I want to create something as a hobby. Woodworking?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Woodworking is cool, especially if you work with technical stuff all day. You get to build something with your hands and bring out your creative side. You can start a project, leave it alone for weeks, and come right back to it; you'll see it take shape and feel good about it. And there are a lot of cool tools you can buy. :cool:

One of the great things about it is that nothing is perfect. If you work in a technical profession, a lot of things are rigid and either work right or don't. With woodworking, you sort of get back to that "natural" side of things where flaws are OK and add to the beauty of it.

Reactions: Zeze and lxskllr

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I like painting minis. You get a nice physical end product you can display. I have a 3d printer which is really cool for making functional objects, especially if you know 3d design tools. I never liked working with wood much for art. Too inconsistent. If you're going to carve something soap-stone or other soft stone is fun. The end pieces are much cooler than wood carvings imo. My favorite was always metalwork though. I took a bunch of jewelry and metalsmithing classes back in college. Its kinda tool intensive though. I'd check local community colleges to see if they have classes in some of this stuff to try it out before you invest in a toolset for anything.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
My job doesn't produce anything tangible.

I want to build something and have a sense of accomplishment from what I made.

A simple woodworking? I have nothing to get started on this.

What else? Lego would be the easiest answer but doesnt exactly interest me.

Perhaps it doesnt need to be tangible. Something that I can create during my free time that I can easily pick up and resume.

Or anything at all. Feel free to

I do casual photography for fun. This checks all the boxes (printing tangible). But anything else?
Metalwork.

Go home, sit down, smoke a joint or whatever-it-is-you-do and then search for this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wGMj7o6AwnM
Utsushi - in search of Katsuhira's tiger.

Have a bucket handy, it will blow your brain right out of your skull.

Reactions: Midwayman

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
How about fixing/re-finishing furniture? I've always wanted to do that, but I just don't have any space to work. Plenty of crappy old stuff on craigslist. Sand it down, repair it, stain it, use, giveaway, or resell it.
You may be onto something