i5 or amd hexacore??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
In the States, the price difference between the FX-4300 and FX-6300 makes getting the quad a bad idea, and I'd rather have an i3 than the 4300 in general.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
In the States, the price difference between the FX-4300 and FX-6300 makes getting the quad a bad idea, and I'd rather have an i3 than the 4300 in general.

I think you are right, the i3 is by far the most efficient, uses less power, ST performance looks better, more consistent... the 6300 is a clear winner in terms of MT performance... the 4300 doesn't seem to be more attractive than the others in many areas?

sarthakyadav

Oct 17, 2012
i wanted to say that i can clearly afford an i5..no problem with that...
and from above discussion i believe i5 is it...so thanx for help people...and plz tell....i5 2500 or i5 3450?

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
i hav a gtx550 ti and i will b gaming at 1366x768 reso....so i don thik it will be a prob

so, your main use is gaming?

anyway, if you can buy the i5... it's clearly the fastest CPU for gaming (compared to the FX)... if it's worth the price difference, specially with the 550 TI... I don't know... if you play SC2 and other CPU bound games, it might be,

sarthakyadav

Oct 17, 2012
so, your main use is gaming?

anyway, if you can buy the i5... it's clearly the fastest CPU for gaming (compared to the FX)... if it's worth the price difference, specially with the 550 TI... I don't know... if you play SC2 and other CPU bound games, it might be,

hmmmm...thanx mate....i really am in favour of intel dis time around....in india intel rules...and the service and support for amd at my place is bad too....my frnd had to get his mobo replaced within few days of usage,and it took 2 months for the replacemnt to arrive..on the other hand it took only 2weeks for another frnd having intel...so yeaah...i ll be getting i5

BLaber

Jun 23, 2008
hmmmm...thanx mate....i really am in favour of intel dis time around....in india intel rules...and the service and support for amd at my place is bad too....my frnd had to get his mobo replaced within few days of usage,and it took 2 months for the replacemnt to arrive..on the other hand it took only 2weeks for another frnd having intel...so yeaah...i ll be getting i5

Motherboards faults in India are serviced by service centers associated with Distributors of particular motherboard brand NOT BY AMD or INTEL !

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
dude the problem is i currently have just the amd athlon x2 5200+...so u can imagine the bottleneck i have(yeah yeah i know,a biggie)...and i bought the gtx 550ti a few days back...starting of october...so no gpu change..n i am gonna play at a res of 1366x768...so i really think i dont need a better gpu than i already have to play all games maxed out...isn it..
and to others..either i get amd or i5,i will have to get everything brand new...including ram...thats y i am eyeing a gud cpu...

Ok, thanks for clearing things up. Intel may cost a little more, but would be worth it in the long run, IMO. 8 GB of RAM is the way to go, especially since it as almost as cheap as dirt, at least over here.

sarthakyadav

Oct 17, 2012
Motherboards faults in India are serviced by service centers associated with Distributors of particular motherboard brand NOT BY AMD or INTEL !

dude i know that okay...i know who services the hardware..intel aint gonn asend a representative to repair my board!!!

and from wat i wrote i meant to say that amd hardware is not as abundantly available...and as a result service and support is slow for amd products...so thumps down to u!!!:thumbsdown:

BLaber

Jun 23, 2008
dude i know that okay...i know who services the hardware..intel aint gonn asend a representative to repair my board!!!

and from wat i wrote i meant to say that amd hardware is not as abundantly available...and as a result service and support is slow for amd products...so thumps down to u!!!:thumbsdown:

Cool story bro, I stay in Bangalore & I don't see any such issues here.

care to provide proof of above ?

sarthakyadav

Oct 17, 2012
Cool story bro, I stay in Bangalore & I don't see any such issues here.

care to provide proof of above ?

take it easy...baglore is the it hub of india...there wont be any kind o prob there,regarding hardware shortages..
i live in meerut,u.p.,
supplies arent direct,always channelled through some sources in delhi,lucknow etc...
and the rest i think i don need to tell...there aint as big a pc market here..and u as well as every techno freak in india knows dat for computers and stuff,mumbai,delhi or banglore is the place to be...

