I voted for McCain

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Benefits? There is no financial benefit to get married after you crunch the numbers anymore for most people.

Yes there is. If the whole domestic partnership thing didn't exist, to share your benefits, you'd have to get married. Therefore, being able to "share" the benefits is considered an advantage to being married. That is why I mentioned the domestic partnership is literally a way for you to cherry pick a good aspect of marriage (being able to provide benefits from one of the people) and apply it without having to take all the negative aspects (losing the financial aid, losing money from taxes, etc).

I also don't think what you're doing is necessarily right... you don't have a partnership, it's a relationship. I'm looking at it from a progression like ... friendship -> partnership -> relationship -> marriage/union. Now, you may not agree with that and you're welcome to think whatever you want. It's just my opinion.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Benefits? There is no financial benefit to get married after you crunch the numbers anymore for most people.

Yes there is. If the whole domestic partnership thing didn't exist, to share your benefits, you'd have to get married. Therefore, being able to "share" the benefits is considered an advantage to being married. That is why I mentioned the domestic partnership is literally a way for you to cherry pick a good aspect of marriage (being able to provide benefits from one of the people) and apply it without having to take all the negative aspects (losing the financial aid, losing money from taxes, etc).

I also don't think what you're doing is necessarily right... you don't have a partnership, it's a relationship. I'm looking at it from a progression like ... friendship -> partnership -> relationship -> marriage/union. Now, you may not agree with that and you're welcome to think whatever you want. It's just my opinion.

You have absolutely no experience with this issue. You have no wife/domestic partnership or children. How could you possibly understand or draw such a conclusion and deem it educated?

Also, why should I be pressured so much to be legally recognized by the state as married? Why is that the right thing to do to people? Why is what I am doing wrong?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You have absolutely no experience with this issue. You have no wife/domestic partnership or children. How could you possibly understand or draw such a conclusion and deem it educated?

Also, why should I be pressured so much to be legally recognized by the state as married? Why is that the right thing to do to people? Why is what I am doing wrong?

So, which of the following statements are not true then?

1) You love your girlfriend and do want to get married
2) While marriage provides the same ability to provide benefits with your spouse and child, you take losses in other areas financially.
3) The domestic partnership provides the same ability to provide benefits with your partner and child, but you do not incur the same financial losses.
4) Essentially, marriage is only a term and one can live the same life that they would married or not. You even call her your wife quite often in various threads (usually in L&R).

I don't see where I'm going wrong here :confused:.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Then you voted for a mental midget who lost.

agreed, and aren't you a New Yorker? If so, your vote was among the 20% of New Yorkers that voted McCain.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

Looks to me like you want the best of both worlds, without the responsibility etc.

Look to me like you're trying the game the system, grab *handouts* that are *free* to you but others are paying for.

You want to be *non-married* in order to get collge money, save taxes, and insurance benefits. But then you also want the benefits of being married to have somebody else pay HI for the kid.

Personally, I've thought that only the employee should be covered, with an option to purchase HI for their spouse and kids out of their own (before tax) money. When I was an employee I was single for the most part and didn't much care for the fact that married employees with kids got more benefits than me (more expensive HI). But there's no reason to run around calling calling other people bigots because of it. You do know that employers can include *domestic partners* if they want to? There is nothing stopping them. Disney has long provided HI to gay (unmarried) couples. I'm just against the government making them do it.

Again, man-up, quit hating on people because you're not given even more free stuff, and take responsibility for your personal decisions.

It's not up to the government, and by extension the rest of us as taxpayers, to support your lifestyle and material desires.

If your girlfriend is a student with litle income, it seems to me the kid would be covered by Medicaid anyway (as well a whole bunch of other support like Food stamps and WIC etc).

Fern

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-

Looks to me like you want the best of both worlds, without the responsibility etc.

Look to me like you're trying the game the system, grab *handouts* that are *free* to you but others are paying for.

You want to be *non-married* in order to get collge money, save taxes, and insurance benefits. But then you also want the benefits of being married to have somebody else pay HI for the kid.

Personally, I've thought that only the employee should be covered, with an option to purchase HI for their spouse and kids out of their own (before tax) money. When I was an employee I was single for the most part and didn't much care for the fact that married employees with kids got more benefits than me (more expensive HI). But there's no reason to run around calling calling other people bigots because of it. You do know that employers can include *domestic partners* if they want to? There is nothing stopping them. Disney has long provided HI to gay (unmarried) couples. I'm just against the government making them do it.

Again, man-up, quit hating on people because you're not given even more free stuff, and take responsibility for your personal decisions.

It's not up to the government, and by extension the rest of us as taxpayers, to support your lifestyle and material desires.

If your girlfriend is a student with litle income, it seems to me the kid would be covered by Medicaid anyway (as well a whole bunch of other support like Food stamps and WIC etc).

Fern

It is his family. His benefits should cover his child. It is ridiculous that they should be forced into marriage just to get benefits. The divorce rate and such are already high enough. If they are happy and they are functioning then they shouldn't need to get married. It is their choice. Now, the way that insurance works is that he should be able to support his child and cover them with his insurance. No person should have to choose between taking a child to a doctor and trying to buy that child food. This guy actually wants to get the coverage and is willing to take the pay cut for it. He should get it. There are plenty of scumbags out there who choose not to cover their kids because they'd rather pocket the money.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Stifko

agreed, and aren't you a New Yorker? If so, your vote was among the 20% of New Yorkers that voted McCain.

New Yorker by birth. I live in NJ which also goes Dem all the time. And I certainly don't agree that McCain is a mental midget. He was outclassed by the slick and well-funded Obama campaign, but in truth I believe that whoever won the Dem. nomination could have pulled this off.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: ThePresence

New Yorker by birth. I live in NJ which also goes Dem all the time. And I certainly don't agree that McCain is a mental midget. He was outclassed by the slick and well-funded Obama campaign, but in truth I believe that whoever won the Dem. nomination could have pulled this off.

