I want to create something as a hobby. Woodworking?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
My job doesn't produce anything tangible.

I want to build something and have a sense of accomplishment from what I made.

A simple woodworking? I have nothing to get started on this.

What else? Lego would be the easiest answer but doesnt exactly interest me.

Perhaps it doesnt need to be tangible. Something that I can create during my free time that I can easily pick up and resume.

Or anything at all. Feel free to

I do casual photography for fun. This checks all the boxes (printing tangible). But anything else?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You're a city boy, right? Woodcarving would be approachable. Takes less room, and is absolutely quiet. Bonus is you can buy some nice German carving tools, and learn how to sharpen them. You'll acquire a practical life skill, even if you don't take off with the carving,

il-fullxfull-314672689.jpg

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
You're a city boy, right? Woodcarving would be approachable. Takes less room, and is absolutely quiet. Bonus is you can buy some nice German carving tools, and learn how to sharpen them. You'll acquire a practical life skill, even if you don't take off with the carving,

il-fullxfull-314672689.jpg
Wow. Good stuff.

Any links to get started? Most basic equipments and table etc... I have an unfinished basement.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Wow. Good stuff.

Any links to get started? Most basic equipments and table etc... I have an unfinished basement.
I haven't been into it since the web got big :^D All my resources were paper books. Wikipedia looks like a solid start...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_carving

A few knives, a few gouges and a mallet would give you the basics to start. Add a couple flat stones, a slip stone, and a piece of leather for sharpening. There's also chip carving. You could do that with a single knife. Basically putting a design into a plank of wood.

Reactions: highland145

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I haven't been into it since the web got big :^D All my resources were paper books. Wikipedia looks like a solid start...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_carving

A few knives, a few gouges and a mallet would give you the basics to start. Add a couple flat stones, a slip stone, and a piece of leather for sharpening. There's also chip carving. You could do that with a single knife. Basically putting a design into a plank of wood.
Any work you are willing to share and how many hours went into each piece?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Any work you are willing to share and how many hours went into each piece?
Nah, I wasn't very good at it. Probably why I kind of lost interest, but I would like to give it another shot. Maybe try primitive art. It'll be more approachable for my clumsy hands :^D I did a flying goose that's at my mother's house. I guess I'm sort of proud of it since it was one of my first attempts, and it looks like something, but it really is a piece of shit. She kept it cause I made it. Parents... :rollseyes: :^D

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Any redneck can carve wood, plus it takes up a lot of space.

But pencil tip carving. . .

Dart-Vader-Micro-Sculptures-pencil-carving-by-Salavat-Fidai-1024x1024.jpg

pencil-tip-carvings-by-salavat-fidai-cover.jpg

game-of-thrones-pencil-lead-art.jpg

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Pencil carving's super cool, but I'd have about as much chance flying by flapping my arms as I would carving something nice in a pencil lead.

Reactions: highland145

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
How about fixing/re-finishing furniture? I've always wanted to do that, but I just don't have any space to work. Plenty of crappy old stuff on craigslist. Sand it down, repair it, stain it, use, giveaway, or resell it.

Reactions: Zeze

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
- Software development (apps, games, including mobile). Unity is an incredible IDE/framework that makes it not too difficult to make cross platform games.

- Musical instrument. Teach yourself the instrument and work up to writing a simple song.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Have you considered cooking? It's very easy to get amazing results at home, plus you can learn plating for presentation, as well as photography - and you get to eat the results!

If you do want to do sculpting & carving, you can do it for fairly cheap with cake-making. I service a number of small bakeries & have been able to see how they work behind-the-scenes, they do really amazing stuff! You can make crazy creations with rice krispie treats & fondant! (a lot of the large custom shapes on top of a cake are made with those two ingredients).

Plus a lot of bakers use airbrushing for final presentation, so you can sculpt, carve, AND paint with this hobby. This is a rice krispie treat puppy coated with modeling chocolate & finished with edible paint: (basically sprayable food coloring)

airbrush_tutorial.jpg

Rice krispie treat sushi:

Rice-Krispie-Treats-Sushi-Bento-Box-Sushi-Candy-3-b.jpg

You can get creative with silhouettes made out of chocolate, gloss finishes, etc.

amazing-cakes-11-1487097198.jpg

Reactions: paperfist

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
who the fuck has time to do shit after work?> maybe on the weekend I guess. Finish your basement.

Reactions: paperfist