I think my AVR is dying/dead?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
My Marantz AV-9000 preamp processor was 1200. Back in 1999.

My Denon from 2002 is still kicking. It cost me $1,100 USD back then. That would be $1,500 in today's dollars. Outside of the newer inputs, I think that it was built light years better than today's offerings.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Model of your receiver? You didn't mention if it has pre out. It makes more sense to spend cash just on amp than replace the prepro as well if you have pre out.

Thing with the new receivers is their amp stage are utter crap. Especially they only tell you thd of one or two channel driven, not all channel.

Last edited:

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Have to check when I get home, but as far as I can remember, there are no pre-outs except for the subwoofer.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Have to check when I get home, but as far as I can remember, there are no pre-outs except for the subwoofer.

Look at slick deals for receivers though then ones I have seen all have crappy amp stage.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
What does that mean "began dying"? I'd be pissed if my $1400 receiver died after 5-6 years.

The center channel speaker would not always get a signal from my receiver. Changing the center to the right channel speaker had the same effect. We used to have Marantz as a partner at work so luckily i only paid $700, but still for me anything over $400 is a splurge so I will never buy Marantz again. I could have gotten Denon, i have no idea if they quality is better or not, probably is. I still have my Marantz and should sell it on craiglists explaining it is broken.

OP with HDR and other advancements you would be better off with the newest and greatest as opposed to repairing.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The center channel speaker would not always get a signal from my receiver. Changing the center to the right channel speaker had the same effect. We used to have Marantz as a partner at work so luckily i only paid $700, but still for me anything over $400 is a splurge so I will never buy Marantz again. I could have gotten Denon, i have no idea if they quality is better or not, probably is. I still have my Marantz and should sell it on craiglists explaining it is broken.

OP with HDR and other advancements you would be better off with the newest and greatest as opposed to repairing.

Marantz, Denon, Def Tech, Boston Acoustics, Polk are all owend by Sound United

Samsung picked up Harmon International.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002

Yes, over $400 is a splurge. I always do my research, decide on specs/features I want, find best price, etc. Then I save up! Delayed gratification.

As for the newer receivers, they are not built like they used to be. My Denon is still going strong after 15 years, but the newer ones are disposable. It's a shame if you spend over $1K and it's not high quality, IMO.

Reactions: JimKiler

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
never mind wrong thread

5eiXbJ2.gif

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
So I turned it on with nothing plugged it (other than power obv) and I noticed the cooking fan wasn't spinning. Is there a temp sensor attached that only turns it on once a certain temp is reached?

If not and the fan is faulty, would replacing it be likely to solve the issue? No real dust inside... shorts unlikely.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So I turned it on with nothing plugged it (other than power obv) and I noticed the cooking fan wasn't spinning. Is there a temp sensor attached that only turns it on once a certain temp is reached?

If not and the fan is faulty, would replacing it be likely to solve the issue? No real dust inside... shorts unlikely.

There is usually a sensor that turn on fan when it reaches certain temp. You can test fan by disconnecting its power connector and feeding it whatever power it needs and see if it works. Replacing fan should be easy.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Will it say the rated power on the top of the fan? Ie, 28VDC, etc?

I'm not a hobbyist though, how am I supplying it this power from a clean source, other than soldering together a bunch of small batteries and wires? Potentially use my CPU fan cooler power pins from my computer?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Will it say the rated power on the top of the fan? Ie, 28VDC, etc?

I'm not a hobbyist though, how am I supplying it this power from a clean source, other than soldering together a bunch of small batteries and wires? Potentially use my CPU fan cooler power pins from my computer?

Fans tend to have input requirement on the sticker on the hub of the fan. Tend to be 5 or 12vdc so you can use a spare molex feed from psu.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Mk that works.

Assume the fan works, and all the caps inside look fine (there was not much dust build up anywhere). Pretty sure at that point it's toast?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Mk that works.

Assume the fan works, and all the caps inside look fine (there was not much dust build up anywhere). Pretty sure at that point it's toast?

Or not worth fixing. That is the problem with everything cheapening out, it is just not worth fixing things.

Reactions: bigboxes

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I just have a feeling it's not the fan, even if the fan isn't working. I've turned the AVR on after sitting around unused all night and still nothing.

Sigh.. Thanks, I think you've helped just about as much as you can.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I just have a feeling it's not the fan, even if the fan isn't working. I've turned the AVR on after sitting around unused all night and still nothing.

yyou sure there was no speaker cable short?
What's amp stage? I only know of "sound stage", but again, I'm obviously no audiophile.

A receiver is an all in one unit, it tends to have tuner (well, going away these days), video switch, preamp-processor and amplifier.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Could just be the relay going. There is a relay that controls the amp stage power supply, so the receiver doesn't draw too much power at the same time and trip up the breaker.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
But again, I don't really know how to test and replace this stuff, and even if I can watch a youtube video on how to do it, I really don't have the time for hours of tinkering. I'm game to hook my PSU up to the fan molex and see if it spins (and replace if need) but that's really it. And if I'm paying some guy to test and replace parts... that's prob the cost of half a new one or more.

I replace my own brakes and oil, but I'm not into pulling out transmissions to replace a clutch, if you see my meaning here.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
But again, I don't really know how to test and replace this stuff, and even if I can watch a youtube video on how to do it, I really don't have the time for hours of tinkering. I'm game to hook my PSU up to the fan molex and see if it spins (and replace if need) but that's really it. And if I'm paying some guy to test and replace parts... that's prob the cost of half a new one or more.

I replace my own brakes and oil, but I'm not into pulling out transmissions to replace a clutch, if you see my meaning here.

of course. well. good luck. not much I can do remotely :p