i5 2500k won't overclock properly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think going with the H100 would be a good choice. Should make your rig nice and clean looking....With proper cable management of course :)

fishingcat

Feb 26, 2010
I think going with the H100 would be a good choice. Should make your rig nice and clean looking....With proper cable management of course

Thanks for all your help. It's nice to be able to finally have decent cable management with this new case, although my non-modular PSU does make the side panel bulge slightly.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Nope, I have a really shitty chip.

Guess temps can play a part with vcore and stability. Maybe once you pick up the H100 you'll be able to drop vcore or up the over clock. I think Idontcare's delid thread shows his results on temps and vcore results.

I might just put my rig in garage tonight and try a chilled water over clock session in the AM.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Get anywhere with your chilled overclocking?

I fell asleep before I had a chance to move it to the garage :(

Moved it out this AM and let it sit for a while and topped off the water. I was trying to see if it would boot at 57x but I think my chip tops out just a little bit above 5.6ghz. No go at 57x, 58x and didn't wanna crank the voltages as I'm not sure my motherboard would live up to the task. Was kinda hoping the cooler temps would give it a shot at lower voltage.

Playing around with 5ghz currently tho. Chip does 5ghz on water pretty easily for the most part.

Running Intel Burn Test....Look at those crazy temps :)

5ghz_zps64284545.png

Not sure how accurate the idle temps are. I have C3/C6 disabled and it idles at 1.6ghz @ 1.024v's. Garage is most likely just as cool as outside as it's tile roof with no insulation. Currently around 40*F here today.

Kinda roughly base water temp by my GPU temp as it idles for the most part. I'm sure water is cooler by a little bit at least tho. It's of more use I guess to see how much the water temp rises during a stress test run.

Last edited:

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Nope, I have a really shitty chip.

Sounds like a first world problem. :whiste:

I had a chip that required around 1.42v or so to hit 4.5GHz. I think around 4.3-4.4GHz it started needing a bunch more voltage. I thought it was great that I was getting 1GHz+ overclocks.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
FWIW, I wasn't very happy with the 212+ on my 2500K, I bought another (identical) fan and ran it as a dual setup but it may have only had a 1-2C difference.

Last week I used duct and black electrical tape to seal the edges around the fans... there is a huge gap between the fans and the actual heat exchanger on the 212+, I really think it blows more air out the sides than it does through the fins of the exchanger. As it turned out, my temps dropped 5-6C with the new taped-up push-pull fan setup (in LinX testing.) It's not very pretty, but it's working for me until I can upgrade the cooling or replace the CPU/mobo altogether.

Just food for thought...