I think chopsticks are dumb.

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Taejin
Originally posted by: DLeRium

1) True asians dont fvcking eat shrimp fried rice 24/7. The white rice to fried rice ratio is like 10:1 or whatever. Furthermore, if by sticky rice you mean glutinous rice, that's in fact probably easier to eat with a fork. Most white rice is sticky enough by nature that it's easy to eat with chopsticks. Fried rice is probably easier with a spoon or fork.

2) Chopsticks = cultural thing. Forks are perhaps the easiest to use and even if my chopsticks skills were way up there, I'd still have to concede the fork is a lot better. But for the sake of being Asian, I use my chopsticks.

What do true asians do with fried chicken? How about baby back ribs?

It cracks me up how some people (who happend to be asian) seem to have this chip on their shoulder against white people embracing their culture. You should be happy, hell honored that Americans are so open and willing to try new things. Where is all this anger coming from? Jesus, I know black people who aren't nearly as angry as some of you come off.

first he manages to incorporate racial divide into his statement, and then he manages to include racial stereotypes of black people.

got a real genius here.

It's called irony and humor. Clearly a concept lost on you.

Tell you what, I'll add a :p for the mentally challenged mkay?

So you think categorizing everyone who happens to like chopsticks more than forks/knives as asians irony? In fact, you go as far as to say that 'we' should be honored that Americans will even try chopsticks.

Where's the humor? I don't see it.

Your angry black people bit sure was funny and classy. Nice to know you've got it in you.

I don't even see how adding a ':p' makes any of your statements ironical and funny. It seems pretty juvenile and stupid to me.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

1) True asians dont fvcking eat shrimp fried rice 24/7. The white rice to fried rice ratio is like 10:1 or whatever. Furthermore, if by sticky rice you mean glutinous rice, that's in fact probably easier to eat with a fork. Most white rice is sticky enough by nature that it's easy to eat with chopsticks. Fried rice is probably easier with a spoon or fork.

2) Chopsticks = cultural thing. Forks are perhaps the easiest to use and even if my chopsticks skills were way up there, I'd still have to concede the fork is a lot better. But for the sake of being Asian, I use my chopsticks.

It cracks me up how some people (who happend to be asian) seem to have this chip on their shoulder against white people embracing their culture. You should be happy, hell honored that Americans are so open and willing to try new things. Where is all this anger coming from? Jesus, I know black people who aren't nearly as angry as some of you come off.

first he manages to incorporate racial divide into his statement, and then he manages to include racial stereotypes of black people.

got a real genius here.

So you think categorizing everyone who happens to like chopsticks more than forks/knives as asians irony? In fact, you go as far as to say that 'we' should be honored that Americans will even try chopsticks.

Your angry black people bit sure was funny and classy. Nice to know you've got it in you.

I don't even see how adding a ':p' makes any of your statements ironical and funny. It seems pretty juvenile and stupid to me.

Beep Beep :p;

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

got a real genius here.

Well, clearly you need to remove the stick from your ass first.

Really, I was responding to this stupid comment with the second part of my post...not DLeRium's comments:

Originally posted by: Raduque
Originally posted by: bignateyk

The only thing left is that people think they are special when they use them (i'm talking about white people who use them).

Yep. I hate chopsticks because of all the pretentious white people who sit around eating sushi like they're Asian from birth. :roll:

That combination of posts makes about as much sense as an American getting bent out of shape when he sees an Asian eating a hamburger with his hands. Really, it comes off as sounding racist. And it certainly isn't classy.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I am Korean, and I always thought it was so odd to see the Chinese eat rice with chopsticks. It's a bitch trying to eat rice with that (but easier with sticky rice).

In Korea, we are given a spoon along with our chopsticks; we use spoons for rice and soups, while we use chopsticks for side dishes.

EDIT: OP, your friends suck at chopsticks.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: theman
I just read something about how the Chinese chop down 100 acres of trees every hour to produce chopsticks, or something insane like that. Chopsticks suck.