Hatisherrif

May 10, 2009
If you really don't want to change your graphics card (which I would strongly advise you to do), then by all means get the i5. Otherwise, consider getting a GTX 650 Ti + an FX-6300 and a cheap motherboard. Something along these lines:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130839

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=fx%206300

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138345

Selling your old card could get you around 70 bucks, and with that money this fits into your budget of ~$280. I think this is the way to go for your light gaming at that resolution (nothing will lag). At lower resolutions the difference would be particularly noticeable, at least according to this AnandTech article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6359/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-review

Otherwise, if you are not willing to change your card right away, take the i5 and be happy. It will drastically increase your performance in strategies and simulation games (but not so much in shooters). But, considering the fact your card is already a big bottleneck, I am not sure how the i5 would help up the performance a great deal.

Cheers.

sarthakyadav

Oct 17, 2012
If you really don't want to change your graphics card (which I would strongly advise you to do), then by all means get the i5. Otherwise, consider getting a GTX 650 Ti + an FX-6300 and a cheap motherboard. Something along these lines:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130839

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=fx%206300

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138345

Selling your old card could get you around 70 bucks, and with that money this fits into your budget of ~$280. I think this is the way to go for your light gaming at that resolution (nothing will lag). At lower resolutions the difference would be particularly noticeable, at least according to this AnandTech article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6359/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-review

Otherwise, if you are not willing to change your card right away, take the i5 and be happy. It will drastically increase your performance in strategies and simulation games (but not so much in shooters). But, considering the fact your card is already a big bottleneck, I am not sure how the i5 would help up the performance a great deal.

Cheers.

thanx for the links but i live in india...newegg doenst ship here..
and dude my card aint a bottleneck..my cpu is...athlon x2 5200+....and i cant change to gtx 650ti..i recently bought 550 ti...

anyways thanx

Hatisherrif

May 10, 2009
My apologies, I wasn't meaning to say that your 550 Ti is bottlenecking your current CPU, but that it would bottleneck an i5 quite a lot. And the Newegg links are just for reference, I know that you're not from the states and I'm not either.

Either way, if you cannot change your card now, go for the i5. Best of luck.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Why do you actually want to upgrade? At that resolution and with that GPU you would probably be ok even with an old core2 duo dual core.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Why do you actually want to upgrade? At that resolution and with that GPU you would probably be ok even with an old core2 duo dual core.

Athlon 64 X2 is clearly slower than a Core 2 duo...

also, in low res/settings the GTX 550 Ti will not bottleneck the i5 in CPU bound games/situations.

sarthakyadav

Oct 17, 2012
Athlon 64 X2 is clearly slower than a Core 2 duo...

also, in low res/settings the GTX 550 Ti will not bottleneck the i5 in CPU bound games/situations.
yes sir u said right....athlon x2 is a goddarn slow cpu...it takes forever to decompress rar archives copy larger files...the thing is i currently just want a processor dat would play all games maxed out(crysis 2,dirt3,etc)at my reso with my gtx 550ti..and i am on a hairline budget..u know saving money aint bad when u hav performance u cant distinguish between..and jst dat i want my system to work gud till next 2 years..after that out goes my oldie and no doubt i will buy an intel solid rig....

and one more thing..i3 beats fx 6100(non o.c) in gaming benches..but i know currently most games are meant for dual cores...and no doubt games are gonna come(infact they are arriving-batman arkham city,sleeping dogs,and battlefield 3) that depend more on multi threaded performance of the cpu(intel beat amd in single threaded performance handsdown i agree)... so a multi core cpu is a must..am i right??

the thing is i dont wanna put in money for next year or two in order to save for an even better rig and i5 being so expensive quad...i am stuck...