I think chopsticks are dumb.

Calculator83

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Don't start your hate. I am Chinese.

I was eating today with friends and only had one pair of clean chopsticks while I needed two. So, I subed for a fork. And I was looking at my friend who is also Chinese, struggle at some point to pick up a mushroom.

Logically, it just seems that chopsticks more or less does the same thing requiring more dexterity and effort.

They also can't pick up small flat pieces sticking the the plate as well, because they're straight so you can't scoop with leverage.

I think asians use chopsticks for traditions sake, and white people for novelty sake.

I'm abandoning them as of now.

Oct 25, 2006
I actually think its harder to use forks than chopsticks.

I don't know about you, but Chopsticks are much better for eating than forks. I can eat individual grains of rice, not struggle to pick up peas, eat noodles without them slipping off my fork and do all kinds of neat stuff.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
chopsticks are more hygenic because you throw them out after you use them.

probably better for the environment too if you cut them out of managed pine forest.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Your friend is Chinese and struggled to pick up a mushroom? That's sad, and I'm white. I love chopsticks, only because they do a couple of jobs. Plus, most of the food is prepared ahead of time to be smaller and easy to pickup without requiring cutting, so there's another utensil you don't need.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
seinfeld: i'll tell you what i like about chinese people. they're hanging in there with the chopsticks,aren't they? you know they've seen the fork. they're staying with the sticks. i don't know how they missed it. chinese farmer gets up, works in the field with a shovel all day. shovel. spoon. come on. you're not plowing 40 acres with a couple of pool cues!

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Atheus

probably better for the environment too if you cut them out of managed pine forest.

Most people reuse chopsticks.

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
I'm going to make weight loss chopsticks....

People typically can't eat as fast with chopsticks as they can with a fork. Using this logic, it will serve as its own weight loss solution since people 'might' end up eating less because they will stop eating as they feel full as opposed to before they finish their plate.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Chopsticks are easier to use than a fork for rice. The easiest way to eat Asian food is Thai-style.. fork the food onto a spoon. Brilliant!

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
youre a chopstick noob, we get it. and youre talking about disposable chopsticks, try some real chopsticks some time. its the difference between cheap ass plastic forks, and real silverware.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Sphexi
Your friend is Chinese and struggled to pick up a mushroom? That's sad, and I'm white. I love chopsticks, only because they do a couple of jobs. Plus, most of the food is prepared ahead of time to be smaller and easy to pickup without requiring cutting, so there's another utensil you don't need.

Agreed, I'm white and can use chopsticks better than your friend. The only thing I have difficulty grabbing is like massive chunks of meat that should have been cutten up.

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Atheus

I'm guessing you've never seen non-disposable chopsticks.

Edit: As for the OP, there are pros and cons of each.

/thread

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I agree with the OP. I've tried to use them on several occasions to no avail so they seem kind of useless to me.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
I do think they are kinda silly ... I really can't get why some people insist they are easier... Unless you were raised with them I don't really know why you would use them... I def think it is for novelty

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I'm Chinese and I prefer using a fork. One of the reasons I don't like chopsticks started when I was a kid and my family went to eat at a Chinese restaurant with some family friends that I didn't know too well. I noticed that everybody ate with chopsticks scooping rice into their mouths from the bowls and then using those same chopsticks (which was inside their mouths) to grab some food from the shared dishes. And then I thought, "ewww, everybody is putting their spit in the shared dishes".

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Chopsticks are stupid. What the hell is the point? It sure as hell isn't more efficient. I've always finished my meal about twice as fast using a fork as the other guy trying to use chopsticks.

The only thing left is that people think they are special when they use them (i'm talking about white people who use them). I can understand if you are asian and you are just used to them, but there is NO reason for anyone else to use them.

OUCaptain

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
I love them. I keep the bundle of cheapies with the silverware and a pair of good ones. I can snatch a fly from midair with those babies.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Chopsticks are stupid. What the hell is the point? It sure as hell isn't more efficient. I've always finished my meal about twice as fast using a fork as the other guy trying to use chopsticks.

The only thing left is that people think they are special when they use them (i'm talking about white people who use them). I can understand if you are asian and you are just used to them, but there is NO reason for anyone else to use them.

It depends. If your rice is cooked right and you know how to use chopsticks as if they were your fingers, for me it is much easier to use chopsticks. Picking up a glob of rice with a fork is a pain because it wants to fall off.. chopsticks you just grab the fucker and dig in.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Farang
Chopsticks are easier to use than a fork for rice. The easiest way to eat Asian food is Thai-style.. fork the food onto a spoon. Brilliant!

Easier maybe if you have sticky rice. Requiring food to be prepared a certain way or cut up before hand and then saying chopsticks is better is absolutely ridiculous. I'm tired of the west's glamorization of Asian culture, from acupuncture to astrology. Enough with the orientalism already. Chopsticks a cool novelty but they're inferior.