I see a lot of smack being talked by the youngsters in here....but do you vote?

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
In the 1996 U.S. presidential election, less than one-third of 18- to 24-year-olds voted. And 15 percent voted in the 1998 congressional elections.

It's official: Young people vote less than any other age group, but it hasn't always been that way.

A year after the national voting age dropped from 21 to 18, and after years of Vietnam War protests, college students went to the polls en masse for the 1972 presidential election.

In fact, in 1972, the 18-20 year olds voted at 48.3% and the 21-24 year olds at 50.7%. Of course, the age groups that consistently vote, the 45-64 year olds and the 65+ group, vastly outvoted the kids. (45-64 @ 70.8% and the 65+ @ 63.5%).

Election after election, the young voter turnout has trended downward, so that in 1996, the 18-20 year olds voted at 31%, the 21-24 year olds at 33.39% while the oldsters continuted to vote in high numbers.....the 45-64 year olds voted at 64.43% and the 65+ group at 67%.

It seems, at least to me, that the groups of people who seem to complain the most, the young people, do little to remedy the situation. They bleat about this and that being unfair, unjust, etc., etc., yet they don't turn out to vote.

I was watching CNN and they just did 10 minutes on the Youth Vote, as if it really meant anything. It was just a meaningless waste of airtime........

So, bleat about how bad things are all you want. You do know why no one takes you seriously, right? Because you talk a lot of smack but do nothing to back it up. I know some of you do vote, and to you I applaud. But the vast majority here can vent their angst all they like, but when it comes time to stand up and really be counted, they'd rather be in bed and blame the outcome on someone else.

As an aside, in the Congressional elections of 1994, the younger two groups were shamed in turnout by the older two groups.....16.6% and 22.4% vs. 56.7% and 61.3%, respectively.

nullFigures taken from the Federal Election Commission.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Well, this will be the first presidential election I'm old enough to vote in and I plan on voting in March and November(I was 5 days too young for the last one)

SynthesisI

Banned
May 21, 2003
If 18-24 year olds are 'youngsters', then I for one at 23 do vote. I talk the talk and also walk the walk. :) I vote every chance I get to do my part as a citizen of democracy. So many of us take it for granted when there are still people in poorly run (and poor) third world countries who riot the streets in protest to have their chance to vote.

"Vote? Dude, I'm right in the middle of Unreal Tournament... not right now."
rolleye.gif

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
I also vote

Research to vote, get others to vote, and vote for outcomes--not just because it's trendy

jm0ris0n

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2000
Hell yeah I vote. I figure even though for many of the local races I am not very informed, the fact that one more person in the 18-22 age group is better than nothing !

BTW: Go Dean !

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: jm0ris0n
Hell yeah I vote. I figure even though for many of the local races I am not very informed, the fact that one more person in the 18-22 age group is better than nothing !

BTW: Go Dean !

<-voter:)
<-caucuser:D

BTW - We(iowa) just got done telling dean to "Go!" :p:D

CkG

jm0ris0n

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2000
;) I would prefer Dean in the end, but like I have mentioned before, andy democrat other than Al Sharpton is an improvement over what we currently have :)

Lucky 'Iowan' :p

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
I turned 18 shortly before I voted for Reagan in 1984.

I have voted ever since. Though I do skip some of the smaller ones. Lazy me.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
BTW - We(iowa) just got done telling dean to "Go!"
You attended the democratic voting and voted as a democrat. If not your statement is a LIE.

Bleep

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I vote, and I vote in every election in which I am expected, be it local, state or federal. It is my duty, right and pleasure as a citizen to cast my vote.

Cheers!
Nate

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
only the ones that matter. I do not care about school board trustees or such...

Those are the ones where your vote has the biggest impact.

Get the school system back on track.

First vote was for RMN, did not like Humphrey.

Backed the best candidate ever since then.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider

It seems, at least to me, that the groups of people who seem to complain the most, the young people, do little to remedy the situation. They bleat about this and that being unfair, unjust, etc., etc., yet they don't turn out to vote.

Well, the problem is not only do young people not vote but they are totally farking clueless. Young people today are being fleeced left and right by legislation that gurantees old people huge social security and drug benefits for decades. Yet they don't even realize it or even care about it. They are too busy watching Carson Daly on TRL or text messaging their friends about what to wear to the prom.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Dissipate

Well, the problem is not only do young people not vote but they are totally farking clueless. Young people today are being fleeced left and right by legislation that gurantees old people huge social security and drug benefits for decades. Yet they don't even realize it or even care about it. They are too busy watching Carson Daly on TRL or text messaging their friends about what to wear to the prom.

No, I do care about it, but the problem is convincing other asshats to think the same as I. I think being deduced for Social Security(for me at least) is total bullsh!t, because as it stands right now I won't be seeing a dime of it.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: Dissipate

No, I do care about it, but the problem is convincing other asshats to think the same as I.

Exactly, the thing is that this is virtually impossible. Young people who do know what is going on in politics are shunned as being geeks and nerds. The vast majority of young people who are "cool" pay 0 attention to anything remotely related to politics for this reason.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
The young people don't vote in my precinct. At least not many of them. We have some apartments about a mile down the street-filled with 20 somethings-and for the last 6 elections since I've lived in my development I rarely see anyone at the polls under 35. In fact, the voters seem to be predominately older white females.

But, once we get the chip imbedded in their penises/clitorises we'll wring every last bit of democracy out of them....

-Robert

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bleep
You attended the democratic voting and voted as a democrat. If not your statement is a LIE.

Bleep
rolleye.gif

No it's not a lie. We(iowa) - means Iowans. Even though I attended the Republican caucus - we still told dean to go(away), but not with a vote perse.

CkG

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: Bleep

Bleep
rolleye.gif

No it's not a lie. We(iowa) - means Iowans. Even though I attended the Republican caucus - we still told dean to go(away), but not with a vote perse.

CkG

With only 7 electoral votes, Iowa is irrelevant. Haven't you learned from Election 00 already? Even Wisconsin, with its 10 electoral votes, was deemed by experts as being irrelevant in winning the presidency. Only Florida matters!!!