Question I'd like your advice on Dell G15 5520 vs HP Omen 17-ck1111nr

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
These specs are very similar between these two laptops and both are in stock at the local Microcenter. The main difference, that I'm aware of, is the display and the keyboard. Maybe some of you have experience with these two systems.

Dell G15 5520 15.6" Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7 12th Gen 12700H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6
16GB DDR5-4800 RAM
1TB PCIe Gen4 M.2 SSD
15.6" FHD WVA Anti-Glare LED-backlit Narrow Border 165Hz Display
Bluetooth 5.2
2x2 Wireless LAN Wifi 6 (Gig+) 802.11ax
3 x USB 3.2 (Gen 1 Type-A)
Thunderbolt 4 x1
DOLBY Audio w/Stereo Speakers
240 Watt AC Adapter
Battery 6-Cell Lithium-Ion
Weight 5.5 lbs

$1,399.99
HP OMEN 17-ck1111nr 17.3" Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7 12th Gen 12700H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6
16GB DDR5-4800 RAM
1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD (Gen?)
17.3" Full HD IPS Micro-Edge Anti-Glare Low Blue Light 144Hz Display
Bluetooth 5.2
2x2 Wireless LAN Wifi 6E 802.11ax
3 x USB 3.1 (Gen 1 Type-A)
1 Thunderbolt 4
Audio by Bang & Olufsen; DTS:X Ultra; Dual speakers; HP Audio Boost
330 Watt Smart AC Adapter
Battery 6-Cell Li-ion Polymer
Weight 6.15 lbs

$1,299.99

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
The two even have different hinges.
It's possible.

For instance when you buy something on Amazon it might have one sku and best buy has a slightly different sku for the appearance of the same item. It might be as minor as a different preset mapped button on a remote or something internal to the device. It's not unheard of or a mystery that this happens.

It also allows the vendor to get stats on different sales channels for further development / sales. The metrics for each sku form a picture of what works / sells. Focusing on the higher volume sales increases the bottom line. It's a number game.

Even router companies do this appending different variations to the sku to see where more sales are coming from. The sku might also be tied to a region where one device in the US is different from EU. Sometimes in networking due to cryptographic laws certain devices can't be sold under an embargo for the security and thus not including that particular HW / SW in the product being sold to say CN makes it possible.

Hinges and KB's are minor as long as the MOBO/CPU/GPU are the same it shouldn't make much difference unless you really need that 10-key option because you work with a lot of numbers like an accountant. I prefer a 10-key but, it's not the end of the world if I didn't have it.

Bigger issues would be key spacing from one machine to another where some are so tightly together it's an adjustment when you're used to a slight spacing between them. Texture of the keys can also be a bit annoying to deal with switching from one machine to another. If there's a bit more flex in the KB it might be less efficient if you're used to a firmness.

This is why I said go play with each one for 15 mins and then go do something else to let it sink in for a bit before making a decision based on something like a power brick or screen size. 15.6 vs 17.3 isn't that big of a dimension change to take in visually. Going from FHD to 4K though or reverse does make for a difference if you adjust the windows scaling on 4K to gain real estate. Seeing as though they were virtually identical from specs perspective though it comes down to feel / experience. Usually starting off with a Top 3 must haves list narrows things down to a manageable number of devices to sift through. Also, MC doesn't put out on display all 100 options they have in stock in the store to narrow the focus. If you're looking for something particular you usually don't need to get hands on with it. The higher end / niche machines tend to stay in the box until purchase.

Jul 27, 2020
Here is a YT video that shows a great shot of keyboard at the 38 second mark...HP Omen 17
Wow. That power brick looks like a mini PSU with no vents :D Kind of like a NUC. I would clearly put a sticker on it labelling it as a power brick to avoid confusion. But the laptop is still attractive to me, even without a numpad. Pretty high quality. Wouldn't mind picking it up at clearance price.