IBM Question

cwgannon

May 24, 2005
As an incoming college freshman, I am looking to purchase a notebook.

After much debate, I've decided on an IBM Thinkpad T43, no matter the extra cost involved.

Unfortunately, IBM's purchasing "setup" is a bit foreign to me (and I'm not quite sure why). It seems to me that the only way to fully customize and configure a laptop is to use their Think Express program, which, from the looks of it, is for business use only.

So, my question is, are IBM notebooks fully customizable for non-business users or are the results given using the "Notebook finder" my only choices?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Does IBM really not offer an education discount? I know my school (UW-Madison) has a program through Dell, but it just seems odd that IBM leaves those at such schools in the dark...

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
They do have a general academic discount program, but I don't know how much off it is. Instead I would try to find someone who has access to the IBM EPP and get a like 30% discount.
I've heard their are also program for Visa & Mastercard users, so google for those :)
Also, check out forums.thinkpads.com ; that is a great resource and I'm sure someone could help you find specific links there

cwgannon

May 24, 2005
Thanks for the replies.

So, for clarification's sake, I can't, as I can on Dell's site, for instance, fully customize a notebook? In other words, are the models listed in the "tabook" the only available models?

I'll be sure to google for the Visa/Mastercard program and check out the forums as well. I really wish I still knew somebody who worked for IBM though.

cy7878

Jul 2, 2003
The reply above are plain WRONG!!!! IBM does let you customize your Thinkpad right on the website. They also do offer an educational discount to high education and does not even need verification.

The purpose of the Thinkexpress program is to pre-make certain higher demand models with popular features so they can have those ready to ship. SInce the techs are building lots of these things the same way, it costs less to built and cheaper for you to buy than if you fully optioned one yourself.

There is also a 800 number to call and talk to a live person to get what you want. The discount for education is about 10-15%.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: cy7878
The reply above are plain WRONG!!!! IBM does let you customize your Thinkpad right on the website. They also do offer an educational discount to high education and does not even need verification.

The purpose of the Thinkexpress program is to pre-make certain higher demand models with popular features so they can have those ready to ship. SInce the techs are building lots of these things the same way, it costs less to built and cheaper for you to buy than if you fully optioned one yourself.

There is also a 800 number to call and talk to a live person to get what you want. The discount for education is about 10-15%.

Agreed. IBM is as friendly to educators and students as any vendor and can be just as customized.

cwgannon

May 24, 2005
Sounds good, then.

I'll have to call them to see if I can still get a discount if my school does not have a program with them.

(Any thoughts on what they'll say?)

cmp1223

Jun 7, 2004
Have you considered a fujitsu? Just as sturdy, a bit cheaper, and bluetooth, expresscard, and (if you want) glossy screen support.

cy7878

Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: cwgannon
Sounds good, then.

I'll have to call them to see if I can still get a discount if my school does not have a program with them.

(Any thoughts on what they'll say?)

Call the 800 number listed on IBM site and tell them your school name. Tell the rep what you want and he/she will come up with a system and give you an instant quote over the phone -- I know, I have done it many times.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
To what extent can you customize exactly? Looks like you're locked in w/ screen size/gfx/proc. I want a 9600, but only a 14.1" screen to save money. Is that possible?

mickles

Jul 25, 2004
I am pretty sure that Tabook (not thinkexpress!!) is all you can get.

Don't get me wrong, there's a TON of systems on the tabook, but I don't believe they will tailor one for you. Like the guy above said, there are systems (from the tabook) that you can customize, but you can't fiddle with the proc/gfx/screen size... you can do things like add external devices or add ram, which of course anyone can do.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: GoodRevrnd
To what extent can you customize exactly? Looks like you're locked in w/ screen size/gfx/proc. I want a 9600, but only a 14.1" screen to save money. Is that possible?
Yes, its possible.

Just call IBM, don't be lazy and use the web; unfortunately their web ordering system isn't the most friendly for getting exactly what you want and you can give them the exact model # from TABOOK over the phone

cwgannon

May 24, 2005
Well, mine has been ordered.

Thanks to all for the help! It turns out that calling was the best option; I rattled off what I wanted and the rep. found me the model that, as it turns out, I wanted.

cwgannon

May 24, 2005
I went with:

Pentium M 750 (1.86 GHz)
64 MB ATI x300
512 MB RAM
60 GB 5400 RPM (May have to upgrade that later...)
CDRW/DVD
Intel 2915 AGB

The model I ordered also includes the fingerprint reader, which really makes little to no difference to me.

With accessories (Kensington lock, IBM wireless keyboard and mouse, IBM 128 MB memory key), it came out to $1916.55 ($1646.10 for the system itself).

For what I'm using it for (web-browsing, playing MP3s, word-processing), this thing will last quite a few years.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I went with:

Pentium M 750 (1.86 GHz)
64 MB ATI x300
512 MB RAM
60 GB 5400 RPM (May have to upgrade that later...)
CDRW/DVD
Intel 2915 AGB

The model I ordered also includes the fingerprint reader, which really makes little to no difference to me.

With accessories (Kensington lock, IBM wireless keyboard and mouse, IBM 128 MB memory key), it came out to $1916.55 ($1646.10 for the system itself).

For what I'm using it for (web-browsing, playing MP3s, word-processing), this thing will last quite a few years.

The fingerprint reader... you will come to love. Setup properly, it will ask for you print before it will allow XP to even boot.(bound to power on password)...

You can also do password manager so all you need is you stinking finger to log into web pages.....

Want more info, PM me or reply here - I can give you some pointers on it...

cwgannon

May 24, 2005
I'd love some pointers on the fingerprint reader, if you don't mind. I suppose that, if used correctly, it could be pretty nifty.

Feel free to reply here or PM me, whichever you prefer.

cwgannon

May 24, 2005
Good to hear, then. If you have any "words of wisdom" or anything like that, feel free to send me a PM.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I'd love some pointers on the fingerprint reader, if you don't mind. I suppose that, if used correctly, it could be pretty nifty.

Feel free to reply here or PM me, whichever you prefer.

Ok... The fingerprint software is part of the factory preload. You'll find it under Start>all programs>access IBM

THe wizard is pretty self explainatory. It guides you through creating a passport and enrolling fingers for use with the system.... enroll two on dominate hand, one on other hand as a suggestion. You can choose during the passport creation to enable the poweron password support, -- but I think you need to have one set in the bios first - so POPW has to be enabled.

After that, you are good to go for logging into your machine at power up and/or windows login... which-ever you prefer.

There is another piece of software called CSS- Client security software. That also has a wizard, but is much more complex to configure... and this is the tool that will allow password management, and logging onto network resources/web pages with your finger.

Let me know when you get the system... I can get more specific then...

Also... The new version of CSS, and probably the Fingerprint software, will be released on July 19th. I'm supposed to get it early this week, along with some other updates to their software tools. So you might want to wait a bit before configuration.

I also highly recommend you use RRPC (rapid restore PC - free on ThinkPad)... It rocks, no other solution so rich in features, and foolproof. There will be a new version of this out on the 19th as well.

IBM/Lenovo has switched to a twice yearly update schedule for the TVT tools to help the interoperability, and ensure they all look and feel the same interface-wise.

cmp1223

Jun 7, 2004
WackDan, I just ordered a T43 with a fingerprint scanner and would also love to hear more. Since you seem to know alot about thinkpads, what your opinion on the Inte/Atheros wireless option? My T43 was packaged with Intel 2915ABG but i keep hearing good things about Atheros. Is it worth the upgrade? I will only be using wifi casually (around campus, but it will stay connected the ethernet 90% of the time.)