I tried my hand at Stained Glass...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
100W Soldering Iron - $40 (I already had one)
Carbide Glass Cutter - $15
Solder - $15
Copper Foil Tape - $7
Flux / brush - $6
Ammonium Chloride - $5 (re-tins soldering iron tip after it gets old and dirty)
Grinding Stone - $8
Glass - $7/sqft (the dragon was 2 sqft green, plus scraps of white/red/orange)
Book - $15 (was useless...found the same info online)

So, if you have absolutely nothing, and you get only the essentials... it would be around $110.
Once you have the iron, cutter, solder, tape, flux, etc... it would be around $20 in glass.

Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: LookingGlass
Very nice, good job. I love Stained Glass. The most beautiful stained glass I've ever seen, is Tiffany Stained glass. Do a google image search, it's breath taking. Absolutely beautiful in person. I went to a Tiffany exhibit last year, and saw first hand, some of his stained glass panels and windows. It's eye candy, the depth, color on top of color. I just stood there in awe. Stained glass is wonderful, the way the light hits it, the possibilities are endless. Again, good job! Keep up the good work!
Link
Nice work, OP.
OMG.

Dogo

Mar 14, 2007
Niice man that's awesome!

I did stained glass once... I made a jewelry box for my mom's birthday a few years back. It was just something interesting to do and I really enjoyed it. Except, I can't count how many times I burned my fingers... damn soldering.