That is because of Amerikinsky favoring disposable chopsticks.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Chryso
Originally posted by: Anubis
I just read something about how the Chinese chop down 100 acres of trees every hour to produce chopsticks, or something insane like that. Chopsticks suck.

you can get plactic ones or ivory ones and such

I heard that the Chinese chop down 100 elephants every day to produce ivory chopsticks.

Lol, long gone are the ivory chopsticks. They are ivory coloured plastic chopsticks. I still prefer hardwood ones.

Calculator83

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Calculator83
Don't start your hate. I am Chinese.

I was eating today with friends and only had one pair of clean chopsticks while I needed two. So, I subed for a fork. And I was looking at my friend who is also Chinese, struggle at some point to pick up a mushroom.

Logically, it just seems that chopsticks more or less does the same thing requiring more dexterity and effort.

They also can't pick up small flat pieces sticking the the plate as well, because they're straight so you can't scoop with leverage.

I think asians use chopsticks for traditions sake, and white people for novelty sake.

I'm abandoning them as of now.

just cause you can use chopsticks doesn't mean you use them well.

You should move on from denial into acceptance and just figure out that it's not the chopsticks that are the problem, but you.

Fuk you, just cuz you have nothing go through your head before you speak doesn't make you cool.

I happen to use chopsticks perfectly, "you should've read a few more posts" until the one i mentioned i'm a master at the wet marbles game.

you like hearing your own voice, and that is just sad cuz , ur probably just in denial that no one likes you.

my first line was DON"T hate, and you simply couldn't get that through your ugly thick skull

you obviously don't use chopsticks 'perfectly' if you're having so much trouble you're contemplating abandoning them.

Telling us you're good at something and then mentioning in the same breath that you suck at it and therefore are not using it anymore is tantamount to 1) a broken sarcasm meter or 2) schizophrenia exhibited by the Bush Administration.

shut the hell up.

God dame, you are such a prick. where did i ever say I'm not proficient at chopstick usage.

You've got serious issues. I honestly believe you're the type with fictional friends because I don't see how anyone can put up with your attitude for long before ignoring you all together.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

I was eating today with friends and only had one pair of clean chopsticks while I needed two. So, I subed for a fork. And I was looking at my friend who is also Chinese, struggle at some point to pick up a mushroom.

Logically, it just seems that chopsticks more or less does the same thing requiring more dexterity and effort.

They also can't pick up small flat pieces sticking the the plate as well, because they're straight so you can't scoop with leverage.

I think asians use chopsticks for traditions sake, and white people for novelty sake.

You should move on from denial into acceptance and just figure out that it's not the chopsticks that are the problem, but you.

Fuk you, just cuz you have nothing go through your head before you speak doesn't make you cool.

I happen to use chopsticks perfectly, "you should've read a few more posts" until the one i mentioned i'm a master at the wet marbles game.

you like hearing your own voice, and that is just sad cuz , ur probably just in denial that no one likes you.

my first line was DON"T hate, and you simply couldn't get that through your ugly thick skull

you obviously don't use chopsticks 'perfectly' if you're having so much trouble you're contemplating abandoning them.

Telling us you're good at something and then mentioning in the same breath that you suck at it and therefore are not using it anymore is tantamount to 1) a broken sarcasm meter or 2) schizophrenia exhibited by the Bush Administration.

shut the hell up.

God dame, you are such a prick. where did i ever say I'm not proficient at chopstick usage.

You've got serious issues. I honestly believe you're the type with fictional friends because I don't see how anyone can put up with your attitude for long without ignoring you all together.

From OP

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Ns1

shut the hell up.

You've got serious issues. I honestly believe you're the type with fictional friends because I don't see how anyone can put up with your attitude for long without ignoring you all together.

From OP

describing a weakness in a tool != being bad at useing said tool

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

shut the hell up.

From OP

I can pick up flat items just fine, so it must not be a weakness in the tool...

