• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

I want to mess around with Linux again, recommendations for a noob?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I wasn't impressed with lxqt. No major problems, but it didn't feel particularly light to me. I preferred the older lxde. Plasma's a nice desktop, but it's a bit like flying a plane. Lots and lots of options, and not always where I expect them. Your description of showing hidden files doesn't sound right though. Should just be open the menu, and check the [Show Hidden Files] checkbox. Similar to Thunar at least.
When you say, 'open the menu'...?
Screenshot_20210831_201633.png

Bear in mind I customised the toolbar only by adding 'show hidden files' and 'configure dolphin'.

Beneath the menu I opened is the back/forward buttons, then icon/compact/details view/'sort by' options.

- edit - hold the bloody phone.... see that space to the right of 'configure dolphin'... that apparently is a general purpose dolphin menu with no icon or text to identify it!
- edit 2 - I've just played with kubuntu in a VM, which had the same problem to begin with, but I think the button is blank because the icon theme pack I picked (one that kubuntu comes with be aware, 'ubuntu mono light'), has no icon for that button, so it's blank. <facepalm> The only icon packs which appear to work correctly in this respect are Breeze and Breeze Dark, but their icon packs suck :)

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not in front of my Plasma machine right now to see exactly what the button says, but yea, it's all the way right. I'm using the Buuf Plasma icon theme. It's not to everyone's taste, but it's unique. I almost always use a Buuf theme on my desktops. I'll sometimes switch for awhile, but I always go back.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm not in front of my Plasma machine right now to see exactly what the button says, but yea, it's all the way right. I'm using the Buuf Plasma icon theme. It's not to everyone's taste, but it's unique. I almost always use a Buuf theme on my desktops. I'll sometimes switch for awhile, but I always go back.
That looks like a several-years-old gnome theme I think?

<reads further down> last updated 15 years ago... christ, how long have I been flirting with Linux... yeah, over 20 years...

• Haha
Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That looks like a several-years-old gnome theme I think?

<reads further down> last updated 15 years ago... christ, how long have I been flirting with Linux... yeah, over 20 years...
There's newer versions. The one I'm using on xfce was last updated a few years ago I
think, and Buuf Plasma(proper noun) was last updated a few months ago. But yea, it's been around awhile. :^)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
If you want something that mostly just works and for every day use with not too much fuss, I find Linux Mint is pretty good. So is Ubuntu and that is kind of the default goto but I find Mint is more polished. If you want to mess more with it, like get under the hood, there's the more advanced ones like Gentoo, Arch Linux, Slackware etc or even Linux From Scratch. TBH I always tell myself I want to mess more with those and never end up doing it. I actually want to make my own distro at some point, not necessarily from scratch but basically a super custom installer for an existing one so I can automate some stuff to my liking when installing multiple systems. So messing with the more advanced ones will let me learn more how to do it.

There is also a nice diagram for the different difficulty/advancement levels in Linux distros.

I always find that one amusing haha.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS