WIFI card which is capable of 6E and the last part of the puzzle is the screen which takes all of about 5 minutes to swap out.

I ordered it on a Monday and it was supposed to arrive on Saturday of the same week except UPS had an issue and it showed up on Monday. Most lead times right now are 3-4 weeks or more from the bigger OEMs.

The laptop itself though is a huge improvement over my prior 9750H. This thing flies in comparison to that machine and that was loaded with the same HW for drives / RAM. The new one I put in Timetec 3200mhz / 32gb for ~$100.

So:
Laptop - $1309 / shipping/tax included
Ram - $100 - 32GB 3200mhz
Drives - $0 - already had them
---- $1409

Screen - $300 - personal preference

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
@Tech Junky - I saw your post yesterday about the Clevo. Seems like an interesting concept, but I want one that is ready to go and that has a warranty.

I am well aware of some of the "junk" OEMs put in systems. I bought a Dell G15 5511 for my wife and it only had 8GB of RAM (1x8GB), but 2 slots. So, before it arrived I ordered another 8GB SODIMM. When I installed it, I found that Dell had put in a 1 Rank x16 RAM module. The new one was 1R x 8. They worked fine together and put the system into dual channel mode, which made a measurable difference.

John

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
They have warranties like any other machine you get from HP / Dell. They also come as complete sets ready to go out of the box.
1652995378525.png

Fully customizable. Even the Barebone options you can add drives to them and such. Cheaper to buy your own and put them in though.

Minus the screen w/ 2 x 1TB drives + 32GB RAM bumps the price to $1779 out the door w/ shipping / tax included. It's worth playing around with the drop downs and see what fits you vs being boxed in with Dell / HP.

Doesn't look like you're set on anything specific other than 3060 / 12700H / TB4 / 16GB DDR5 - DDR5 to me from a technical standpoint doesn't make much sense yet with the increased costs.

When it comes to DDR5 though it doesn't look like RJT has any options.

When looking generically for a couple of things here's what I'm seeing from major brands...

Obviously they don't show all the prices but, it's a good option for narrowing things down to specific models and then digging into them.

If you're looking for DDR5 this helps - https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/memory/

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
It's worth playing around with the drop downs and see what fits you vs being boxed in with Dell / HP.

I have and noted that not even Windows is included on the link you provided to Clevo. I'm just not interested in a barebones laptop. I build my own desktop system and that is enough.

Doesn't look like you're set on anything specific other than 3060 / 12700H / TB4 / 16GB DDR5 - DDR5 to me from a technical standpoint doesn't make much sense yet with the increased costs.

In this case DDR5 in included. Of the items you listed, the I7-12700H is something I don't HAVE to include. I found the same system with an i7-11800H, a little slower in tests, but still a great CPU. It is $200 cheaper. TB4 isn't important to me now, but ya never know. Based on that, one major consideration is price.

John

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Then maybe I missed something in the OP as both systems lined up with CPU/GPU/NVME/TB4......

If keeping costs low then the biggest thing to trim would be DDR5 / TB4. If not using ADL isn't a priority then that might reduce things a bit more.

You can easily go sub-$1000 if these aren't priorities and add your own upgrades during the process. My prior laptop was a 9750H that I snagged off ebay for $700 and then threw a bunch of upgrades into it for $300 or so overall between drives / ram / wifi / screen. However the comparison between that and this ADL are considerable in the performance whether it's just loading something or the heat management. The 9750 ran hot most of the time no matter what unless I gimped it into silent mode. The bigger difference for day to day things is the iGPU on the CPU being 3X better for performance. The Iris iGPU has 96EU attached to it whereas the UHD series in general has a max of 32EU's. Faster processing of things means less runtime to heat things up.

Performance for day to day things on the UHD series tended to be sluggish and stutter where it made some sense to move those tasks over to the GTX for a smoother experience.

So, it depends on how you're going to use the laptop and how often you plan to upgrade to keep costs low and recover funds from selling the prior laptop in the process. Obviously warranty being a key consideration as well ebay might not be your route though there's plenty of new systems on there as well with used items you can also add a warranty of your own post purchase.

So, the short of it is ADL / Iris makes a big difference over prior generations for general use. The DDR thing is no benefit at this point. TB4 is nice to have if you have a use for it whether it be external monitors or NVME enclosures. Prices for TB devices is still kind of high but, as more people have the port on their machines it should drag prices down a bit more since TB4 doesn't have the huge royalty fees Intel was charging for TB3 and lower. Most TB users have Mac's though and are used to paying more anyway.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I was just hoping someone could give me insight into the two systems I posted as I am driving to Microcenter in the morning. I have absolutely no desire to piece together a laptop, nor wait to get parts. And no, price is not the most important, value is and both of these are a great value. I know that the ADL chip is superior in many ways. But, the i7-11800h is no slouch either. Having the 3060, a high refresh screen with anti-glare and 300-nits with excellent RGB coverage were specs that I was shooting for. The other stuff is just a bonus.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
All things being equal I'd go for the cheapest option. If it's based on personal experience then I would go for the Dell.

I've seen too many issues with HP in the enterprise world to deal with them on a personal basis. Dell not so much. I've owned probably 5 of them over the last 20+ years but have also owned Lenovo / MS Surface and Clevo. On the desktop side I build my own so that doesn't count.

Go get hands on with them and see which one feels better. Play with them for 15 mins each and then go grab a bite to eat to think about the experience and then go buy it.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
The big difference I see is size. The smaller one will be more portable, the bigger may be easier on your eyes.

