I Sell Dead Babies

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
lol,

stupid liberals, trying to use Ayn Rand.

-John

Who wrote the following?

"Abortion is a moral right—which should be left to the sole discretion of the woman involved; morally, nothing other than her wish in the matter is to be considered. Who can conceivably have the right to dictate to her what disposition she is to make of the functions of her own body?"

and this:

"An embryo has no rights. Rights do not pertain to a potential, only to an actual being. A child cannot acquire any rights until it is born. The living take precedence over the not-yet-living (or the unborn)."

and this:

"Observe that by ascribing rights to the unborn, i.e., the nonliving, the anti-abortionists obliterate the rights of the living: the right of young people to set the course of their own lives. The task of raising a child is a tremendous, lifelong responsibility, which no one should undertake unwittingly or unwillingly. Procreation is not a duty: human beings are not stock-farm animals. For conscientious persons, an unwanted pregnancy is a disaster; to oppose its termination is to advocate sacrifice, not for the sake of anyone’s benefit, but for the sake of misery qua misery, for the sake of forbidding happiness and fulfillment to living human beings."

and this:

"I cannot quite imagine the state of mind of a person who would wish to condemn a fellow human being to such a horror. I cannot project the degree of hatred required to make those women run around in crusades against abortion. Hatred is what they certainly project, not love for the embryos, which is a piece of nonsense no one could experience, but hatred, a virulent hatred for an unnamed object. Judging by the degree of those women’s intensity, I would say that it is an issue of self-esteem and that their fear is metaphysical. Their hatred is directed against human beings as such, against the mind, against reason, against ambition, against success, against love, against any value that brings happiness to human life. In compliance with the dishonesty that dominates today’s intellectual field, they call themselves “pro-life.”

Here are a couple of hints:

The Voice of Reason
The Objectivist Forum

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Ayn Rand is for woman doing whatever they want to their body, fuck Government.

Government is the entity that tries to take away rights from woman.

-John

Yeah, Roe v Wade really fucked women over, didn't it?

A serious question, if you believe that all government does is take people's rights away, then why do we have it at all?

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
And you still won't listen to logic.

I'm not very liberal actually, but that is usually the first word out of the mouth of people like you.

You just don't get it.

Silly bubble.
Yeah, You are Authoratarian, hate people, wish you had more friends.

If you were here in Denver, I'd hangout with you.

-John

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You would prefer that women not be allowed to own property, I presume? There is a reason why it is ideologically impossible for a libertarian to be anti-choice. Self-ownership is the fundamental basis of private property rights.
Plus, this is just poor women. The wealthy don't use PP, but they get abortions just the same. And will, even if abortion were illegal.
Well said. Abortion is a horrible, terrible thing. Forcing a woman to bear a child she does not want is also a horrible, terrible thing. Unless and until these two things can be reconciled, the woman's ownership of her own body must prevail. Assuming she is a competent adult, she should be capable of deciding for herself which of these is the lesser evil, for life doesn't always present a right choice and a wrong choice. And if we accept that she has that right, then we must accept that she makes the right decision for her circumstances.

Funny how it takes two to tango but it's never the guy who gets slut-shamed.
Sure they do, unless they are very powerful Democrats. Clinton and Ted Kennedy became heroes to the left, but Wiener was forced out, Packwood was forced out, Herman Cain crashed and burned, Gary Hart was ruined. Some surprisingly powerful men get slut-shamed out of power. For less well-known (and less powerful) men they generally lack the visibility to be effectively slut-shamed (although the Ashley Madison hack may change this) but they are also at the woman's mercy as to whether they will be paying child support for a child they may never even know - or even ofr some other man's child. They don't get a vote and in fact the woman has the option of filing for back child support after eighteen years, depriving them of any possibility of having the benefit of the child but leaving the financial responsibility. Biology makes it somewhat one-sided, but society also goes a long way toward redressing that.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Ayn Rand is for woman doing whatever they want to their body, fuck Government.

Government is the entity that tries to take away rights from woman.

-John

So in some weird way you're trying to use pretzel logic to say the Government is forcing women to have abortions and paying for them?

Last edited:

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Yeah, Roe v Wade really fucked women over, didn't it?

A serious question, if you believe that all government does is take people's rights away, then why do we have it at all?
Our Government is beginning to take rights away, like making a bakery make a cake for a gay wedding.

They tax us to death, and then spend even more.

It's more like a mob today, than a Government.

-John

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Our Government is beginning to take rights away, like making a bakery make a cake for a gay wedding.

They tax us to death, and then spend even more.

It's more like a mob today, than a Government.

-John

Welcome to the real world.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Who wrote the following?

"Abortion is a moral right—which should be left to the sole discretion of the woman involved; morally, nothing other than her wish in the matter is to be considered. Who can conceivably have the right to dictate to her what disposition she is to make of the functions of her own body?"

and this:

"An embryo has no rights. Rights do not pertain to a potential, only to an actual being. A child cannot acquire any rights until it is born. The living take precedence over the not-yet-living (or the unborn)."

and this:

"Observe that by ascribing rights to the unborn, i.e., the nonliving, the anti-abortionists obliterate the rights of the living: the right of young people to set the course of their own lives. The task of raising a child is a tremendous, lifelong responsibility, which no one should undertake unwittingly or unwillingly. Procreation is not a duty: human beings are not stock-farm animals. For conscientious persons, an unwanted pregnancy is a disaster; to oppose its termination is to advocate sacrifice, not for the sake of anyone’s benefit, but for the sake of misery qua misery, for the sake of forbidding happiness and fulfillment to living human beings."

and this:

"I cannot quite imagine the state of mind of a person who would wish to condemn a fellow human being to such a horror. I cannot project the degree of hatred required to make those women run around in crusades against abortion. Hatred is what they certainly project, not love for the embryos, which is a piece of nonsense no one could experience, but hatred, a virulent hatred for an unnamed object. Judging by the degree of those women’s intensity, I would say that it is an issue of self-esteem and that their fear is metaphysical. Their hatred is directed against human beings as such, against the mind, against reason, against ambition, against success, against love, against any value that brings happiness to human life. In compliance with the dishonesty that dominates today’s intellectual field, they call themselves “pro-life.”

Here are a couple of hints:

The Voice of Reason
The Objectivist Forum
The first thing she would say is fuck Government. After she says fuck Government... are you okay with the rest of the stuff she says?

I am.

-John

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The first thing she would say is fuck Government. After she says fuck Government... are you okay with the rest of the stuff she says?

I am.

-John

No, but it would appear that you are. You're perfectly ok with using the power of government to take control of women's reproductive choices. You're an authoritarian too, just in a different way.

Ayn Rand might have been a bloviating ignoramus, but at least she was consistent.

Nov 25, 2013

I am.

-John

It seems like you don't actually understand Rand at all. And, given how little there is to understand...