When the last month of your campaign consists of throwing guilt by association attacks at your opponent instead of pushing your own ideas and plans, I believe you would be considered a mental midget.

Jul 7, 2008
Originally posted by: shadow9d9

When the last month of your campaign consists of throwing guilt by association attacks at your opponent instead of pushing your own ideas and plans, I believe you would be considered a mental midget.

As long as I can remember, Obama's campaign consisted largely of painting McCain as Bush 2, blaming the republicans for the majority of our problems, while at the same time injecting his plan of hope and change into our system. McCain also had some reasonable plans, but the media and the zealots that worship Obama chose to dwell on silly attack ads. McCain should have went straight for the throat, but instead he went the tradional route - something Obama did NOT do.

McCain had ample opportunity to expose Obama but he didn't, and that's his own fault. So in a way, I do agree that McCain's capacity for effective propaganda is lacking, but to call him a mental midget....well...that's just plain ol' mean.

Both parties are guilty of attack ads, Obama more so - because he won.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
And I would again, if he were running against an unknown such as Obama.
However, I must say I have never seen such emotion, such an outpouring of fervor for a man. I missed JFK, so I have never seen a man able to move so many so much with his words. He has an inborn power to move people, even if he were white. It's not his color, it's his skill and talent. I am fearful of what he will do but I hope he does well. All Americans should hope for that, regardless of party and color.

good post.

change isn't always a bad thing... stop worrying. it's irrational.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Aikouka

So, which of the following statements are not true then?

1) You love your girlfriend and do want to get married
2) While marriage provides the same ability to provide benefits with your spouse and child, you take losses in other areas financially.
3) The domestic partnership provides the same ability to provide benefits with your partner and child, but you do not incur the same financial losses.
4) Essentially, marriage is only a term and one can live the same life that they would married or not. You even call her your wife quite often in various threads (usually in L&R).

I don't see where I'm going wrong here :confused:.

Pretty much. Again, where is the problem? What am I doing wrong?

What responsibility are you referring to that I do not embrace?

What handouts? These are not handouts. These are benefits that I work for and were guaranteed when I was hired by the state. You cannot work for something and call what you receive a "handout".

Who is paying for HI my kid? I work hard, my SO works hard, and we both pay lots of federal taxes. I want my pay to be cash and benefits just like anyone else and I want the same family benefits that married couples get for their families for doing the exact same amount of work. Why is this a problem? Who does this harm? Sounds to me like I am earning my share while you are putting me at the kind of level as someone who doesn't work and is on welfare. Yes, my SO is getting college money in the form of state grants, but guess what? When she is done she is going to be getting a better job than what she has now which is already decent (assistant controller for a large restaurant equipment distributor). She will be paying back society with her hard work and increased taxes once her education is complete. Are you against all forms of government grants for higher education? If not then why are you against her getting any especially since she is someone who is also working full time and paying federal income taxes?

I am not asking for anything that is free. I am asking to be able to work and be paid the same benefits as those who are legally recognized as being married by the state. Why is that bad? Keep in mind that I am also a state employee and my entire job revolves around providing them with a service that helps reduce costs A LOT in my department. The kinds of costs that are something like 5 times my paycheck annually so don't even start with me about your tax dollars.

She is not an unemployed student. She has a ton of work experience and full time job now as I specified above. She doesn't qualify for medicaid or any other form of welfare. That's the problem with this country. Their is an income bracket where people do not qualify for social services, but they cannot afford what the private industries have to offer either. They are stuck for a long time. Why do you think so many people choose to not get off welfare? It is because they cannot get a job that makes ends meet and provides for their children or themselves. My SO is not having THAT much trouble like those people by any means but she still is a part of that income bracket. Just the higher end of it.

At the end of the day, these amendments have not taken away any benefits yet. This is something that is just a vulnerability. They have not changed yet because as it stands for right now the state sees things my way and most states in this country see these things my way too. There is a good reason for that. I swear both of you are talking to me like I am some lazy douchebag who lives his life on welfare handouts or some kind of criminal tax evader. What the hell is wrong with you two? All I want is to be able to provide my family with HI while not being forced into a position where I have to get married in order to do it. I work for every last thing that I get. I just want to be paid the same as anyone else who has a family. It isn't asking much and thankfully I am getting it for now.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001

That doesn't say much then for BHO ... after all the money he spent, all the people acting to get out the vote and do other campaign chores, with the press 62% or more in his favor (according to Dems that were polled) ... with economic and political conditions in his favor, all he could pull out against a "mental midget" is ~5 points lead?

He (BHO, the one, that one) must really suck then if that's all he could get for all that time, money, and efforts of so many people (not to mention Oprah herself!!).

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: ScottMac

That doesn't say much then for BHO ... after all the money he spent, all the people acting to get out the vote and do other campaign chores, with the press 62% or more in his favor (according to Dems that were polled) ... with economic and political conditions in his favor, all he could pull out against a "mental midget" is ~5 points lead?

He (BHO, the one, that one) must really suck then if that's all he could get for all that time, money, and efforts of so many people (not to mention Oprah herself!!).
you actually think it was easy for a minority to win the US election? a large percentage of voters in this country will only vote for a white christian male, that includes some from the left as well.

the fact is in order for a minority of any type (sex, race, religion, etc) to win the presidency took a perfect storm of events.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Obama received a mere 1.5 points more than Bush did in '04.

The quicker you guys get over this Obama-mania and come back down to reality, the sooner this forum can make some actual progress of its own. :p