I thought it was illegal to deny someone water at a restaurant?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: gsethi
I own a couple of restaurants in California. Yes, we can charge for the water cup (it is up to the restaurant owner/management to decide). We provide free water (and free water cups) to our customers though (yes, those small transparent 9oz water cups cost us ~11cents + cost of ice + cost of filtered water) but I see it as providing little extra service to our customers (as compared to other restaurants that charge for water cups - i dont blame them though b/c of the cost + higher costs of doing business in CA).

At one point, i was thinking of either discontinuing water cups (or charging for them) at one of the restaurants b/c apparently some people (kids, teens and middle aged people also) will fill them up with soda but decided against it. Now, i am planning on putting up a sign that says that drinking soda from a water cup will be considered as stealing and will be dealt accordingly without any exception. :D

I did catch a few people filling in Sprite in water cups and then claiming that it was water (pls dont do this and think that the manager/owner cannot find the difference - carbonated soda will have bubbles :p and we got cameras :D - there is a reason we give transparent cups for water even though they cost us more than small soda cups)

That's why I axed what OP considered a restaurant. One with waiters and drinking glasses is diff'rent than one with self-serve and plastic cups. It's more understandable for the latter to charge for a cup, especially sans a meal. As for signage in your establishment, I advise a positive spin -for instance: "We happily provide complimentary cups of water for customers. Please don't use them for your own beverages." Also, if soda was priced reasonably then customers are more likely to buy it than bring their own! Overcharging creates bad will. I had breakfast in a place recently and a small glass of crappy from-concentrate juice was $4 which is enough for a gallon of real juice. Fail!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: MAME
Situation:
California. Customer pays for a meal at a restaurant. Requests (free/tap) water and told that it's 50 cents. I thought there was a law that requires a restaurant to provide free (tap) water, especially to a paying customer.

Is there a way I can easily search for this in the law books?

God, I hope not. That would be a pretty fucking stupid law.

look , he admits he is in California, would you really be surprised?

I'm in California and I've never been charged for water at a restaurant. No, it wouldn't surprise me at all if some idiot introduced a bill for that and the sheeple voted it into law here though.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
I'd say no problem. Calmly finish my meal. and then leave with out paying the check.

Edit: if the service was good I'd leave a tip tho.

re4fusal of free water is no excuse to be a thief. I would hope they get they get the plate number as you leave and call the police on you.

You try and fvck me I'm gonna fvck you harder. Thats my motto.

so you would commit a crime over a $.05 glass of water? amazing.

soon as they say its a charge i would walk out no matter if the food is on the way. but to eat the food and then leave? no.

And you'd walk out on eating over 5 cents? This thread reeks of stupid. :eek:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
I'd say no problem. Calmly finish my meal. and then leave with out paying the check.

re4fusal of free water is no excuse to be a thief. I would hope they get they get the plate number as you leave and call the police on you.

soon as they say its a charge i would walk out no matter if the food is on the way. but to eat the food and then leave? no.

the OP was charged $.50 it cost the resturannt less then a cent. maybe $.0005 a glass.

sure $.50 for a cup of water is insane (should mention NOT ONE PLACE around here charges. in fact you get it soon as you sit down). if htey are that type then they are going to be the type to try to nickle and dime a person. not the type of place i want to go.

one place charges you $.25 for ketchup for fries, you want extra mayo, mustard etc on teh burger? another $.75

needless to say i don't go there. you screw with the costumer they will go someplace else.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
what cheap skate asks for tap water at any restaurant?

i wouldnt be caught dead doing such a thing.

clear the way we got a big baller in the house.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: TallBill

sure $.50 for a cup of water is insane (should mention NOT ONE PLACE around here charges. in fact you get it soon as you sit down). if htey are that type then they are going to be the type to try to nickle and dime a person. not the type of place i want to go.

one place charges you $.25 for ketchup for fries, you want extra mayo, mustard etc on teh burger? another $.75

needless to say i don't go there. you screw with the costumer they will go someplace else.

I wouldn't walk out over that but it might influence my choice next time I go out to eat.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

You call it a crime. I call it a free business consultation for the owner.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

The law agrees with waggy and does not agree with you - so its not a "free business consultation for the owner" but actually stealing

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Exterous

The law agrees with waggy and does not agree with you - so its not a "free business consultation for the owner" but actually stealing

While you are correct. Its only a crime if you are caught. I can guarantee I will not return to that restaurant.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

I wouldn't walk out over that but it might influence my choice next time I go out to eat.

Yeah, thats the line of thought that I was experiencing. If the total value of the food/service wasn't worth the cost then I wouldn't return.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Exterous

While you are correct. Its only a crime if you are caught. I can guarantee I will not return to that restaurant.

It's a crime even if you are not caught. Grow up.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I never been charged for water at a sit down restaurants.

If I ordered to go, there were some places that charged $0.25 to $0.50 to cover the boxes/cups/etc.

If you don't like how a place runs its business, just vote with your wallet/feet and go somewhere else.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
This is stupid. The world would be just a slightly better place if everyone would just say "Sure. No problem." in cases like this instead of being so damn greedy.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
If somebody tried to charge me for a glass of tap water I would leave. In fact, there might be a hole in the wall shaped just like me I would leave so fast...

I remember WAY back when there was a water shortage and you had to ask for water, but they still didn't charge you for it. (Before the water shortage it was customary to fill all the water glasses at the table.)

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001

you're in the UK. we're in the US. customs are different.

in the US, i'd say that ~20-40% of beverages served at restaurants are glasses of tap water.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

No wonder everyone thinks you're a tool. Any crime is a "crime" by your definition if you're caught. Why don't you go kill someone, as it's not a crime unless the cops catch you :roll: Idiot.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
If somebody tried to charge me for a glass of tap water I would leave. In fact, there might be a hole in the wall shaped just like me I would leave so fast...

If I went to any place that did that, they would not get my patronage again.

sometimes i wonder how (if?) the members of ATOT function in the real world

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: KK
Originally posted by: FoBoT
where do you live that you don't pay a water bill? :confused:

I guess you never had a well. :confused:

hahah yeap.

i have NEVER recieved a water bill. but have a well i have to maintane heh

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006

ummm someone like my ex mother in law. she ant drink soda, coffee or tea due to the caffeine and sugar, so if they dont have decaf tea she drinks water. i doubt people are up in arms about people going and eating at a restaurant and getting water, ive never been charged at all for that. if i walked into a restaurant and asked them only for a glass of water, i wouldnt be surprised if i got charged a bit of cash. especially at a place near a school where kids would be coming in and overusing that aspect. mcdonalds by my house growing up would give free water all the time (and does now again), but when my friend and i were young and bored we would go there and get water and just sit there for hours with nothing ele to do. they started charging us for the water and we topped going. pretty effective way to get the loitering teen out of the picture and paying business back in.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: davestar

If I went to any place that did that, they would not get my patronage again.

sometimes i wonder how (if?) the members of ATOT function in the real world

What's wrong with the 3rd quote? That is the correct way to respond to a business that has a policy you disagree with.