I also noticed the big one comes with a much more powerful power brick. It is likely the big one will perform better even with such similar specs because bigger often means better cooling (and therefore a bigger power budget).

Compare weight, including the power brick as they can add quite a bit of heft. I once bought a large heavy 17 inch which combined with the weight of a huge power supply was a bit cumbersome. I prefer my $750, thin, relatively light,15 inch HP with the 1660ti.

If you are going to spend much effort upgrading pick a model with convenient doors. That is the one thing I prefer on our Nitro 5, it has handy panels that open with a single screw, rather than needing to take the whole thing apart.

20220519_232512.jpg

Last edited:

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I feel like Columbo...

One more thing, those are really nice rigs, so nice you might feel terrible if yours got stolen or broken. IDK if that is a lot of money to you or not. I'd prefer to put something cheaper at risk.

My wife dropped my $750 HP when a strap broke and smashed one corner a bit. I almost cried. It is still serviceable after an emprovised repair, just a little ugly on the one side...

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
noticed the big one comes with a much more powerful power brick.
Also, a point of note. The 3060 and really any mobile RTX card comes in different power levels. Bigger PSU could mean top end TGP for graphics based operations. IIRC the top end 3060 comes in at 140W. Mine comes in at 115W and the PSU is 180W

Without the 3060 invoked it's pulling ~100W
1653021755944.png

With the 3060 invoked it gets closer to that 180W threshold.
1653021909563.png

I had not looked at the power draw though since getting it so, it's a nice sanity check when considering I also use a USB-C trigger cable to keep it charged when in the car doing stuff.

Jul 27, 2020
I was just hoping someone could give me insight into the two systems I posted as I am driving to Microcenter in the morning.
I would choose the HP since it has a 330W adapter so the CPU/GPU would likely be able to boost higher. The bigger chassis may also provide better airflow. But that's just me since I like to use laptops plugged in (it's easier to move around the house than a bulky desktop+monitor+keyboard and all those cables).

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
@Tech Junky & @lakedude Thanks guys!

The big difference I see is size. The smaller one will be more portable, the bigger may be easier on your eyes.

I also noticed the big one comes with a much more powerful power brick. It is likely the big one will perform better even with such similar specs because bigger often means better cooling.

Compare weight, including the power brick as can add quite a bit of heft.

The HP power brick is HUGE. I saw it on a YT video and was shocked. That plus the size of the 17incher and the lack of a 10-key pad, pushes me towards the Dell. The Dell 240 watt PS is tiny, but much more manageable.

John

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

The HP power brick is HUGE. I saw it on a YT video and was shocked. That plus the size of the 17incher and the lack of a 10-key pad, pushes me towards the Dell. The Dell 240 watt PS is tiny, but much more manageable.

John

Wait what? A 17" without numpad?

This says it has numpad

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022

John

There are ways around the power brick issue unless you're gaming. I use a USB-100W PD charger and a trigger cable that outputs 100W of power. This allows charging while not invoking the GPU and works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089FC1TRF/ - $35 but it looks like they have a new model - https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Charger-Certified-Foldable-Compatible/dp/B09MD9HJG6 @ $42

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FRC39F4 - $14 cable

I also got a 65W car charger for ~$20 to keep it powered in the car / power bank that has a 100W input/output for the same car / travel for $90 that gives me 2+ hours of portable power.

The USB/trigger option fit in your pocket or easily in a laptop bag. For $56 it's very much about convenience to carry.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Wait what? A 17" without numpad?

There is no numpad. There are keys where a 10-key pad would go. I played with one a good bit and really liked it. The salesperson preferred it over the Dell, but the size was my main issue. Maybe you can tell from this pic.

hp-omen-15-with-ryzen-3.jpg

What did you get?

Do you love it?

I got the Dell G15 5520 with i7-12700H and yeah it is really sweet!

Userbenchmark Results

Probably busy installing updates.

Well, I'm trying. I screwed my Steam login and have to contact CS. Gotta stop now and go watch TV with wife.

John

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I had a I don't even remember which model at this point but, the 5520 was in contention for my ADL options as well when supplies / options were a bit more limited. For me though collecting more components I'm replacing anyway doesn't make sense. If the 5520 is anything like the ones I've owned over the years it will last a decade as long as you keep it up to date with drives / ram. Dell does make a good machine for a no fuss out of the box and go situation and they're sturdy.

I've switched from using them into the ground to a more frequent upgrade cycle to get some money out of them to put towards new ones. Retaining value is a good The 12700H / 3060 is a good middle ground for performance though and it's a lot cheaper than going up the ladder in to 3070/3080 territory.

If you use it on your lap though and game... word of advice... put something under it to limit skin contact as the RTX's get toasty and you might get some blistering on your legs.

Reactions: JWMiddleton

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There is no numpad. There are keys where a 10-key pad would go. I played with one a good bit and really liked it. The salesperson preferred it over the Dell, but the size was my main issue. Maybe you can tell from this pic.

View attachment 61855

Userbenchmark Results

Well, I'm trying. I screwed my Steam login and have to contact CS. Gotta stop now and go watch TV with wife.

John
Weird, I see a numpad at the omen site.

Screenshot_20220520-193655.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JWMiddleton

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Nope, zoom in on the picture I attached in post 22 and you can see it is numpad. So weird to have versions of keyboards.
When OEMs design things they have slightly different versions sometimes for each retailer. Slightly different SKU for each one. While MC doesn't tend to fall into this category but does happen.