Question I7 9700k high temps and voltage

Th3Sentinel

Jan 4, 2019
Hello everyone. I've just bulit a new pc, been waiting for it for a long time and I came up with some issues with it.
PC: I7 9700k
Noctua NH-U14S
Case : Silentium PC Armis Ar7 with 2 additional fans
Gigabite Aorus z370 k3 gaming
16 GB of Corsair Vengence 3000 Mhz Ram
Gtx 1070 from EVGA

1.First thing I noticed is that temps were high in idle. In high 30 low 40s. But it was idle I didn't mind. But when I started playing I noticed after some time that my frame rate dropped from having 300 fps in csgo down to like 150. I thought to myself that can't be right so I checked and the temps were in the high 80s some cores were at 90°C. That's not good. Turned all the fans to max rmp so it's better but still very high.

2. I noticed that my voltages are high while I was trying to figure our what's the issue. I'm getting roughly 1.45V. What the hell ? I checked online and I should be getting around 1.25-1.3 So that's probably the issue of my heat. Tried to lower Load line calibration In bios but I wouldn't let me so I found it in a motherboard software app that let me change it from high to medium or sth like that It wasn't really precise. Didnt help though

3.So my question is: is it motherboards fault for giving too high voltage? Is it my bad cooler and should I just go liquid ? Or am I just unlucky on the silicon lottery and I have a ****** cpu? Ps; I'm pretty sure that the 9th gen i7 should hit 4.9 ghz at least on 1 core right? The highest I've seen mine go was 4.7 which I think is due to the temperature throttle. I need help plz save me ;*

Reactions: Kenmitch

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
100C should be the throttle temp. 90 is too high but it will not throttle at 90.

Try running the XTU stress test with all the graphs on and see what it reports.

Th3Sentinel

Jan 4, 2019
100C should be the throttle temp. 90 is too high but it will not throttle at 90.

Try running the XTU stress test with all the graphs on and see what it reports.
Now thats weird. The temps didnt go high highest was around 70 degrees on 1 core. No throttle at all. After 10 min of stress test. But the voltage went towards 1.4 and the highest clock was 4.6 never went towards 4.9. I dont know anymore.. ;p

Pic from the stress test in the attached file.

Attachments

• XTU.png
    XTU.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 4

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
You will never see 4.9 in any CPU benchmarks, cause they use all cores. the XTU sounds good but here a few things.
1) your using a Z370 and not Z390 so make sure you have newest bios installed (probably stay away from beta ones).
2) As others have posted if the voltage is still 1.4v you need to get that down with an offset value.
3) the board has power values that can kick in when it reaches 95w, I forget the names but its in the bios a few power values (you're probably hitting them with 1.4v)
4) with regard to gaming temps, that case might be restricting front fans and if you added fans don't add in the top front one to exhaust, as that will bypass air going to back.

Th3Sentinel

Jan 4, 2019
You will never see 4.9 in any CPU benchmarks, cause they use all cores. the XTU sounds good but here a few things.
1) your using a Z370 and not Z390 so make sure you have newest bios installed (probably stay away from beta ones).
2) As others have posted if the voltage is still 1.4v you need to get that down with an offset value.
3) the board has power values that can kick in when it reaches 95w, I forget the names but its in the bios a few power values (you're probably hitting them with 1.4v)
4) with regard to gaming temps, that case might be restricting front fans and if you added fans don't add in the top front one to exhaust, as that will bypass air going to back.

Okay that solves that question ty for your answear ! :)
1.Bios is up to date, newest version F11.
2. Im looking into it .
3. So youre suggesting to move the power values so it can draw more power?
4. I got 2 fans in the front, two in the top and 1 in the back. So i guess it should be fine?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Th3Sentinel if you want to try seeing how high your CPU will run in single-core, I think you can configure Prime95 to only one run thread. Or you can go old-school and run SuperPi 1.5 mod XS which is single-threaded. Or y-cruncher single-thread (it does have that option). But yeah @Ed1 is right, you will not sustain max boost clocks in a CPU benchmark.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
Okay that solves that question ty for your answear ! :)
1.Bios is up to date, newest version F11.
2. Im looking into it .
3. So youre suggesting to move the power values so it can draw more power?
4. I got 2 fans in the front, two in the top and 1 in the back. So i guess it should be fine?
Ok, so if you are updated, I would just check other forums (Gigabyte be best) to see if you're alone. If not try a -75-100mv offset.
One thing you may run into with high offset is low idle voltages, but I think that will depend on LLC defaults.
I don't think you will need to raise power limits once you get Vcore in check (1.25-1.3v).
On the case, fans try disable the front top one (just pull the plug) and retest gaming.
You don't want an exhaust fan before the CPU fan. what happens is airflow comes in the front and then gets exhausted out that top fan before the air gets to back to cool CPU and GPU.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
@Th3Sentinel if you want to try seeing how high your CPU will run in single-core, I think you can configure Prime95 to only one run thread. Or you can go old-school and run SuperPi 1.5 mod XS which is single-threaded. Or y-cruncher single-thread (it does have that option). But yeah @Ed1 is right, you will not sustain max boost clocks in a CPU benchmark.
You would think that would work but it doesn't. Setting prime95 to one thread doesn't give you one core load, windows just distribute it across all cores.
here an example a 4 core set to these multipliers 46x, 45x, 44x, 43x. Now run prime95 with one thread load and I get 43x (4300), the same thing with SuperPi.(4400)
What you can do is set process affinity to one core on either and the same test should give higher clocks.
I just tried that and got 4500-4600, it would not stay steady 4600 in SuperPi, prime95 was worse even with affinity on one core.

