I was surprised with a cruise this week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moab

Jan 10, 2004
Hands down the best Cozumel excursion:

http://www.cozumelsailing.com/adventure.html

Small boat with only a handful of people on it, snorkeling, open bar, fresh cooked food by the captain either made with fish they catch during the trip or if not meat they take with them, spinnaker rides (which is sort of like a lower to the ground parasailing thing) and then they drop you off on an undeveloped beach for an hour or so with a cooler of beer and let you putz around there in the water and sand.

Super worth it.

BrianP

Oct 12, 1999
burn.jpg

I just spent 30 days on that ship. I knew about the fire but have never seen pics.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Life isn't a TV commercial. For all you know, they're both teachers at the same pay step and have enough cash to pay for it outright. In the end, one can only feel bad for you.

Well my point was a "surprise cruise" is a strange way to put it. That usually entails a contest winner, or an anniversary gift from family, etc. Good surprises to me don't usually entail me forking over a ton of money - and maybe the OP is not.

Now if the thread title was "I'm going on another cruise with my wife!" that's a whole other story. Romantic vacations with the s/o are great, surprise $4000 expenditures are not.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
And if the fire doesn't get you, the water will!

Wilstar_FreakWave_Damage.jpg

And if not the water, when the captain docks!

norweigian-dream-bow.jpg

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It is not 4000, it was 1200 dollars for two adults and two kids. And yes it was a surprise, I had no idea.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Out of New Orleans to Progreso and Cozumel. Last time we went to Cozumel we rented a Jeep and toured the whole island, so I am not sure what we will do this time. I really want to go on the Atlantis submarine.

We did the submarine in Grand Cayman. It was okay. Pretty expensive (around $100 each). I'd recommend not going at night time.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well my point was a "surprise cruise" is a strange way to put it. That usually entails a contest winner, or an anniversary gift from family, etc. Good surprises to me don't usually entail me forking over a ton of money - and maybe the OP is not.

Now if the thread title was "I'm going on another cruise with my wife!" that's a whole other story. Romantic vacations with the s/o are great, surprise $4000 expenditures are not.

get off his god damn nuts, it was a surprise gift from his wife.

you sound like a fun guy.

also OP, i went on a submarine in Maui. it was pretty expensive and went down like 120 feet. it was okay but it is definitely something we will not do again. i'm pretty sure it was an atlantis submarine actually.

23ifole.jpg

f9jbwn.jpg

5vsiz5.jpg

Last edited:

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
And she decided this will be our Christmas/anniversary gifts to each other since our anniversary is on the 28th of December.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I want to go cruising on the SS Rubycon...or at least on her ship.:biggrin:

I'd bet her tour of the boat would be MUCH more interesting than the usual "run of the mill" boat tour.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
get off his god damn nuts, it was a surprise gift from his wife.

you sound like a fun guy.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize people only posted things in a public forum to have their egos stroked.

If the OP is happy, then he shouldn't care one bit if I have a different opinion on the matter. The comment wasn't a stab at the OP, it was an observation with my personal thought on the matter. Different strokes, different folks.

So fuck off.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
also OP, i went on a submarine in Maui. it was pretty expensive and went down like 120 feet. it was okay but it is definitely something we will not do again. i'm pretty sure it was an atlantis submarine actually.

23ifole.jpg

f9jbwn.jpg

5vsiz5.jpg

We did the Atlantis sub in Maui about 10 years ago. It was ok, but IMO, nothing spectacular.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
am i the only one that don't like cruise? i went to the first one, ate like crazy. i prefer not to do cruise again

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
am i the only one that don't like cruise? i went to the first one, ate like crazy. i prefer not to do cruise again

no you arnt, im not really a fan. id much rather just fly someplace for a week or so and do what i want and they fly back. Which i actually just did, 10 Days in the caribbean FTW

moks78

Lifer
Jan 5, 2001
Nice!

Cruising...too much food, a problem for some but not to all. :)

Went on a Bahamas cruise 2 years ago with the wifey and decided that it was the economical and best way of getting oriented to a particular area of interest. Flying in and staying in a hotel was more expensive and should be done only with places we were acquainted already.

Got a chance to go on a Mediterranean cruise with the wifey last October and happy we did. Now we know where to go and maybe stay longer next time. Places covered were mostly in Italy with a day of stay in Barcelona and Dubrovnik respectively.

Hope to do a Baltic/Northern Europe cruise in the future.

Got some pics of the interesting places...

Click the thumbnails for bigger pic.

Last edited: