I submit John McCain

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
http://blog.washingtonpost.com...gaffe_in_jordan_1.html

AMMAN, Jordan -- Sen. John McCain, traveling in the Middle East to promote his foreign policy expertise, misidentified in remarks Tuesday which broad category of Iraqi extremists are allegedly receiving support from Iran.

He said several times that Iran, a predominately Shiite country, was supplying the mostly Sunni militant group, al-Qaeda. In fact, officials have said they believe Iran is helping Shiite extremists in Iraq.

Speaking to reporters in Amman, the Jordanian capital, McCain said he and two Senate colleagues traveling with him continue to be concerned about Iranian operatives "taking al-Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back."

Pressed to elaborate, McCain said it was "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran, that's well known. And it's unfortunate." A few moments later, Sen. Joseph Lieberman, standing just behind McCain, stepped forward and whispered in the presidential candidate's ear. McCain then said: "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

lol, I don't know what to say. If he'd just said it once, I could see it being a honest mistake. Saying it several times, with such specific emphasis, you get the idea that he just doesn't have any idea what he's talking about.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Easy. Any extremist, or anyone fighting us in Iraq, is considered "Al Qaida." Because that's the name Americans know, and that's the name the Americans fear.

Even through the Republican debates, time and time again, every single one of the candidates (other than Paul of course) claimed that "Al Qaida" would take over Iraq if we left.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: bamacre
Easy. Any extremist, or anyone fighting us in Iraq, is considered "Al Qaida." Because that's the name Americans know, and that's the name the Americans fear.

Even through the Republican debates, time and time again, every single one of the candidates (other than Paul of course) claimed that "Al Qaida" would take over Iraq if we left.

lol yeah, which is hilarious, because AQ would be annihilated in the face of an unrestrained Shia populace.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Heh, it took Bush a whole war to even know these groups existed, not that he knows what any of it means :p

McCain doesn't look very good eh?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Heh, it took Bush a whole war to even know these groups existed, not that he knows what any of it means :p

I actually like McCain a lot more than Bush. Bush was a shitty governor here in Texas before he was a shitty President. McCain I do have respect for, and I think he is an interesting person. That said, I don't think he's a true conservative in any real sense. And it's becoming clear that his foreign policy 'expertise' is paper-thin. Not that any of the Presidential candidates have much to say about that. We don't have an Eisenhower to call upon, unfortunately.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider

I actually like McCain a lot more than Bush. Bush was a shitty governor here in Texas before he was a shitty President. McCain I do have respect for, and I think he is an interesting person. That said, I don't think he's a true conservative in any real sense. And it's becoming clear that his foreign policy 'expertise' is paper-thin. Not that any of the Presidential candidates have much to say about that. We don't have an Eisenhower to call upon, unfortunately.

His understanding is either flawed or he is being dishonest. Either way, :thumbsdown:.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Now, all McCane has to do is talk about the gay Al Qaeda terrorists coming illegally from Mexico to sex our white women and he's got the Presidency in a bag.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Personally I'm not voting so I could care who wins. Really, all I know is bush will be booted out and I won't be sorry to see him go...

I usually side with Democrats and I hate to say it but if Hillary gets the D ticket then I will side with Mccain since I want someone new in office and hopefully they will have a brain. I hate this Bush/Clinton Dynasty BS... I'm not down with it at all I think she should have tried her luck 4 years ago... not now.... After this election lets hope bush or clinton is never mentioned on the ballots again.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
We'd need more troops to take on Iran too.
I'm almost positive we don't need that right now.

Lt 486

Banned
Mar 17, 2008
McCain got my vote!
Good president should be misinformed and able to lie on any subject.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Lt 486

if that's you're only standard, get ready to write-in McHillbama. :p

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Lt 486

if that's you're only standard, get ready to write-in McHillbama. :p

Doh. I'm far from satisfied with any of the candidates.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
All Al-Qaeda are extremists, but not all extremists are Al-Qaeda!

It is hard to tell some of these people apart.

