I think my AVR is dying/dead?

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Have an Onkyo 5.1 for maybe 6 years now, and recently ALL my speakers have been failing at once, then suddenly coming back on... all at once. Happens on any channel I try on the AVR, such as when I use my Ps3. Seems like when it's shut off for a while it works, but then a light popping sound is heard then a minute or so later, total sound failure, with no faint sound of "hissing" from speakers or anything, just dead silence.

Seems to me the AVR is donezo, but could it be anything else? It doesn't seem to be the input cable, because the cable box is now hooked directly into my TV and sound is playing from the TV. It could be the output cable... but that seems kind of unlikely, but could be easily tested.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Do you use HDMI? Onkyo for the past few years has had a historically faulty HDMI connection and has extended the warranty of some of the products until 2018. I chalk Onkyo up to Seagage, I'll never buy either one again because of the failure rate. I purchased an Onkyo for my other (before it was a well known issue) and she purchased a new AVR after 6 months. I avoid them like the plague.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Have an Onkyo 5.1 for maybe 6 years now, and recently ALL my speakers have been failing at once, then suddenly coming back on... all at once. Happens on any channel I try on the AVR, such as when I use my Ps3. Seems like when it's shut off for a while it works, but then a light popping sound is heard then a minute or so later, total sound failure, with no faint sound of "hissing" from speakers or anything, just dead silence.

Seems to me the AVR is donezo, but could it be anything else? It doesn't seem to be the input cable, because the cable box is now hooked directly into my TV and sound is playing from the TV. It could be the output cable... but that seems kind of unlikely, but could be easily tested.

Well, my mother-in-law just commented how much power my 15 year old Denon puts out. I would say you could have a broken AVR. First, I would check for a protection switch. Reset that digital switch and you may be good to go. Secondly, I would check for physical fuses that have blown. If you find one that is blown then replace it and most likely that is your issue. Beyond that, check cables and settings. Does it do this behavior with all settings? Maybe you accidentally pushed a button on the remote/front of receiver and now it plays like crap. Normal troubleshooting. My Denon has a cooling fan inside the unit. Check to see that yours is operational. Clean it if necessary. It may not be cooling down your AVR and the unit shuts down when it gets too hot. Outside of that, you may need to take it to a repair shop. You'll have to decide whether it's worth the $$ to fix the older unit.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
The behavior is with any setting, or with any AVR channel I am on, thru HDMI. I haven't checked optical, but that's because I don't have an optical cable... I used to but I don't know where it went. The top does get insanely hot, much hotter than it used to. I'll see if the cooling fan is running or not, could be that it's overheating and shutting itself down. However, when it shuts down, the video to my TV is still fine, even though audio stopped working. So... HDMI could potentially be just fine since my audio to my 5.1 is through the normal speaker ports via banana plugs.

How much does a shop typically charge for repairs? At 6 years old.... I feel like it'd almost be better off buying a cheaper 5.1 Denon or Yamaha. All I really need is 5.1 with a few outputs, maybe USB. I don't use bluetooth or internet on it, etc.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
why is it getting hot? Audio shuts off after how much time in use? Have you cleaned off dust and provide good ventilation?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
why is it getting hot? Audio shuts off after how much time in use? Have you cleaned off dust and provide good ventilation?

Yes. I was thinking about cleaning off the fan, but clean and dust the entire interior and see if that has an effect on performance. Dust acts as an insulator.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
It's not a set amount for shutting off. Sometimes I turn the TV on after not being on for like 10 hours, and no audio will play, but then it randomly comes on minutes later. However, it's confusing because... Why does video work just fine, but audio is getting wacky? I checked all audio connections, they are secure and connected fine. Plus, why all of them go out at once, then come back all at once? Doubt it's the speakers or the cables.

I'll try opening up the panel to look inside, but the fan does seem to run properly. Could be some dust in there...But I am starting to look at replacement options.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's not a set amount for shutting off. Sometimes I turn the TV on after not being on for like 10 hours, and no audio will play, but then it randomly comes on minutes later. However, it's confusing because... Why does video work just fine, but audio is getting wacky? I checked all audio connections, they are secure and connected fine. Plus, why all of them go out at once, then come back all at once? Doubt it's the speakers or the cables.

