Discussion I remember when Quake2 was the game to play...…..what is the best FPS out right now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Ever sincw Quake2 it seems like the Quake franchise has crapped out......
Unreal use to be OK......

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Q2CTF says "hi"

I would argue that QW CTF was superior to Q2's implementation. Especially if you bring QW Expert CTF into the equation. But I agree that it was better than UT99. UT99 was fun and it had some awesome mods (Like infiltration), but it never had the fluidity that Quake games had.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I would argue that QW CTF was superior to Q2's implementation. Especially if you bring QW Expert CTF into the equation. But I agree that it was better than UT99. UT99 was fun and it had some awesome mods (Like infiltration), but it never had the fluidity that Quake games had.

i only played a little bit of quake (and most of that was the original team fortress) before q2 came out. so i don't remember it so much.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Obviously if you played 5 years of UT with mods and only quake singleplayer, you gonna think UT is better. UT had better graphics too, which were much valued in those years. And you could do a lot of damage with the shock rifle, there sure was a healthy pro community in UT; i just cannot get past the silly movement system.

Anyway, the point is: UT is a pro game. Halo is casual. Quake is a pro game, COD is casual. etc ..

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
In general it seems like arena shooters as we knew them are no longer a thing. The genre is just about dead today.

To many people like feeling like rambos in their casual shooters. Not sure if only me but hackusations have become somewhat of a meme. Heck i am decent and not pro and get accused all the time. People these days simply don't like anyone better then them. I jumped into a UT3 server i think back in 2013 and well i would get dominated like immediately cause the older the game the more likely someone else who has played it since new has every single pixel of that map drilled in their head. Made it very hard for me honestly to even stick around. I would spawn and immediately die or maybe get a glimpse of a enemy if i was lucky then die.

I wouldn't say every arena shooter player dedicated to a older title is a try hard but a newbie hopping on there is gonna be nothing more then fresh meat. The only learning curve you pick up as a newbie is how fast you die pretty much. I would think out of 10 newbies in a room playing Q3A that at least half would leave pretty quick. Not fair to ask a vet to take it easy but also people have to understand the constant non stop dying certainly takes away from fun factor.

I jumped in BF1 pretty late and dealt with many high level players as a noob and i did pretty well. Not pro or MLG but certainly would find myself halfway on the scoreboard more times then not.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I still play Q2 online MP regularly. You can play for free on this server (probably the most populated group of Q2 servers around today, at least in the US):

http://tastyspleen.net

Click on the "New to Quake II?" button. I recommend the R1Q2 client instead of the default Q2Pro client offered. There's a button labeled "Looking for the R1Q2 version? Download v1.3.2 " under the big red download button.