Iran is definitely pro-terrorists.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Ever get the feeling that we are nation-building and aren't really supposed to be there anyways?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Ind. Liebs making another play for VP?

I though that too when I saw him snuggled up to Mac at every photo op.

Fern

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
If McCain wants to be the commander and chief so can he gets to play fantasy football for real, he should at least first invest in a program. So that he at least knows the numbers on the other sides jerseys, where they come from, and what positions they play.

McCain may have a good understanding of the various generals on the USA side of the fence, but you can't read the other side's offense or defense without understanding how they operate and work together.

But if you believe that a military solution is possible for Iraq, McCain might be your candidate or one might decide that the dems can do that better given the fact that McCain quite clearly does not do coaching job one which is scouting and understanding the opposition.

But after exactly five years of an attempted military solution for Iraq under GWB&co, it should be quite clear by now the a military solution is not bearing any fruit. Thereby implying that diplomacy is going to be the deciding factor. And much of the success now attributed to the surge is due instead to such on the ground diplomatic contacts with
Iraqi insurgent leaders started well before the surge was even contemplated.

And there it looks even worse for McCain, because he has to have some sort of common language and understanding of those he will be negotiating with in any diplomatic process.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Pretty pitiful jab at McCain.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/a...es2/2008/03/020073.php

"He corrected himself almost immediately, saying "I?m sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not Al Qaeda." And it sounds as though he did, in fact, simply misspeak. What is more significant is how the Democrats and the mainstream media reacted to this non-event. They condemned McCain for ostensibly failing to understand that Iran couldn't possibly train al Qaeda terrorists, since al Qaeda is a Sunni organization and Iran is a Shia country. This is what passes for sophistication in the lamest precincts of the media."

"It is the AP (and other media outlets like the Washington Post and the New York Times) that fails to understand the relationship between Iran and Sunni terrorists, not John McCain. The AP's statement that there is "no evidence that al-Qaida has benefited from Iranian assistance" is flatly wrong, and shows a breathtaking level of ignorance."

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: LTC8K6

"He corrected himself almost immediately, saying "I?m sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not Al Qaeda." And it sounds as though he did, in fact, simply misspeak. What is more significant is how the Democrats and the mainstream media reacted to this non-event. They condemned McCain for ostensibly failing to understand that Iran couldn't possibly train al Qaeda terrorists, since al Qaeda is a Sunni organization and Iran is a Shia country. This is what passes for sophistication in the lamest precincts of the media."

"It is the AP (and other media outlets like the Washington Post and the New York Times) that fails to understand the relationship between Iran and Sunni terrorists, not John McCain. The AP's statement that there is "no evidence that al-Qaida has benefited from Iranian assistance" is flatly wrong, and shows a breathtaking level of ignorance."

That is false. He did not correct himself, Joe Lieberman did. And it wasn't "immediately" as in 'the Iranians are training al Qaeda--err, extremists--" he had to wait for a pause so Lieberman could whisper in his ear that the Iranians do not train al Qaeda.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: LTC8K6

Ah, he corrected himself because Joe Lieberman pulled him away from the mike and whispered the correct information into his ear. If you saw the press conference it was painfully clear that McCain didn't have a clue. And that was the third time in as many days he made the same misstatement of basic fact relevant to this war.

It's pretty safe to say that if Obama did this it would be trumpeted far and wide as proof positive of his inexperience. As for McCain, I think it is proof positive that he, like his spiritual predecessor GWB, lacks a basic understanding of what the Iraq conflict really is. Instead they rely on rah-rah slogans and false patriotism.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
If we accept the thread premise that McCain is clueless about the opposition and what makes it tick, then that should sound alarm bells across this nation. Because this kind of ignorance is not excusable and is a clear and ever present danger to everyone serving in Iraq. Because that kind of ignorance can and will get our people killed.

Five damn years into an occupation and McCain has yet to bother to learn about basic regional facts.

Shocking and appalling. And McCain is the best candidate the GOP can field?

Maybe true if you want to compare him with Rudy.