i7-4790k stock CPU fan replacement

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
Yes i want to replace the stock fan for this cpu with something a little better. :confused:I don't want to put anything liquid so it will have to be air only. I need some suggestions as to what to get. thx. :)

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Cooler Master hyper 212 evo is reasonable and cools very well especially if you add a second fan to put it in a push pull configuration.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What's your budget? Do you care about noise? Need some criteria as there are dozens of options here.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
Cooler Master hyper 212 evo is reasonable and cools very well especially if you add a second fan to put it in a push pull configuration.
thx, but it looks complicated to install judging from the reviews i have read. I was looking for something simpler but better than the stock fan which cannot keep the temps down very well. I used the intel cpu diagnostic tools and during the last test the stress test the cpu temp hit 85C.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
What's your budget? Do you care about noise? Need some criteria as there are dozens of options here.
yes i do not want a lot of noise, i want a fan that will cool properly and for the budget it depends. I discovered the well documented problem with the stock cooler, it does a poor job of holding down the temperatures. could be many factors causing this, poor air draw by the fan, inadequate thermal compound and possibly inadequate fins to do the job.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The chip doesn't throttle until you hit 100, so I wouldn't worry about temps unless you want something quieter or you want to overckock.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The Alpine 11 Pro by Arctic Cooling would do a little better than the stock unit, and would not require mobo removal. You will get better results with a model that uses its own mounting bracket.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
The Alpine 11 Pro by Arctic Cooling would do a little better than the stock unit, and would not require mobo removal. You will get better results with a model that uses its own mounting bracket.
Looks good i am going to try this heatsink. Thx ketchup!

Last edited:

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
i just realized this may not fit onto the mobo. the stock fan is 90mm and this one is 113 x 105 mm. the mobo is an asus z97-a

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I am looking at pics of both and don't see a problem, but you have the board. As I stated earlier, you are going to get much better results with a unit using its own mounting system, and clearance will not be a problem.

Last edited:

C2bcool

Apr 13, 2012
thx, but it looks complicated to install judging from the reviews i have read. I was looking for something simpler but better than the stock fan which cannot keep the temps down very well. I used the intel cpu diagnostic tools and during the last test the stress test the cpu temp hit 85C.

212 evo is not hard to install at all (and I have big hands). I've installed one at least 4 times. Takes about 5 minutes. There are some great youtube install tutuorial videos you can watch. I was honestly surprised the 1st computer I built I got it installed so quick (on the 1st try) and temps were on point.

Last edited:

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
212 evo is not hard to install at all (and I have big hands)

^^THIS^^

I just installed 2x of the 212's the other day on 2 different systems, nottaproblemo.....5 mins, maybe 7 tops.....but I was assembling a system from scratch though, so I had unfettered access to the underside of the mobo.....

You just gotta make sure the clearance between the mobo and the case is sufficient to clear it (+160mm)

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
well I received the CPU heatsink, arctic cooler model 11 pro and to say that it seems flimsy is accurate. Before installing this I plan to try the stock heatsink with som noctua heatsink material to see if there is a difference.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Let us know how it goes. I would also be curious to hear about the difference here.

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
you could also look around for a larger fan to mount onto the stock heatsink . Some , or most , just screw into the sink .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I think Philly Cheese's observation is a good one here.

There are some few ways you can "mod" or augment the stock heatsink, and you could even rig a bigger fan, but it wouldn't be that effective for the work involved. For a Devils Canyon processor, though, I wouldn't just replace the stock HSF with something like the Rosewill device: even for ease of installation, the payback wouldn't seem worth it.

At minimum, I go with the others on this to suggest something like the 212 EVO. But any decent heatpipe tower still involves installation of a backplate, and possible (likely) removal of the motherboard to do it.

It's otherwise pretty easy. Always easier if you make the installation at the time you install the motherboard the first time. Within just the last week, for building a 3570K system, I installed a spare 212 EVO with some diamond paste. "Set it and fahget about it."

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Something that is often overlooked is a case that has a windowed motherboard tray to allow access to the backside of the heatsink mounting area. If you don't have that, any quality HSF installation will necessitate removal of the motherboard, that is beyond question or discussion. The Lian Li open air case that I used to think was so awesome is just another one of those units that does not easily allow access from below the motherboard. But I pull the mobo anyway when different cooling solutions are desired, because that's just what wacky enthusiasts do.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Good air coolers have proven themselves the equal of AIO solutions, so, no, not really.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
I've run a Corsair H110 for 2.5 years with a an i7 2700k running at 4.8G's 24/7 occasionally clocked to 5.2G's. She idles at 34C peeking at 68C under full load and quiet in a Fractal Midi R2 Case.

Absolutely no issues with it and left it alone considering I also run 2 290X's in CF with XSPC WB's in a separate loop where I could easily incorporate the CPU but there's no need.

I stress the Corsair H110 and not that crappy H100i.