I have done staggered multipliers before and to see the high one you need like 2 cores set high, or you see the second active value.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
Hmm interesting, it should hit 1c boost clocks even if the thread skips around.
Ok, this is interesting, I set HWinfo64 refresh to 500ms and with 46x, 45x, 45x 45x I am seeing superPi hit like 30% at 4600 if I set affinity to core 0 but w/o affinity I get 4500. tried 250ms and same but I do see 4600 while idling at the desktop for split seconds.
I guess we see how OP works with 8 logical cores.

Th3Sentinel

Jan 4, 2019
Little update.
Went down with the voltage -0.140 so far trying to go down little lower so we'll see. Ran prime95, highest its been is 1.390 on 1 core roughly 1.35 on the others.
Temps went up to 98 degrees though im slowly getting pissed :) il give you guys an update once im on the lowest voltage the system will boot.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
Little update.
Went down with the voltage -0.140 so far trying to go down little lower so we'll see. Ran prime95, highest its been is 1.390 on 1 core roughly 1.35 on the others.
Temps went up to 98 degrees though im slowly getting pissed :) il give you guys an update once im on the lowest voltage the system will boot.
What is your idle voltage at the desktop, maybe 10 min after boot (wait for windows to settle down)

Have you messed more with bios, it might be an LLC issue.
Also, check the bios good, I am not a fan of there setup, but check the CPU upgrade section, even if auto look at dropdown and see if your CPU is listed "w/o" OC ones (you may find it picked some CPU@5.0+ with high Vcore OC). I ran into this with another Gigabyte Z370 gaming MB with a 8700k, along with might try to disable "enhanced multi-core performance"

Last edited:

Th3Sentinel

Jan 4, 2019
What is your idle voltage at the desktop, maybe 10 min after boot (wait for windows to settle down)

Have you messed more with bios, it might be an LLC issue.
Havent touched LLC yet gonna get the lowest vcore offest i can in bios for it to be stable then ill mess with it.
in idle its roughly from 1.21-1.33 depends on the core.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
Havent touched LLC yet gonna get the lowest vcore offest i can in bios for it to be stable then ill mess with it.
in idle its roughly from 1.21-1.33 depends on the core.
Ok, looking at your previous posts I don't think your offset voltage values are sticking cause if we add 0.140 to your last load values 1.390, you would originally have 1. 53v.
I would check bios good for any OC profiles that might be enabled. with those idle voltages, it be better to just manual voltage to like 1.250-1.280 and set all cores to 4.5-4.6 or something.

Th3Sentinel

Jan 4, 2019
Ok, looking at your previous posts I don't think your offset voltage values are sticking cause if we add 0.140 to your last load values 1.390, you would originally have 1. 53v.
I would check bios good for any OC profiles that might be enabled. with those idle voltages, it be better to just manual voltage to like 1.250-1.280 and set all cores to 4.5-4.6 or something.
No oc profiles are enabled since its a 8th gen board i cant really load a preset oc profile for 9700k since there are only 8th gen profiles there. So no OC enabled.

I might try that sure but i dont want to lose that 4.9 ghz on turbo on that single thread.
After all that playing around in the bios nothing seemed to be working so I loaded optimal bios settings so back to default and hit the stress test cause 1 guy wanted my hwinfo64 readings. Hit 100 degrees and pc crashed. Think im gonna go to the store where i built my pc on monday morning and tell them whats up cuz this is just not right.
Thanks everyone for your time if you have any suggestions im still willing to check them out but im slowly giving up ..:)

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
No oc profiles are enabled since its a 8th gen board i cant really load a preset oc profile for 9700k since there are only 8th gen profiles there. So no OC enabled.

I might try that sure but i dont want to lose that 4.9 ghz on turbo on that single thread.
After all that playing around in the bios nothing seemed to be working so I loaded optimal bios settings so back to default and hit the stress test cause 1 guy wanted my hwinfo64 readings. Hit 100 degrees and pc crashed. Think im gonna go to the store where i built my pc on monday morning and tell them whats up cuz this is just not right.
Thanks everyone for your time if you have any suggestions im still willing to check them out but im slowly giving up ..:)
Even though they claim 9th gen support in F10 bios, IMO see if you can get Z390, I am pretty sure it will work better.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Ok, this is interesting, I set HWinfo64 refresh to 500ms and with 46x, 45x, 45x 45x I am seeing superPi hit like 30% at 4600 if I set affinity to core 0 but w/o affinity I get 4500. tried 250ms and same but I do see 4600 while idling at the desktop for split seconds.
I guess we see how OP works with 8 logical cores.

Interesting. I wonder if Process Lasso would do any better here. Probably not.