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I'm pretty proficient with chopsticks. For some things I like them better than others. I don't have any problem with chopsticks but what I have a problem with is Chinese food that is supposed to be eaten with them but is not cut into the proper sizes as to be easily eaten using chopsticks. For that I blame the chef. Sometimes you just need a knife and fork. Do not ask the people who are trying to eat your food with chopsticks to pick up a fist sized piece of somewhat tough meat with them and take a bite out of it. Cut that junk into chopstick friendly sized pieces! Jesus for a civilization as old as the Chinese, using chopsticks as long as they have, you'd think Chinese chefs would have figured that out by now. If you're gonna have pieces of food in your dish bigger than what an average person can fit in their mouth, PUT A DAMN KNIFE ON THE TABLE!

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
. . .bicker bitch bicker bitch snip snip snip. . .

From OP

I can pick up flat items just fine, so it must not be a weakness in the tool...

It depends on if the business ends of the chopsticks are pointy or blunt. Typically I like ones that taper down to a finer point on the end than ones that are strait. You can do finer more delicate work more easily with them than you can with the bigger blunter ended ones. Also I find wooden ones tend to offer more "grip" or friction than plastic or metal ones which makes the food easier to pick up with them. But they are less sanitary if you plan to reuse them and they don't hold up as well over time.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ahurtt
I'm pretty proficient with chopsticks. For some things I like them better than others. I don't have any problem with chopsticks but what I have a problem with is Chinese food that is supposed to be eaten with them but is not cut into the proper sizes as to be easily eaten using chopsticks. For that I blame the chef. Sometimes you just need a knife and fork. Do not ask the people who are trying to eat your food with chopsticks to pick up a fist sized piece of somewhat tough meat with them and take a bite out of it. Cut that junk into chopstick friendly sized pieces! Jesus for a civilization as old as the Chinese, using chopsticks as long as they have, you'd think Chinese chefs would have figured that out by now. If you're gonna have pieces of food in your dish bigger than what an average person can fit in their mouth, PUT A DAMN KNIFE ON THE TABLE!

you gotta order from a different takeout place.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: sdifox

No, it has become a big problem in China as they modernize. Their environmental policies have been lagging behind their modernization causing a ton of problem, disposable chopsticks being just one of them. There is a smalll but growing "green" movement in china.

http://www.ajc.com/news/conten.../02/08/chopsticks.html

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: quikah

No, it has become a big problem in China as they modernize. Their environmental policies have been lagging behind their modernization causing a ton of problem, disposable chopsticks being just one of them. There is a smalll but growing "green" movement in china.

still don't know why supply would be a problem since bamboo is a giant weed...

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006
I've never been good with chopsticks, but my mother, grandmother, and grandfather could all pick up a dime laying face down on a flat surface with chopsticks.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Or use reusable plastic/stainless/etc chopsticks.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

I actually own a pair of those collapsible chopsticks. Don't like them all that much. I like my hardwood chopsticks at home...

hunewbie

Sep 18, 2007
Originally posted by: StormRider
I'm Chinese and I prefer using a fork. One of the reasons I don't like chopsticks started when I was a kid and my family went to eat at a Chinese restaurant with some family friends that I didn't know too well. I noticed that everybody ate with chopsticks scooping rice into their mouths from the bowls and then using those same chopsticks (which was inside their mouths) to grab some food from the shared dishes. And then I thought, "ewww, everybody is putting their spit in the shared dishes".

well, traditionally...there are two sets of chopsticks...one community for shared dishes and one for downing your own bowl of rice...it depends on which restaurants you go to...most restaurants will now provide a spoon for community dishes (for the non chopstick users)...

Chopsticks > Forks

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

I actually own a pair of those collapsible chopsticks. Don't like them all that much. I like my hardwood chopsticks at home...

Yeah, collapsible ones are weaksauce. I meant one's that aren't disposable. However, I have seen some that you need to screw together and they work just like regulars ones.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Aw crap I voted wrong!!! I hate chopsticks, i always have a feeling that they are some sort of a deadly ninja weapon.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
I hate the chopsticks I get at a lot of the chinese restaurants because they have square edges. Round or round-corner chopsticks FTW.