Question I7 9700k high temps and voltage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Th3Sentinel

Jan 4, 2019
Hello everyone. I've just bulit a new pc, been waiting for it for a long time and I came up with some issues with it.
PC: I7 9700k
Noctua NH-U14S
Case : Silentium PC Armis Ar7 with 2 additional fans
Gigabite Aorus z370 k3 gaming
16 GB of Corsair Vengence 3000 Mhz Ram
Gtx 1070 from EVGA

1.First thing I noticed is that temps were high in idle. In high 30 low 40s. But it was idle I didn't mind. But when I started playing I noticed after some time that my frame rate dropped from having 300 fps in csgo down to like 150. I thought to myself that can't be right so I checked and the temps were in the high 80s some cores were at 90°C. That's not good. Turned all the fans to max rmp so it's better but still very high.

2. I noticed that my voltages are high while I was trying to figure our what's the issue. I'm getting roughly 1.45V. What the hell ? I checked online and I should be getting around 1.25-1.3 So that's probably the issue of my heat. Tried to lower Load line calibration In bios but I wouldn't let me so I found it in a motherboard software app that let me change it from high to medium or sth like that It wasn't really precise. Didnt help though

3.So my question is: is it motherboards fault for giving too high voltage? Is it my bad cooler and should I just go liquid ? Or am I just unlucky on the silicon lottery and I have a ****** cpu? Ps; I'm pretty sure that the 9th gen i7 should hit 4.9 ghz at least on 1 core right? The highest I've seen mine go was 4.7 which I think is due to the temperature throttle. I need help plz save me ;*

Reactions: Kenmitch

Pollo

Aug 12, 2019
Since i don't see a reall fix in this thread im hoping my experience might help someone. I use a z390 motherboard with i7 9700k. Was running idle around 40 degrees but this go to 100 degrees really fast after i would start a game. Turned out my bios settings had the turbo enabled (it was on auto on motherboard) and it was running on 4.2 ghz instead of 3.6 ghz. After turning of the turbo the idle temp hasn't really gone down but the max temp has not been above 70 for any game i throw at it.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Since i don't see a reall fix in this thread im hoping my experience might help someone. I use a z390 motherboard with i7 9700k. Was running idle around 40 degrees but this go to 100 degrees really fast after i would start a game. Turned out my bios settings had the turbo enabled (it was on auto on motherboard) and it was running on 4.2 ghz instead of 3.6 ghz. After turning of the turbo the idle temp hasn't really gone down but the max temp has not been above 70 for any game i throw at it.
Thanks for reporting back on the info. I wonder if the MB is calling for phantom cores (HT) that exist in i9 9900k but not in i7 9700k.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
What is your cooler? Doesnt seem like a 9700k should go to 100 deg in gaming at only 4.2 ghz. Maybe with prime 95 or something, but not gaming. Are you running other programs while gaming?