I'll try opening up the panel to look inside, but the fan does seem to run properly. Could be some dust in there...But I am starting to look at replacement options.

Could be iffy caps. When you open it up to blow off dust, look for bulging caps.

Do the dust blowing outdoors :D

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Could be iffy caps. When you open it up to blow off dust, look for bulging caps.

Do the dust blowing outdoors :D
Safe to suck the dust out with a small vacuum?

This sucks listening to movies and TV on my crappy TV speakers.. D:

I miss my walls rumbling. Neighbors must be happy..

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Safe to suck the dust out with a small vacuum?

This sucks listening to movies and TV on my crappy TV speakers.. D:

I miss my walls rumbling. Neighbors must be happy..

Yeah you can do that too.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Is there anything decent for $<200?

Don't need anything fancy, just needs 5.1 and like 3 HDMI inputs. Would be nice to have all analog inputs take banana plugs, but I guess it's not needed.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Is there anything decent for $<200?

Don't need anything fancy, just needs 5.1 and like 3 HDMI inputs. Would be nice to have all analog inputs take banana plugs, but I guess it's not needed.

Err analogue inputs are RCA.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
It weights less than the box of my amp...

The problem is not the weight though. It's the horrible output specs.

The weight is indicative of what's inside. It's not like he can put a brick inside its case and it will suddenly be a good amp.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The weight is indicative of what's inside. It's not like he can put a brick inside its case and it will suddenly be a good amp.

Well, it's a class D, but there are ways to get good output from class D.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Err analogue inputs are RCA.
From the speakers, not RCA cables. The cheaper boxes just have the tabs you press to insert the twisty wire, but my Onkyo has female spots for banana plugs, of which I've twisted my speaker wire into.

It just feels more secure, plus I didn't spend like $20 on gold plated connectors for nothing... D:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
From the speakers, not RCA cables. The cheaper boxes just have the tabs you press to insert the twisty wire, but my Onkyo has female spots for banana plugs, of which I've twisted my speaker wire into.

It just feels more secure, plus I didn't spend like $20 on gold plated connectors for nothing... D:

Those be outputs to speakers, not inputs.

<---grew up in an electronics parts mid level distributor

Here is a decent class D

https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=4466

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
What?? DIY...?

I want a box with some HDMI inputs, and some HDMI and speaker outputs. Looks like from the sound of things, I'm not going to get away with a "cheap" box. Either I spend $350+ to get good amplification, or I cheap out and get bad signal quality.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
The behavior is with any setting, or with any AVR channel I am on, thru HDMI. I haven't checked optical, but that's because I don't have an optical cable... I used to but I don't know where it went. The top does get insanely hot, much hotter than it used to. I'll see if the cooling fan is running or not, could be that it's overheating and shutting itself down. However, when it shuts down, the video to my TV is still fine, even though audio stopped working. So... HDMI could potentially be just fine since my audio to my 5.1 is through the normal speaker ports via banana plugs.

How much does a shop typically charge for repairs? At 6 years old.... I feel like it'd almost be better off buying a cheaper 5.1 Denon or Yamaha. All I really need is 5.1 with a few outputs, maybe USB. I don't use bluetooth or internet on it, etc.

When my $1400 Marantz began dying after 5-6 years i looked at repairs but it would be at least $400 so i spend that much on a new Yamaha, which are always reliable. I wish it had a better room EQ but everything else is great. My company is a partner to Onkyo now but i am still not sure the discount would be worth it since there are so many issues with their receivers.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
What?? DIY...?

I want a box with some HDMI inputs, and some HDMI and speaker outputs. Looks like from the sound of things, I'm not going to get away with a "cheap" box. Either I spend $350+ to get good amplification, or I cheap out and get bad signal quality.

No just showing you there are good class D amps. If your receiver has pre outs, then you could just get a five channel amp.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
When my $1400 Marantz began dying after 5-6 years i looked at repairs but it would be at least $400 so i spend that much on a new Yamaha, which are always reliable. I wish it had a better room EQ but everything else is great. My company is a partner to Onkyo now but i am still not sure the discount would be worth it since there are so many issues with their receivers.

What does that mean "began dying"? I'd be pissed if my $1400 receiver died after 5-6 years.