i7-4790k stock CPU fan replacement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Any Air cooler will not even approach a Corsair AIO H110.

Not true -- unless you're talking about totally-stock deployment of the cooler. We compared our numbers months ago. My NH-D14 could only keep up with your H110, and I had to build a duct for it and use an uncommonly beefy fan.

But I found another air-cooler that beats the D14 by 6C degrees in a comparison of conventional stock deployments. The benchmarks in the reviews proved it; I replicated their proof. Put it another way, though.

Those benchmark differences fairly well translate into comparisons of "enhanced" cooler configurations that are identical between the two coolers being compared. If I could improve the D14's performance by 6+C with just the "mods" -- ducting -- fan-choices, and if my current cooler offers 6C improvement in the review benchmarks, than I score a 12C improvement overall above the stock D14 installation.

And I can measure it. I can also understand why you water-cooled your graphics cards: air-cooled graphics throws off any comparison. I put a second graphics card into my system, and load temperatures on the CPU increase by 4 to 5C, even as the cards aren't being stressed themselves. So with that aspect thrown into the mix, comparisons can be less accurate. Either less accurate or more troublesome.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
If your so intent you can keep your noisy CPU Air Coolers - Been there done it and say for the money the Corsair H110 is by far the best CPU Cooler I've ever used.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I've run a Corsair H110 for 2.5 years with a an i7 2700k running at 4.8G's 24/7 occasionally clocked to 5.2G's. She idles at 34C peeking at 68C under full load and quiet in a Fractal Midi R2 Case.

Absolutely no issues with it and left it alone considering I also run 2 290X's in CF with XSPC WB's in a separate loop where I could easily incorporate the CPU but there's no need.

I stress the Corsair H110 and not that crappy H100i.
Well, I run an H110 myself, and even though I did have to change the fans (one of the stockers was making a funny noise at certain RPMs) I am very happy with how it handles my CPU cooling needs. But neither of our stories constitutes any kind of proof that is required for the sort of blunt statement that you made. Third-party graphs, that sort of thing. That's what is required.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Just how blunt do you think I'm am:

I run 5 x's 140 Noctua fans one through the case and 4 in push/pull through a 280x60x140mm rad for my CF 290X's. I've never had issues with the stock 140mm Corsair H110 fans - May be I'm lucky but then I could always mount Noctua's on the H110 AIO Rad if need be.

As I said, 2.5 years running an i7 2700k at 4.8G's 24/7 without a hiccup of that Corsair H110 Idling the CPU at 34C and topping out at 68C under full stress and above all QUIET. Yes I use the a BIOS Fan Profile and does meke some noise over 50C but definitely less then any Air Cooled System and cools significantly better.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
No reason anyone should be other than happy with their H110 or other AiO coolers. And you could deduce that the heatpipe-cooler solution would be noisier if attempting to "keep up." I just chose to address the cooling performance as first priority, and the noise as an ancillary project.

A lot of people are going to look at heatpipes versus AiOs according to "ease of installation" and use. They won't plan on building a duct box and wrapping it in four layers of acoustic foam-rubber so they can run the fan part of the solution at 3,600 RPM -- and you still have to accommodate the white-noise from air turbulence. But in all the gaming situations I've encountered, neither my CPU nor my 2x GTX-970s provoke fan noise of any significant amount. Stress-testing -- that's another thing: it pushes the thermal power to the limit where it would otherwise seldom go. The four layers of acoustic foam-rubber still kills everything but what you'd expect from a room AC vent.

In fact, the OP suggests what "a lot of people" are looking for. He doesn't want to bother much with the trouble some of us go through. But for the 212 EVO, I wouldn't say that's a lot of trouble -- compared to that which I've taken.

I said this months ago -- somewhere . . . here. The AiO makers have constraints: the coolers have to fit a wide variety of cases in order to sell. Cooling will depend on radiator size; radiator size impacts case choices. So within that limitation -- yes -- the AiOs will perform better. And every year, they seem to improve by some increment: take for instance this Swiftech H240X. A lot of extra things can be done with the Swiftech, but it's only going to fit in a range of cases one way. Most of those deployments will be at the top of the case.

I am not all that optimistic that heatpipe-makers will "keep up" with AiO performance, and in fact -- they haven't -- if you compare the apples-to-apples of completely stock installation. So I'm in the odd position that my computer is OC'd as far as I want to take it with ANY cooling option, it all runs just great, it's quiet -- and I have less incentive to spend more money on WC. I still plan to do that -- but I have no reason to hurry.

Another member's project was especially interesting to me: WGusler's H80i with a ducting mod -- in a rather compact midtower case. (Corsair C70?) Pretty good, for an i7-4790K system.

Last edited:

crockman

May 15, 2005
I just built a new PC a few days ago. I as well wanted something a bit better then stock HS/F for non-OC purposes.

i-7-4790k CPU, ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB, Corsair Carbide 300R Case.

I purchased the Arctic Alpine 11-Plus for this new PC.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186070

The 11-Plus keeps the 4790k at 30 to 35C (as checked in BIOS) at Idle. Have not checked any under Load temps as of yet. It's as well Very Quiet, Not Bad for a $10 HS/F.

Considering the Stock Fan kept the 4790k at 65C at Idle, that's quite a difference. I don't think the Stock one was snug enough to the CPU.

The 11-plus requires no back plate nor MB removal and is quite easy to install. As well comes with pre-applied Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste and has a 6-year warranty from Arctic.

sammykhalifa

Dec 26, 2014
I just built a new PC with this processor, too--first new compy in 7 years.

I picked up the "new" (revision?) Xigmatek Dark Knight II.

http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=249

For what it's worth it's my first experience with any kind of aftermarket cooler whatsoever--this installation was dead simple for me though (although I'm a natural self-doubter and wonder how well I applied the paste).

I did have some issues the first time I tested, researched and discovered that there were some changes in voltages settings I had to make with my motherboard:

https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23517

Made the changes on my ud3h and everything seems ok so far. Haven't done a full stress test, but at idle my temps range between 17-25. Yes, I keep it cold in here. :)

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
thx, but it looks complicated to install judging from the reviews i have read.

something easier?

dont upgrade... if the hyper 212 seems complicated to install, 65% of all the upgrade heat sinks are going to be just as complicated, and 30% of the rest a complete nightmare...

The 5% i wouldn't consider a upgrade, but a slightly elevated side grade....

Last edited:

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
Yes i want to replace the stock fan for this cpu with something a little better. :confused:I don't want to put anything liquid so it will have to be air only. I need some suggestions as to what to get. thx. :)

So finally after all the fiddling around for my core2duo I ordered a rosewill RCX-Z90-CP fan. it was easy to install, the clips snapped right into place and the CPU temps were lowered by 5-8 Celsius. even during a stress test the temps varied hardly at all. This fan is a winner if only to provide an inexpensive alternative to the stock useless fan.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
So finally after all the fiddling around for my core2duo I ordered a rosewill RCX-Z90-CP fan. it was easy to install, the clips snapped right into place and the CPU temps were lowered by 5-8 Celsius. even during a stress test the temps varied hardly at all. This fan is a winner if only to provide an inexpensive alternative to the stock useless fan.

:confused:
"Core2duo"?? I thought you were attempting to cool an i7-4790K . . .

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
:confused:
"Core2duo"?? I thought you were attempting to cool an i7-4790K . . .
My bad for the confusion...my other computer had a bad cooling fan and i bought this one for that computer which is a core2dua and not the quadcore. My bad...:oops:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
My bad for the confusion...my other computer had a bad cooling fan and i bought this one for that computer which is a core2dua and not the quadcore. My bad...:oops:

No problem -- I was just confused.

There are at least a few prescriptions for a 4790K system. Z15CAM has promoted the AiO coolers, and that's a good choice if you can fit one into your case without any problem. One forum member I mentioned earlier had "hybridized" his single-fan AiO H80i cooler with ducting and a pressurized case: his maximum load stock-clocked i7-4790K peaked at 60C -- which I thought to be an amazing result.

You can also get AiO performance out of at least a few top-performing heatpipe coolers. But you would need to "tweak" your cooling strategy -- perhaps with an accordion "rubber-duct-ty". Maybe use ICD or CLU TIM, and optionally -- lap both the IHS and heatsink-base to bare copper.

WGusler -- with the H80i mod -- used a Noctua 2,000 RPM iPPC fan. I choose beefier units -- recently deployed the 3,000 RPM model. But both WGusler and I also configure motherboard thermal-fan-control. If either of our Noctua fans reaches peak RPMs and therefore dBA levels, it is only under severe stress-test. For my part, I wrapped a home-made foam-board duct in four layers of Spire acoustic foam-rubber. What's left after that is just air-turbulence -- white noise -- under (really) extreme stress-test with temperatures in the low 70's C.

I just think the aversion to air-cooling with heatpipes and beefier fans is unnecessary. You'll get fan noise with AiO's or custom-water cooling. With the right fan and only PERHAPS some investment in either DIY duct, TR accordion duct and an $8 box of Spire pads, you can run the fan at full-bore with no more noise than you'd have with a water-cooling setup -- provided the WC configurations reach those temperatures at full "IBT-maximum" CPU load. Whatever white-noise is evidenced at those levels, it is both minor -- and never, ever likely to occur in real-world usage.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
For the $17+ pricetag, that's likely the better choice for over some of the stock-cooler-clones I've seen, but it may likely not fit an LGA_775 board.

I'm in sort of an opposite dilemma for an unused OCZ Vendetta cooler I found in my parts-locker the other day. It, too, has the push-pin solution alternative to backplate installation. But it was originally made to fit LGA-775, and we're decommissioning our old C2D Wolfdale systems, so . . .

As for the Raijintek. That's a limpo fan with limpo airflow. It's GOING to WORK -- don't get me wrong. But I'm the Fan-Man Lou Reed for a "Walk on the Wild Side" with beefier, more expensive cooler fans. If I were using the RaijinTek (and "I" am not "YOU") -- I'd slap a Noctua iPPC or Akasa Viper fan on that sucker. But then -- I'd only do that if the cooling potential of the Raijintek would really improve with another 40 to 70 (rated) CFM or higher static pressure.

Looks good to me, for the OP's original interest! Can't complain about the price. For potential complaints, I just . . . wouldn't . . . know . . for sure. . .